The Accord sedan and coupe receive their most extensive changes since they were redesigned for 2008, including fresh styling touches, higher fuel economy for some models and a new SE sedan trim level. The Accord competes with the Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, Chevrolet Malibu and Ford Fusion.
New for 2011
Fuel economy on four-cylinder Accord sedans with the five-speed automatic transmission gets better because of improved aerodynamics, reduced engine friction and new transmission gear ratios. Honda says highway fuel economy on V-6 sedans will also increase.
The new SE sedan adds some features previously available only on the EX, including leather upholstery, heated front seats, power lumbar support for the driver and a leather-trimmed steering wheel. On all Accords, the climate control buttons have been moved closer to the driver, and models with the optional navigation system gain a backup camera.
Offered in sedan and coupe forms, the two Accord body styles share no body panels. For 2011, the sedan gets a new grille, front bumper, trunklid and wheel designs. The coupe is highlighted by a new grille, new front bumper and new taillights. Exterior features include:
- 16-inch steel wheels with wheel covers standard on sedan
- New 16- and 17-inch alloy wheels available on sedan
- New 17-inch alloy wheels standard on coupe
- New 18-inch alloy wheels available on coupe
The Accord's cabin treads closer to the domain of Honda's luxury brand, Acura, with its use of high-quality materials, good fit and finish, and an optional knob-based navigation system in place of the car's previous touch-screen setup. A USB audio interface is a new standard feature on coupes and EX sedans, and the EX-L coupe adds steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters. Interior features include:
- Seating for five
- Standard cloth seats
- Optional leather-wrapped steering wheel and leather seats
- Standard features include air conditioning, cruise control, a CD stereo with an auxiliary input jack, a tilt/telescoping steering wheel with audio buttons and lighted vanity mirrors
- Optional electronics include Bluetooth connectivity, XM Satellite Radio and a premium audio system with a subwoofer
Under the Hood
The front-wheel-drive Accord offers a choice of two 2.4-liter four-cylinder engines or a 3.5-liter V-6.
- Manual or automatic transmissions available
- Four-cylinder makes 177 horsepower in LX and SE sedans, 190 hp in LX-S coupe and EX sedans and coupes
- V-6 makes 271 hp, and when paired with the automatic transmission, it includes Honda's Variable Cylinder Management, a fuel-saving cylinder-deactivation system
- Performance-oriented V-6 coupe with the manual transmission doesn't get VCM
Safety features include:
- Side-impact airbags for the front seats
- Side curtain airbags
- Electronic stability system
- All-disc antilock brakes
- Active front head restraints