2003 Civic Hybrid

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid

4.2

Have You Driven the 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid?

Great MPGs, but...

by Hybrid Driver from Monterey, CA on Mon Oct 14 2013

I have owned my 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid for three years now and have a love-hate relationship with the car. Though I would love to give it 5 stars, the reliability of the car prevents me from doing so. Over the past three years, I have had to replace the transmission, the battery pack, and the O2 sensor- all supposedly common items to replace with this year, make, and model. Repair issues aside, I love the way the car looks, drives, and feels, and like how comfortable and upscale it feels inside. It rides well both fully loaded and empty and I consistently get mpg numbers in the upper 40s. Overall, though I would love to recommend this car, I simply cannot due to its subpar reliability as an early Hybrid model.

Does not recommend this car!!

200,000 miles and still going strong

by 2003_HCH_Owner from Salinas, CA on Fri Feb 27 2015

I am the second owner of a 2003 metallic blue Honda Civic Hybrid with 223,000 miles and cannot say enough good about this car. The Good: -Excellent gas mileage -Very reliable -Styling still looks relevant -Good stock sound system -Supportive/comfortable seats -Ergonomic interior -Alloy rims come stock -Integrated Start-Stop technology is cool The Bad: -IMA Battery (the car's hybrid battery) went out and needed to be replaced at 155,000 miles -Unexciting acceleration -Small trunk space -No iPod or AUX plug-in with stock stereo -No back seat A/C or Heating controls Overall: Excellent choice for someone looking for a reliable car that gets excellent gas mileage.

Good, But Get a Later Model

by Hybrid Fan from Texas on Sun Sep 02 2012

2003 was the 1st year for the Civic Hybrid. It gets great MPG and has all the amenities. Handles great. There is a shudder in the transmission as it takes off from a stop that would probably make most people have the clutch replaced, or the transmission overhauled or replaced. It has never gotten worse in thousands of miles of use, so I have just lived with it. I'd recommend a 2004, or later model, as Honda seems to have gotten better at building CVT's for it's Civic Hybrids.

A hybrid for the rest of us

by Secret Environmentalist from Atlanta, Georgia on Tue Jan 09 2007

The Honda Ciivic is a great car if you want to save on gas, but don't want to stand out from the crowd. It drives and handles just like a normal small car, but gets better than average gas mileage. Of course, the mileage you get will depend on how you drive. Jackrabbit starts and constant braking will give you worse mileage than smoother driving habits in any car. That said, by following the worst driving habits of those around me, my WORST mileage was 29 mpg. My BEST mileage was almost 50 mpg. I did a trip from Atlanta, Georgia to Savannah, Georgia on a half tank of gas. I could have turned around and driven back without filling up. In average city driving, I only visited the gas station every three weeks. Compare that to what you're driving now. The car handled like a dream. I could fit into parking spots I never considered before. Maneuverability was excellent. Reliability was excellent! As with any Honda, all I ever did was basic maintenance. The only downside was storage. The batteries took up quite a bit of the trunk space. It was enough for most trips - including the one to Savannah - but I eventually outgrew it. I highly recommend this vehicle!

A great, economical, reliable car

by PhillyFan from Narberth, PA on Fri Oct 31 2008

My Civic Hybrid 5-speed has gone 83,000 happy miles now, including long road trips and lots of city and suburban driving, in all conditions. With the 5-speed transmission it's fun to drive, and really quiet. To merge onto the highway, just leave it in 5th gear and put the gas pedal to the floor. The electric assist zips you into traffic quietly and efficiently. It's been incredibly reliable, with only one breakdown (the 12-volt battery failed last year). I've saved lots on needing less maintenance - still with the original brake pads and rotors (thanks to regenerative braking). The hybrid battery is still going strong, too. Average combined mileage: 45 MPG, City: 43, Highway:49. Very comfortable, except for 3 passengers in back. Trunk space is adequate for 4 people's luggage. The sound system is great, as is the climate control. The stock Bridgestone B381 tires lasted 70,000 miles, but performed poorly in rain and especially snow. I replaced them with Michelins. I expect this car to be part of my family for a long time.

Great Car 55 mpg easy

by ch103 from Philadelphia, PA on Tue Apr 07 2009

For anyone wishing to purchase a hybrid car but does not wish to pay for a brand new hybrid, there is no better option than the 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. I have owned mine since Jan-07. The car gets its best gas mileage in May-Sep, getting 55 mpg easy. Between Oct-Apr it is between 45-50. I have gotten 644 miles on one tank before, no lies. Nothing is more important than how you drive, rabbit vs turtle, and the difference is amazing. The 2003 - 2005 were the 1st generation of Civic Hybrids and have the now "old school" Civic body styles still noticeable in their design. If you are looking for something fast that gets up and goes, this is not the car for you. If you want a car that only gets fuel twice a month, then this is the car for you.

Honda Civic Hybrid

by Civic Hybrid from Akron, Ohio on Mon Nov 26 2012

This car is great! The best part is the fuel economy. It handles very well on the road. I would highly recommend this car.

Geek Mobile . . . We all should be so fortunate.

by G from Boulder, CO on Tue Dec 26 2006

HCH is the best car I have ever owned (but then I've only owned a '64 Pontiac Grand Prix, '70 Dodge Charger, '78 Ford Fairmont, '84 Ford Tempo and a Red '88 Honda Accord DX hatch). Hybrid is a hoot. As long as the electronics hold-up this car will be a joy to drive. It handles most normal, and some extreme circumstances like a champ. It is a champ.

@60mph I get 63mpg on the highway!

by Sambo from Rochester, NY on Sat May 31 2008

Quiet, uabtrusive, comfortable enough, and very very reliable the only regret I have was not buying the automatic trans which I understand get's better city milage (I get 33-35mpg in the city). Hummer's pass me on the highway, and then pass me again and again because they had to stop for gas and I didn't, plus the difference between 70 and 60mph for an 8 hour trip is only about an hour or so. It's about 10mpg in my Civic Hybrid.

waste of my money

by Economics Professor from Alpine, UT on Wed Sep 02 2009

people who claim they get 55 mpg must not live in the mtns...on hills the battery drains and your left with the wimpy 1.3 liter engine. I live in Utah and I average about 38 mpg in my 03 hybrid; which is about the same as my brother in law who owns an 01 civic ex! Besides the mileage problem and the fact that I'm totally upside down in it, I guess you could say it's been a fairly good car. After 130,000 miles I haven't had to do anything but maintenance. Bottom line, I would never buy another civic hybrid again. For the money, I could get a civic ex or even an SI with more horsepower and about the same fuel consumption. My neighbor has a jetta tdi, now there's a winner; he climbs the mountain every day on his commute and still gets 45 mpg!

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2