2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid
Average based on 5 reviews

Great buy used

by from Cincinnati, OH on October 25, 2010

Bought 2005 with about 50,000 miles for half of the original price new. This car gets very good gas mileage for a V6 with eco drive. I will say that you have to learn how to drive it, because it doesn't handle like my previous accords did. For example, when you come to a stop light, the gasoline engine shuts off and the car runs only on electric motor while idling - so people think that it "surges forward" when you're trying to stop. Once you learn how much pressure to put on the brakes, you'll be able to control it and love the increased gas mileage from not having the engine run when stopped. This feature does not work when the defrost is on though - not sure why. My guess is it has to do with needing the air compressor on during defrost. Secondly, the car is a V6 and you can get every bit of the horsepower out of it when you put your foot to the pedal. It's a very quick response on highway when needed. Very good control during acceleration. The power steering is actually controlled by the electric motor, so it's always extremely smooth. Way better than any other accord I've had (89, 96, 99). As long as you keep the tires properly inflated and use low rolling resistance tires, you can get 35-40mpg on the highway depending on the inclines. If your drive is relatively flat, you'll get on the higher end of that. I got 39.5mpg on the highway from Lexington to Cincinnati. If you don't accelerate wildly, then the Eco drive kicks in on your drive - this takes the cylinders down to 3 instead of 6 for cruising. That's where you'll get your improved mpg on the highway - and sometimes in the city. Any time you keep a constant speed, whether it's with cruise control or with your foot on the pedal, the Eco drive kicks in and gives you the improved mpg. But as soon as you need to give it the gas, the electric motor assists in providing more torque to the V6, which results in a very quick acceleration when needed. I love this car, but it took some driving it on different roads to figure out how to maximize mpg and other quirks. If you have a hilly drive every day, you're not going to use the Eco drive much, and you will be in the 25-30mpg range - because you're mostly using the V6. I wish all of this would have been explained to me when I bought it, but I am still very glad I got it. I recently went over 500 miles on a single tank, with a gallon and a half to spare when I filled it up. Love it.

05 Accord Hybrid

by from MD on June 30, 2010

Extraordinary car. 28-30 mpg MD-VA daily commute through DC. 6 cyl power when and if needed. 35 mpg pure hwy. No maint, comfortable for big person, Unlike Toyota-car keeps going if hybrid battery dies...
Extraordinary car. 28-30 mpg MD-VA daily commute through DC. 6 cyl power when and if needed. 35 mpg pure hwy. No maint, comfortable for big person, Unlike Toyota-car keeps going if hybrid battery dies,

Great car

by from Tampa on January 14, 2008

Hybrid model, 2005, runs quiet and smooth, actually gets EPA gas mileage, even more if you don't drive it too hard. EXCELLENT value for the price.

Solid Honda

by from Wichita, KS on February 13, 2007

After owning the Accord for over a year, I can attest that the car is classic Honda. Reliability and safety are excellent. Acceleration is rapid. The car is a blast to drive, and the IMA system works flawlessly. The only negative is that my 2000 Chevy Silverado had several features that my top-of-the-line Honda doesn't have, such as automatic headlights.

Love the car, value keeps going up

by from Rocklin, CA on July 30, 2008

I've had this car for a little over a year. I love it! The handling is incredible, the pick-up with the V-6 is a nice to have, and the look of the car is amazing! The bottom of the seats are a little small. Although the mileage isn't the best for a hybrid. I average around 28mpg. I do drive a bit aggressive and think I could get over 30 if I toned it down. The value of this car is the best feature. Because of gas prices I can probably sell it for what I bought it for.