2003 Ford Thunderbird

4.5 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.3 out of 5 starsReliability

FUNderbird

by Car Lover from Southern Indiana on February 13, 2009

I owned a 57 Tbird until the Vietnam War took me away. I always told my wife that I would buy another 2 seater Tbird if Ford would make one again. After a long wait, Ford finally made it. I didn't buy one the first year because I thought it needed fins. After a year of turning in at every Ford lot with one on display, my wife finally said, "you can get any Tbird you want as long as it is red with red and black interior and bun warmers." I got on the internet and found it 100 miles from home. I've never been sorry I bought it. It is all the car the old 57 was, but it is more civilized. It drives and handles beautifully. We have driven it about 38,000 miles now. We liked it so well that we bought a Lincoln LS, which is the same basic car with a different body. (Same engine, drive train, suspension and dash layout) We have driven it on some trips of more than 2000 miles. It usually gets about 27-29 mpg on a long trip. I keep a log of all gas which has been put in it. The lowest gas mileage we ever got was 19 mpg, and it usually gets around 23 mpg. The trunk is a little cramped, but is adequate if you pack well and leave non-essentials at home. I have done all maintenance work on it myself. I have had two problems with it, both repaired under warranty. The transmission valve body was replaced when the car had about 20,000 miles on it. The left light socket on the light in the bumper was replaced at the same time. No other problems with it. I think Ford should have put Homelink on this car. My F150 Lariat even has it! It is comfortable to drive, but the Lincoln and the F150 are more comfortable. The ride is comfortable. I notice a little bit of cowl shake when the hardtop is removed, but it is not that objectionable. It is great with the top down, and there is very little wind. The heated seats are great for night top down cruising. It is very quiet for a convertible, top up or down. We drove it in a Christmas parade and as we passed, a rather bored looking woman suddenly came to life, pointed at our car, and yelled at her husband, "That's what I want for Christmas!!" It is a beautiful, unique car, and is fun to won and drive.