1988 Honda Accord

Reliable, gas efficient, and surprisingly fun

by from Colorado on July 8, 2006

I've driven this car daily for a few years. It has been absolutely bullet proof even though it had 150k miles when I purchased it. I have so much confidence in the vehicle I took it on many extended road trips without hesitation. It still gets 30mpg. I now own three accords. I recommend the 5 speed manual transmission over the automatic - blast to drive.

Best car for any and everything! Honda Accord 88'

by from Michigan/nebraska on May 27, 2017

Most important to me was the safety and visibility with very little blind spots. View for the driver was the best. There was tons of room to haul even long items and with all the back seats down again tons of room. Small car was great for camping . Had an optional tent attachment when the back hatch was open and the tire cover was a folding table! But this car saved my life more than once. Quick handling I jerked the wheel off the road to avoid a head on crush. Going at least 50 it stayed pretty steady . After travel to slow down on the road side, I turned the wheel quick thinking the worst would happen but my honda twirled in a circle than stopped. So lucky it didn't roll over. Again , stopped at a Stop light, I could see in my rear mirror a car coming up behind me not stopping. I put both feet on my brakes to avoid pushing me into traffic! A drunk going about 40mph or more hit me from behind. BAM I got a sore neck but her new car was now TOTALED, front end really smashed ! Amazing She was not hurt (very drunk .228). I Only got a broken plastic part of the bumper broken, no frame damage, just skidded a few feet. Close call. Loved my 88 Honda Accord. Final sold it , it was 0ver 25 years old, engine still ran like good. At its age of 23, it did develope an electrical short some where in the system that drained my battery if it sat for more than 2 days undriven, (I think it was because I left my window open and rain got in a few times down into the door damp weather affected the one electric window not opening sometimes but the car was 23-24 years old than, little rust, interior was still beautiful. Being a small woman, I felt I could see very good around me while driving and handle that car . Just didn't have the money to put into it to fix the electrical problem.. So at over 25 years driving it I sold it. I have a Honda CRV 2005 now . Visibility is much better in the older models than the new Honda with the curved back window side frames.