2004 Ford Freestar

Nice Van for the money

by from Lansing, MI on March 29, 2010

I live in Lansing MI. In 2010, I purchased a used 2004 Ford Freestar Limited model from an area New/Used Car dealer with "only" 55k miles on it for $9,000 out the door. Other vans I considered were the Dodge Grand Caravan SXT/Chrysler T&C Limited, Kia Sedona EX, & Chevrolet Uplander LT. My decision on the Ford came down to "bang for the buck". I really liked the Stow & Go of the Dodge, but was leary of Dodge's reliability history. The Kia EX model was impossible to find for under $15k used. The Chevy just ran short on bang for the buck. Experience & usage thus far; I drive 85% of the time on the highway. Pros; like the styling, heated leather seats, 6 disc in dash changer; smooth transmission; large gas tank (26 gallons offsets so so mpg) Cons; 3rd row does not offer split folding option. Its either all up or all down. So far this has not been an issue whatsoever but I thought Dodge was really onto something cool in offering this standard. MPG is at the bottom of the average category. I've read posts that people claim to get 25+ mpg. Others get horrible mpg. I have noted 22 MPG (TOPS) on the highways of Michigan when going no faster than 65 mph. You go 70 and your borderline 19/20 mpg. City mpg is horrendous. I've observed 13 mpg as a low and 17 mpg as a high in the city. I cannot seem to get my overall mpg to exceed 18.4 even with 85% being highway, but I guess that's better than the 17 mpg listed. When we were test driving a Gr Caravan for a weekend. I observed 25 mpg on the highway and 18 in the city. (without having to go 65 to get "good" mpg) That being said, I have a 5 member family; 2 are under 3 years old. Car seat connections are excellent. Room abounds even with both seats in the 3rd row leaving the middle captain chairs roomy and comfortable. No problems yet with vehicle. Plan to own at least 4 more years.

Canadian Ford Freestar(2004)

by from anada dollars for it.It's an SE to boot. on August 11, 2013

We have 4.2 Ford Freestar,here in Cananda.While you Americans to the south of us,have the smaller engine version.When we got it from my wife's parents,it had hardly been driven.Due to my father-in-law having C.O.P.D.(WHICYH HE SUCCUMBED TO JULY 14,2012).W e bought the vehicle this past April(end of).We sold our Ford Aerostar(97) which had 498,786kms. for 350.00 Canadian dollars to the wreckers.this is a lincoln by comparison.beautiful ride and only 118,000kms.(67,000miles).At 122,676kms. had to install new Altenator but according to my mother-in-law that would have been it's second.Wew only paid 2,900 Canadian dollars for it(including applic.taxes,plate and vehicle certification).Great Deal!

Incredibly Reliable

by from Cleveland, OH on September 26, 2010

Have put over 90k miles on this minivan and outside of normal maintenance, have had no major issues. Replaced brakes at 65K other than that, it has performed very well. Bought the SEL with the 4.2 liter and the gas mileage is not too great but we wanted something that would get up and go and the 4.2 does just that. Would definently recommend

Cruising @ high speeds on highway is joy

by from md on November 26, 2007

I have used both Windstar and Freestar minivan. The key to a healthy ford vehicle is proper/scheduled maintenance. So far we have driven 3000 miles in the vehicle. We are quite pleased. I prefer driving this to my own luxury suv.

Very reliable

by from Bullhead City, AZ on July 19, 2008

Have 80,000 on vehicle. Purchased with 16,000. Have driven r/t from AZ to Maine 4 times with it. Have had no problems. Put new tires on at 65,000. Did brakes approx 60,000. Otherwise, very pleased with milage and ride.

Very Reliable

by from Perkasie, PA on June 26, 2009

I have over 77,000 on my Freestar and have had no problems. I purchased new and have done the normal 3000 mile oil changes, etc. Very reliable and versatile van.

Catastrophic transmission failure at 67,000 miles.

by from Indiana on February 8, 2008

The money I saved buying the Ford minivan instead of a Honda has now been spent on repairs. Before considering purchase of a Freestar, check the many transmission failures on the NHTSA website.

holding my breath 70,000 and no trouble yet

by from ill. on February 29, 2008

comfort,yes mileage ok, trouble with electric cargo doors most people are impressed from other reviews i'm holding my breath it has done me right still ready to unload asap

Just about the same issues as the person above

by from kansas on January 25, 2008

Had to Trans problem and now a back rotor problem has to be fixed. Also when I fill van with gas . I have to put gasoline in very slow or it will shut back out all over me. Just very unsatisified with this van.

Definitely LIMITED!

by from Washington State on May 3, 2009

Purchased vehicle used less than 2 years ago with 47,000 miles on it. replaced starter, ignition switch, and last month THE TRANSMISSION at less than 63,000 miles! This "Limited" Freestar lives up to its name: LIMITED!! Ford should be recalling the transmissions on these vans -- apparantly theres a HUGE issue there! Instead they "gladly" replace them (obviously making money doing THAT). NEVER again will i buy a Ford!

Our Expert Review: 2004 Ford Freestar