1996 F-150

$285 - $9,589  MSRP Range
1996 Ford F-150

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design
4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have you driven the 1996 Ford F-150?

pass anything but a gas station.

by 16penney from santee,ca on Fri Jun 01 2012

I've always considered this body style to be the best looking truck, especially with aftermarket rims and off road stuff like lift kits and so forth. These f150's are quite popular with off roaders and most of the ones I still see on the road, including my own, have been modified. This is not always a good thing, as some of these trucks have been really thrashed. I have owned my '96 f150 supercab for close to 7 years and the biggest problem I have faced is failing the smog test every other year. Get it repaired and within two years el flunko! The '96 year model differs from the '95 and older trucks in that it has obd II emissions system instead of the older obd I. The horsepower in my 302(5.0) is 199, up from the previos years 185. My truck has 4.10 gears and it does get up and move prettey good for a small block. Those gears also kill any decent gas mileage, I'll get maybe12 or 13 on the highway. Around town it doesn't get gas mileage, nothing I'd care to print anyways. These are strong trucks, the last of the good old Fords. Just really look one of these over really good before you buy one.

Can't say enough. Still LOVIN this truck

by Fordgirl59 from Seattle Area on Fri Nov 06 2015

We bought our 96 F-150 extend cab in 2001 at an excess inventory sale. I was hoping to find an F-150 as our family has always had great success with them. We are extremely pleased with this wonderful model. It it a 2-wheel-drive that has a standard 6-cylinder W/manual transmission. It will probably be our last vehicle purchase if the past 14+ years are any indication. It might sound silly, but one feature it has that I really like is manual windows. They don't break down. I was glad because we plan to drive it until the wheels fall off. We've never done a thing to the engine or transmission other than routine maintenance. A few things like exhaust system, muffler & U-joints have been replaced and some cosmetic repairs & bumper upgrades have been done, but nothing else. This truck's overall reliability exceeded our expectations. I wouldn't recommend this truck for heavy towing, but if you need to haul furniture or stuff to the dump and room for 3 or 4 people + a large dog, it's perfect. I like the fact that it has a good-sized bed. It had 80,000 miles on it when we bought it and that has about doubled. It still starts up in the dead of winter with no difficulty and 0 warm-up required. This has been our only vehicle for more than 7 years. It's been parked outdoors in our rainy Northwest climate. Nothing leaks. The interior looks great and people routinely say, "That's a 96?!" because the exterior still looks great as well. No "Don't laugh. It's paid for" bumper sticker needed. Maintain these trucks right and they run forever. It has never so much as overheated during summer travel and the engine runs like the day we bought it. Heat & air-conditioning work great. I've always been an F-150 fan, but I am amazed at how durable and sturdy these trucks are. 96 must have been a great model year. I think this ol boy will run at least another 15 years.

Last of the Classic Body Style

by Reginald Smith Ford Fanatic from Hazard, Ky. 41701 on Wed May 10 2017

This Ford F 150 is in like new condition and has many years of reliable service remaining plus it has the classic 302 engine that Ford has built since 1967

Most reliable and fun truck to drive.

by FordFanAlways from GREEN VALLEY, AZ on Sat May 26 2018

I felt like a teenager again sitting on top of the world. Plenty of power , good visibility 360 degrees, drove smoothly and easy to maintain. I got almost 200,000 miles on it when I sold and am ready for a newer one, but miss my old one.

Uses car for Towing

I love this truck!

by F-150 kid from Gatlinburg,Tennessee on Sun May 09 2010

I Bought myself a 1996 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4 with the 4.9L I6.It's also got the 5 speed Manual. I've owned it now for 7 years and never had a problem with it. I live in Tennessee, so we go hill climbing in it. Does great off road. Best F-150 ever built! At least I think so.

280,000+ miles and still going

by 96 eddie bauer from on Sat Aug 15 2009

I had a '96 Eddie Bauer Edition that had roughly 235,000 miles on it when it came to me. My stepdad owned it before I did and he never had to replace anything on it, unless you count routine maintanance such as tires and oil. I had to replae the brake pads around 250,000 miles and the power steering pump shortly after. Other than that, it had over 280,000 miles on it when I sold it and the last time I spoke with the guy that bought it from me it's still running strong. Great truck.

208,000 MIles and still going...

by MrWindows from Maricopa, AZ on Fri Apr 04 2008

I purchased my 1996 F150 XL Sport new in October, 1995; I couldn't wait a few more months to get the new '97 coming out in January 1996. Still, it's been a very reliable vehicle for over 12 years. I've replaced the heater core and the clutch master cylinder twice each. I've had to replace one of the catalytic converters and I recently had a major fiasco with the distributor that was more a fault of diagnosis rather than the vehicle. I will have to replace the power steering hoses and possibly the pump soon, along with the oil pan gasket if I don't trade it in. Other than that, aside from standard maintenance items, it's been like a tank. The seat frame wasn't engineered strong enough for a big guy like me. My model is an XL Sport, which was a stripper model: cloth bench seat and rubber mat, 4.9L 6-banger, 5-speed stick and A/C. I did add a bedliner and a basic CD player. The XL Sport had chromed steel wheels and special graphics. Performance-wise, the 4.9L has lots of low-end tork, although gets winded pulling trailers uphill. It will easily cruise at 70mph and still pull in over 16mpg in mostly highway driving. The dark midnight blue metallic paint and the argent sport stripe graphics along the sides and tailgate still invite inquiries as to if I would like to sell it.

Great Truck

by Rebel Squirrel from Chicago Il on Tue Aug 02 2011

My dad got a 92 F 150 when my uncle died in 1998. Truck still runs strong in 2011. Only 2 major repairs in the 13 years we have had it. one being a tranmission and the other being an oil leak. other then that only maintnece. my only complaint is this truck is very under powered, but it does the job we need it to do. we dont have to haul any trailers so its not a big deal. I love driving this truck. when i get my licence i will be sharing this truck with my dad, im really looking forwarad to that. everything on the interior is all i need in a truck. its a great truck for just crusing around town, bike trips, or camping trips

nice truck

by ford man from on Thu Mar 05 2009

very nice truck. i have a v8 manual 4x4 that will go anywhere i want it to. very good power and performance. my truck has over 300,000 miles and is still going strong. i've even over hauled with it. i've never really replaced anything besides the clutch and regular services. ill say this is one of the best trucks ill ever own.

Built Ford Tough

by Angus from wisconsin on Tue Dec 01 2009

This is an absolute great truck. The 351 V8 is bullet proof. The truck handles and rides excellent. Gas mileage could be a bit better but low maintenance costs make up for it.

1 2