1999 Ford Taurus

Great car, love the huge wagon storage

by from on June 10, 2011

Great Car! We bought it used 7 years ago and we barely had any problems with it. We love the huge station wagon storage in the back. We can just open the hatch and throw the bikes in. Half of our house fits! Pretty good MPG. Probably around 25 intercity +/-. Overall we are very happy with it, too bad they don't make wagons like this these days.

fords best car since the model -t

by from reading penna. on January 30, 2012

taurus is a great car. there very reliable, and economacle for a midsize car. I have owned 3 so far. i dont know about the newer ones like from 2008 on up. but the older ones are great cars.

My first car

by from Colorado on August 6, 2013

This is a great car! I've had mine for 8 years now and besides an intermittent battery drain it is still running good! I'll hit 100k miles next time I go driving. While I did have another car while learning to drive, I was given this as a gift from my parents at the start of my last year of high school. I now work where I have to go on not well maintained dirt roads and so far the car is doing alright.

Great First Car

by from Green Bay, WI on December 9, 2015

This was my first car and I learned a lot about car ownership from it. Very reliable driving 50 miles a day to high school, decent gas milage. Did all the regular oil changes and tire rotations and never had a problem. Bought it with about 75,000 and sold it with about 150,000 miles and it's still going strong!

Great value for the money

by from Wash. DC on February 19, 2008

Just sold it to my daughter and son-in-law. Fun to drive. Had the 24valve V6 and plenty of power. Tuned exhaust sounds good. Ride was comfortable, but stiff enough to feel in control. This is the SE with adjustable driver seat and plenty more. Only problem was the A/C. Replaced parts of it twice. Ive changed oil at 5K and at 150,000miles it burns a quart between changes - started that only last year.

Excellent value for the money

by from Foley, AL on February 24, 2012

The Ford Taurus wagon a great poor-man's SUV. Very practical car and good driver. This is all I have to say. I hope this is long enough now.

Very Reliable Car

by from Wichita, KS on June 27, 2007

Purchased this car w/ 12,000. Didn't have to make any repairs other than routine maintenance until after 100,000 miles and those repairs have been minor. Engine and Trans. still working great.

I LOVE MY TAURUS WAGON!!!!

by from Fort Mill, Sc on September 10, 2007

I've had my Taurus Wagon For 3 Years Now, I Bought It Used With 115,000 Miles On It And It Is By Far The Best Car I Have Ever Owned.

Pretty solid find.

by from Orange County, CA on October 22, 2010

I bought a 1999 Ford Taurus LX at about 110000 miles 5 years ago at a used car lot. I bought this for school and used it for work after I graduated. I got it for pretty cheap. It still runs pretty well. I haven't had many problems with it since I've gotten it. I've had to replace the speed sensor (wouldn't shift gears properly because it couldn't sense the speed) but other than that nothing too major in terms of repairs. It's at 162k miles now and it can probably run for another 2-3 years. There's nothing special about this car, but if you want a car to hold you over for a couple of years for fairly cheap consider giving this car a look.

Ford Taurus wagon

by from on December 29, 2009

Would I recommend this car to a friend? Yes, if the price is good. Which it usually is. I've seen used Taurus sedans go for cheaper than used Honda Civics that were older, and these Taurus vehicles are well equipped. I don't like automatics, but sometimes it's nice to have one and this car is a champ for long highway cruises. It just kinda floats down the highway, chomping up the pavement like black Fruit-by-the-Foot. There is no doubt that the features and comfort you'll get from this used car will be pretty much unmatched for the price. I would rate the reliability somewhat low as it needs brake jobs somewhat more often than usual and it does not like cold weather at all. A bunch of little things have gone wrong with this car, but the price is excellent and you get so much. If you're willing to deal with a few trips to the repair shop, I'd say go for it if you're comparing a used '99 Taurus for $2,500 vs. a '95 Toyota Corolla without power windows and A/C for $2,500.

Our Expert Review: 1999 Ford Taurus