2006 Freestyle

4.2

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money
4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2006 Ford Freestyle?

CVT repair can be expensive!

by RB from Dallas, TX on Sat Feb 05 2011

We got a 2006 Freestyle for a really great price. Freestyle prices are bottom dollar for a really nice and well built vehicle. I liked the interior and overall the car had a good solid feel. It wasn't quite the minivan we wanted, but it was close. We were happy for the first few months, then we went on a 1500 mile trip to see family. 1000 miles into the trip the CVT goes out. No warning, just quits working. We have it towed to a Ford dealer and good thing we had an extended warranty. The repair price almost matched the purchase price! According to Ford, the factory that built the CVT's was closed. Few, if any, parts are available. No new transmissions are available. They only located four rebuilt units; two in Michigan and two in New England somewhere. First they fixed the "Megatronix" control unit, and the CVT still wouldn't work. The CVT's input shaft was sheared. This part was not available. After weeks of waiting and flying home and then having to fly back to get the Freestyle, they had it fixed. The repair cost was over 8000. (CVT~4800 Megatronix~1800 Labor, etc~1500) If the CVT goes, you are up the creek. Also, have the throttle body checked. Our engine surged and died a lot. They had a Service Bulletin to fix the T.B. It ran good after that. After repair we traded the Freestyle in on a minivan. I asked the service manager, my extended warranty company (this was a Ford Certified Pre-Owned Freestyle purchased from a Ford dealer), and Ford Customer Care what happens when the CVT is no longer available, period? I got three answers from three people: 1. "Ford never abandons a vehicle. We'll figure out how to fix them" 2. "If that happens it will be decided on a case-by-case basis." 3. "I don't know." Think about that. As of late 2010/early 2011 These cars sell for 9k-12k fully loaded in immaculate condition for a reason. My local used car superstore informed me they would not sale my old Freestyle on the lot due to warranty and parts costs. And the fact no one wants them anymore. I recommend a Taurus X if you like the Freestyle. It is basically a reworked Freestyle without the CVT. IF YOU BUY A FREESTYLE, GET SOME KIND OF EXTENDED WARRANTY!!!!!

Does not recommend this car!!

"Great Family Car"

by Scout Leader from St. Louis on Wed Dec 12 2007

I've owned an Expedition, Caravan and Full size Van. This car features the best of all. I can't beleive I'm getting 21 city in a 3.5 AWD model. It's perfect for everything a family needs. The CVT transmition is smooth and effective. Great Job!

Alaska Winter Car

by HerbS from Anchorage, AK on Mon Apr 30 2012

After driving Alaskan roads in a Chevy 4x4 [ 8 mpg city/winter ] I was ready for an AWD commuter vehicle with significantly better mpg's. First tank: 18.5 mpg - all in-town driving. Best feature: I rarely need more than two seats in a vehicle, but there are times when six would be good. The Freestyle seats 7 in it's 3 sets of seats. The best feature is that the middle and rear seats fold down so I can load fairly large paintings - I'm an artist - with little effort.

Great Vehicle

by Family truckster from St. Cloud, MN on Wed Nov 02 2011

This has been the most reliable and best functioning vehicle I have ever purchased. It gets great mileage (I had over 30 mpg on one tank on a family vacation) but has plenty of room for kids and friends or hauling things with the seats folded down. It still handles well, not like a big SUV. I think the CVT is a great thing as long as you don't have to tow too much. I love the unlock buttons on the outside of the drivers door. I've owned it 5 1/2 years and it has been very reliable. I put on snow tires in the winter which really help also since it is front wheel drive.

Great Car!!

by Mike A from Ashley Falls Massachusetts on Sun Sep 15 2013

We own a 2007 freestyle limited that we bought new. It has 137000.0 miles on it with no major problems. have done the usual service on wear items. brakes, tires , oil and filters and Ford did a recall on the throttle body and reprogramed the computer which took care of the lunging problem. Love this car. Wish ford had continued building it. I would recommend it to anyone. We have been up and down the east coast many times and the car not only is fun to drive but very comfortable and safe feeling. The only thing I would have done different is with the video system that folds into the roof. When in use it blocks the drivers few with the rear few mirror. hope ford reconsiders bringing this model back.

Love My Wagon

by JP from Pa. on Mon Feb 25 2008

This car has been great. It's very comfortable for me and my family and with the limited we have all the options accept power moon roof. Very impressed with the all wheel drive and the gas mileage not bad at all. Definitely recommend the car.

Pleasure to drive

by G-Force1 from Forest Hill, Md on Mon Oct 10 2011

Ford sure got this vehicle right! I am amazed at how smooth and comfortable the ride is, as well as the excellent performance of the CVT Transmission. What a value, blows the imports away with style!

Doin' it again.

by NorEast driver from Western NY on Thu Jun 12 2014

I'm on my second Freestyle. I had one for a company car back in '06. In a little over 4 years, I put 176,000 on that vehicle. It liked to use brakes and tires, but that's not uncommon in this hilly part of the country. I never had an issue with the CVT. I did regular maintenance and fluids on the car and drove it sensibly. I'm retired now and went out hunting for another one. I found another '06 with just under 90Gs on it and snapped it up. I am shocked that these cars weren't the most popular family car in America back then. Maybe it's the "plain Jane" looks? Whatever. I hope to put another 100,000 on this one. Far superior to any mini-van out there.

Part of the family

by Rich from North East on Sat Aug 29 2015

Purchased new in 2006 and after nine years of faithful service all I can say is that it's the best car we have ever had. After 108,000 miles the only issue we had was a leaky A/C O ring hat was covered by the warrantee. I also upgraded the throttle body to the updated un-heated one. Acceptable 26 mpg hwy 18 around town. She is a bit slow off he line but very enjoyable to drive. I would recommend using ceramic brake pads on the rear. The standard stuff wears out too fast.

by kckruse from Garner, IA on Mon Mar 05 2012

We absolutely LOVE this vehicle! It is very comfortable, has a smooth ride and has a good giddy up! The only downfall of this vehicle is that the AWD id different then on other AWD vehicles we have had. We definitely would purchase a similar vehicle like this next time!

1 2 3 4 5