Model Details

1997 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews

Average based on 30 reviews

Very Reliable and Cheap to Fix

by from Fresno, CA on October 19, 2010

I own a 1997 Honda Accord Special Edition. I bought the car about 7 months ago with 148,000 miles on it for $2600 dollars and it has been well worth its money. I replaced the timing belt and water pump out of caution/paranoia(you usually want to if you dont know whether the person who owned it ever has) and the mechanic recommended I replace the valve cover and that has been it! The car is in amazing shape. It drives great. I've taken it on 7 road trips of 4 hours or longer and it has never had any issue at all. I commute very often for modeling work in LA and San Fransisco and I would be screwed if I'd bought the car I'd originally wanted: A VW Beetle. This car is a VERY smart buy as a used car for a first car owner and ALL of the parts are cheap to get. It looks great, drives quietly, handles well, and has tons of space for friends and for stuff! Only issue I have is my windows roll up and down realllllly slow, haha. Thats it though. BUY THIS CAR. I was terrified to purchase my first car but I'm sooo glad I went with a car that I needed and not a car that I just wanted. :)

Great first used car

by from Buffalo, NY on March 4, 2011

Bought this car for my college bound daughter who needed something inexpensive but reliable & comfortable. This car was all that. We got a very good deal & the previous owner took very good care of the car. Had low mileage for being 13 yrs old at the time of purchase.

great car

by from Cincinnati, OH on November 20, 2011

I purchased this car used in 2002, have had it now going on a decade. Never had any major repair issues with the vehicle. It's been on many 14 hour road trips without hesitation. Mileage now reads 270,000 and unfortunately the brake line started leaking. If the lines weren't so much to replace I would drive the wheels off the car! Most dependable car... I'm in the works of buying a 2007 or 2008 accord now but this car has been nothing short of amazing to me!!

Great car for the money. Efficient/Reliable

by from Chicago, Illinois on July 30, 2012

Great car. This is my third Accord same year same body style same model. Gets up to 30 mpg highway. Good ergonomics. Incredibly reliable. Basic fluid changes and brakes/tires. Comfortable to drive. I have a modified suspension on mine and it performs well. It's a very fast car but it does handle considerably well. I've gotten over 150k on my first one but I've seen these accords go 300k+ with proper maintenance. Sensible car for someone who doesn't want something high maintenance or expensive to maintain. Holds resale value considerably well. Many parts shared with earlier accord (90-93). Good first car or car for college student. New parts / used parts very easy to find.

Best Value for the money

by from Illinois on April 2, 2012

Extremely Reliable with excellent resale value. Unbreakable! Great MPG. Easy to repair yourself without the expense of a mechanic. 1994-1997 is the way to go!

Best car I have ever owned

by from Palm Desert, CA on November 15, 2010

If Honda keeps making them like the 1997 Accord I had they will always be the best vechicle around. I can't say enough about this wonderful automobile.

It has been an awesome car

by from Cincinnati, OH on October 22, 2012

I bought it used with 20k miles on it in 2001 when the 1989 Honda Accord I bought off my parents died. It is now 2012 and it has 208,700 some odd miles on it. And I have beat the tar out of it! It is held together with duct tape, window caulk, and the hand of God... and His grip is loosening. I have said that I would drive it until the wheels fell off, put some new wheels on it and drive it some more. Well, I've done that - I replaced the front wheel bearings earlier this year. It leaks everything but brake and power steering fluid, most notably transmission fluid. But the engine still starts right up and runs great. This poor car is literally on life support until I can buy a newer used car (can't afford a new one). It is using transmission fluid at a rate of a gallon per week. I am truly impressed with Honda quality. To have lasted 188k miles and 11 years, I think I got my money's worth and then some!

260,000+ miles and running great!

by from Ohio on September 6, 2009

I've owned my 1997 Honda Accord for nine years. It runs no differently than the day I started it on the lot at 61,000 miles. Other than Honda's recommended servicing at 100,00 miles, Ive only done tires, brakes, and oil changes to this car. Anybody considering a higher mileage Accord need not worry, these engines and drives are well designed. My Accord is a standard shift and as far as performance even at this mileage, it will still top over 120mph easily! The average miles per gallon overall has stayed right around 32.7 (I check it often)... So, I'm looking forward to taking a picture of the odometer at 300,000 also!

car

by from on December 4, 2012

I'm 18 and my dad gave me his old 97 accord special edition, leather interior, best car in the world.

Nice used car for the price

by from Philadelphia, PA on December 7, 2012

Relying on the reputation of Honda to drive this another 100K milesl. Will keep up with the maintenance and see if this happens.