NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2012 Civic

2012 Honda Civic

2012 Honda Civic

4.5

Have You Driven the 2012 Honda Civic?

Found our 10 year car.

by lovemy2012Civic from Halifax, Nova Scotia on Thu Jun 07 2012

In May of 2012 my wife and I were looking to retire our '99 Mazda Protege and pick up a new vehicle. I did months of research and narrowed down the options to Civic, Elantra and Corolla. My priority was to get a car that I would be happy with for the next 10 years. I have never been a fan of Civics and I only tested this car at my wifes request. Of the three the Civic was unquestionably the quietest and smoothest drive. It moved to the top of the list early. We rejected the Elantra right away as the drive was choppy and the breaks touchy and after 20 mins in the drivers seat my back was really sore and the radio didn't seem to work??? When it came down to the Corolla and the Civic it was the Civic's better styling, handling, quite engine, fuel economy, interior space and overall initial quality that led us to pick the Civic. Now, it's 3 weeks after we made the big purchase and my wife and I fight over whose turn it is to drive the car...LOL. We love how quiet it is, it is absolutely silent when idling. The digital display is fun and very intuitive. We havn't taken any long road trips but so far we find it very comfortable. Living in Eastern Canada where we dump salt on the roads by the truckload I chose to go with the undercoating and paint protection. The undercoating was an expensive add on but with a 10 year guarantee it was reasonable. The paint protection has a 3 year guarantee and is basically a permenant wax. After 3 weeks the water still beads up as it should. We'll see what happens after one of our long winters. I'm only getting 8.6L/100Km or 26 MPG however I'm still only on my first tank of gas and less than 500Km. It has been coming down gradually. The first week we were getting 9.1L/100Km. I understand that it can take a while for the engine to run at peak efficiency. At this point I would have no problem recommending this car to anyone. It was the best option out there for us and we havn't been dissappointed.

The Civic That Is Best For Me

by GoodGood Cars from Los Angelas, LA on Wed Jun 20 2012

I have the Civic Coupe and i like the coupe better than the sedan and the EX-L has the best leather and its so soft but one thing i dislike about it is that i had to change the oil filter and oil like 3 times already and i owned it for almost a 2 1/2 months and i checked if it had an oil leak but it didn't but my 2011 Honda CR-V is the same make and i only changed it once and ive owned it for 6 months.But overall the Civic is the best good job Honda.

great services

by john from jersey city, nj on Wed Oct 24 2012

great services and great car tto take family for rides to get arount the city to beach parks games movies hotel

Most Enjoyable/Fun Economy Car EVER

by engfish from San Antonio, TX on Fri Jul 20 2012

I bought the LX despite CR's nasty review of it because of a pleasant dealer experience (I hated the American car dealerships' experiences) and I have no regrets. My priority was luxury with MPG. I like small cars so I knew I would sacrifice a little comfort for that, but driving my Civic is a delight. It's wonderfully comfortable--easily the best and most fun small car I've owned EVER (two Saturn SL2s, Ford Focus sedan, '86 Honda Accord LX over thirty years)--and I'm 56 years old, so I've been around the block. I have always driven with the Civic's ECON button down and never needed that "extra" power to drive for anything. I go at least 440 miles on a tankful with just under two gallons to spare--averaging 33 mpg, city driving (lots of stop signs, hills, traffic lights). Took a road trip and got 37mpg driving 70 with A/C. I love the sun roof (opening it cools the car so quickly!), the Bluetooth convenience for my cell, and the sleek design of the car. Is the car perfect? No, so here're my peeves, minor as they are. I've waxed the car three times in six months; the wax is either cheap or the finish won't let it stick (black metallic). The fit around the windshield and the body isn't great; I get leaves wedged between the glass and the body all the time (simple rubber/silicone seal would fix that; might add soundproofing too). The key is HUGE. And I may have a faulty sound system: every once in a while, the volume just dips intermittently, for radio or CD (playing mp3s). I cannot get a jump drive of music to play. The console uses British symbols for time (3:30 song shows as 3'30"); you'd think a standard mode would be available, since MPH and KMPH is a push-button option. These are SO MINOR compared to what a great car my Honda is. I will love it for decades.

Best In Class

by DaGoomba from Elk Grove, CA on Mon Jul 04 2011

I have had my 2012 Civic EX-L W/Navigation for about a week now. I have never owned a Honda before and for my 65th birthday I decided to get me a new Civic. My criteria for a new car was fuel economy, performance and resale value. The cars I considered were Elantra, Focus, Cruze and Civic. I read volumes of reviews and came to the conclusion that the so called expert reviewers felt the 2012 Civic did not make much of a change to the previous years and therefore they felt that Honda had taken a step back to the other models I was considering since they had surpassed the Civic in styling. Since styling was not one of my criteria points those reviews did not stray me away from considering a Civic. In fact since I never have owned a Honda I thought the styling was perfect for best fuel economy. Without going into all of the reasons I decided to buy the Civic (Elantra comes without a spare tire) I will give you my impressions of the first week of owning one. The Civic is very roomy and comfortable. I do wish the glove box and center console were a little bigger, but I can live with the size they are. The I-Mid and navigation screen give you more data than you could imagine. Some reviewers call it cheesy. I think it's pretty cool and very informative. Civics come with an "ECON" button that optimizes your fuel economy. When your ECON button is activated your performance takes a hit and acceleration is not as good as it would be with the ECON button not in use. Some reviewers say they can't see any difference between having the ECON button on or off. Well, I'm here to tell you there is a difference and it's noticeable. But, if you are trying to get the best possible fuel economy that you can then using the ECON button will save you fuel. On my first tank of gas I used the ECON as much as possible in city and highway and got a combined 34.3 mpg. In that first tank I drove from Sacramento to Reno and got 37.5 mpg ( lot of driving uphill and ECON was off while climbing those hills) Coming home from Reno I got 45.5 mpg ( lot of going downhill and had ECON on) So far I am very pleased with fuel economy. The Civic handles well in the turns and with the ECON off it has plenty of pep as far as I'm cornered. The air conditioning works great and cools off the cabin nicely. Those in the back seat were very comfortable in 97 degree weather. I do see me tinting the back windows though. The Bluetooth was easy to sync up with my Droid and call quality is very good. I'm impressed with the sound system and love being able to use a USB drive. I still have much to learn about this car but so far it is everything I was hoping it would be. I got the EX-L W/Navi for $22,500. I added some other accessories and of course tax, license and doc fees. I also got an 8 year 100,000 extended warranty for $1,200. If you decide to get yourself a 2012 Civic you will not be disappointed. You may not have the sexiest looking car on the road but you will have a solid car that you can depend on now and in the future.

2012 civic got a bum rap

by better than my old civic from Long Island, NY on Thu Oct 20 2011

Owned a 2010 civic and wanted more room in back, quieter ride and better gas mileage. With the 2012, I got all three. Many professional reviewers panned it, even consumer reports took it off their recommended list. Why? here were their major reasons ... the dashboard is now hard plastic, not soft and the ride was not as "sporty". Also, the stopping distance on wet pavement was longer than last year. That I agree is a downside. Problem is, the three improvements I mentioned should have balanced out the rating to keep it the same, but they knocked off 16 points! I have a hard time understanding that and I believe CR would have a hard time reconciling that. Who's to say that hard plastic is any cheaper than soft. I like the hard better, it wont crack in a few years. They even complained that there was only one knob on the audio controls! What?? I agree that it doesn't feel as sporty, but to me, sporty is uncomfortable. They mean you can feel the road more with sporty. Sorry but my old butt doesn't want to feel the road. It is quieter and the back seat is 3 inches wider. It's downright roomy for a small car. Anyway, it gets 39 MPG on highway ... I have actually gotten 42. I average 37 in mixed (75% highway, 25% city). That is great and it's not a hybrid! CR compared it with the Ford focus and the Hyundai elantra. I test drove both before buying. I'll admit, the Ford was real nice! Smoother and quieter, but more expensive and not nearly as reliable after 4 years as the civic. and the hyundai? Now that felt cheap. Yes, it's stylish and gets good ratings and has alot of features for the money, but the civic is a proven entity and the style, while not as sexy as the hyundai or the Ford, will probably age better than either. My neighbor said it looked like a mercedes from the back. So, if you like the Honda Civic of old, you will like the 2012, unless you can't figure out how to work the audio with only one knob! LOL

Love My New 2012 Honda Civic

by Retired Educator from Spartanburg, SC on Mon May 16 2011

My wife and I went to the local dealer the day the new Civics went on display. However, they did not have the LX model we wanted. The next day, we visited a nearby dealer and they had exactly what we wanted. We traded our 2009 Honda and drove the new one home. The car now has 1,400 miles on it and we went to Myrtle Beach last week and using the Econ mode, we averaged 44.35 mpg!!! We are thrilled with the comfort, design, features, and the excellent gas mileage [we average 35 mpg around town driving]. They are now in short supply and we feel blessed that we were able to buy one and are 100 percent satisified with it---especially with the high gas prices.

Excellent car

by Honda Fan from Milwaukee WI on Sun Jun 05 2011

The best car I have ever owned. The car is very reliable and efficient. Steering and handling are great. Do not be fooled by other car makers who provide more features or horse power. If you are going to buy a car and keep it what matters for you is reliability and resale value. The interior is really nice and roomy enough for me. The exterior is not too loud in style and design. The engine is responsive. I like Honda's new Imed system. It feels like you are driving a computer. Definately much better then my previous Nissan, ford and chevy. My previous nissan had all the nice features but lacked reliability. Chevy was the worst so far. Ford are now okay but they don't last as long.

Great Investment!

by 2nd generation Honda driver from Racine, WI on Tue May 22 2012

I've had the new Civic for about 3 months now. I do about 75% in the city and 25% on the highway and I average over 30 miles per gallon overall! Very good for a car that's not a hybrid! Furthermore, it's very comfortable while driving and I love the digital dashboard and USB connection so I can play music off of my iphone! But I think my favorite thing about this car is how it handles. The steering on this car is smooth and unbelievable, and with the car being a Honda, you won't have to worry about any mechanical issues for a long time. The engine is quiet and it's a great ride! Would recommend it to anyone!

Back to Honda and it's Like Home

by Mary Ann and Bill from Jacksonville, Florida/Hector, New York on Sun Jun 19 2011

I bought my wife a 2012 Honda Civic EX sedan when she "had it" with the first non-Honda product she owned and traded in for the Civic nearly six weeks ago. I paid a tad more than the competition, but the '12 Civic offers more car, a greater value, roomier usable space, better gas mileage and more pizzaz than the car we traded after only a year. Leaving Honda for another brand was anxiety provoking since we learned that saving money at the time of purchase does not always signify value. The EX model has all of the bells and whistles we have come to expect from Honda, with even more essential features added to the already long list of standard features on the previous Honda Civics she has owned. The EX line has such nicities as a tilt and slide sunroof with "one touch" technology, chrome wheels (a dealer upgrade), luxerious sport seats, homelike stereo system and more. Fuel mileage is impressive. She has achieved 45 miles per gallon on a recent trip. We generally record 35-42 MPG with mixed driving. The car is great on long trips with plenty of room up front and in back. The cloth seats are gorgeous and provide the best support of other makes we looked at, despite knowing that the '12 Civic EX was our #1 choice. The cloth buckets and rear split seats have a cool but perfectly subtle pattern that is quite youthful while still looking very elegant. The exterior is just the right blend of sportiness and upscale. We get compliments everywhere we go. We have no complaints whatsoever. The Civic is the camp. I drive a 2008 Accord EX-L NAVI and in a year or two, I look forward to buying another Accord to AWD Crosstour. The entertainment systen, easy to use Bluetooth, radio controls and climate The 2012 Civic has a very quiet ride. It is comfortable at all speeds and terrains and handles like a sports car at a fraction of the price of far more expensive cars.

Our Take on the 2012 Honda Civic

Sport-compact enthusiasts, I have some bad news: Make a sign, bang some drums, occupy the local auto mall.

The 2012 Honda Civic Si has gone soft.

The Honda Civic's performance version has been around since 1985, and the nameplate's ninth-generation redesign gets the largest Civic engine ever. While it scoots with newfound power and gets better gas mileage, the high-rev pizzazz and handling poise that gave the Si such unique appeal — even as its competitors got faster — are gone. The ninth-generation Honda Civic chose comfort over dynamics, and too much of that rubbed off on the Si.

This review details the Civic Si, which comes as a coupe or sedan with a six-speed... Read More