2009 Civic Hybrid

4.3 out of 5 starsExterior Styling
4.3 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.2 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Three year old hybrid - pretty reliable

by Hybrid Extremist from Centerport, NY on June 7, 2009

I am very pleased with the performance of my hybrid. I have had two mechanical problems with my hybrid; one, the power windows which was fixed while under warranty and two, the wiper motor just went bad. I had to pay $200.00 to fix that. I now have 60,000 miles on my hybrid and hope to keep going another 140,000 or seven years. Hybrid is good in snow and hasn't needed much maintenance. I routinely have the oil changed. The auto-stop does not function in the rain or when the defroster is on. Honda service not reliable, I now use a local repair shop for minor maintenance.

Life of IMA battery

by Tom Deen from Sri Lanka on July 8, 2015

I have been using this car since August 2011, has done only 55,000 km. At the mileage of 45,000 km IMA light started appearing and continues. Battery gets fully charged within a few km and at times it goes off but soon at appears, indicating the charge holding capacity of the big battery is gone. I am interested to know whether this car could be run with only 1.3 l engine with the IMA battery removed from the car. Will any one help me with this question?

Great car for the price

by Happy Honda Owner from Nampa, ID on July 13, 2009

We have owned the 09 Civic Hybrid since 10/08. Great car, we did ALOT of price and driving comparisons before buying. Definitely believe this was the best car for the price.

Very reliable car

by elportoed from Hermosa Beach, CA on April 3, 2018

I own this car for almost 9 years now since it was new. It's been a daily driver. It's very reliable, never have any mechanical issues. But I always keep up with the maintenance. I got very good mileage from this car, for it being a hybrid. It is comfortable and roomy inside carrying 4 adults without issues.

Very reliable and good value for the price

by jdphoenix from Palm Springs on July 7, 2017

I really like this car. No mechanical issues at all. it is an easy car to drive. perfect size.

Great Car for the Value

by HappyStudent from Catskills of NY on June 1, 2009

I recently got this car last week. I have to say it's an amazing car for the value. It's a great car for traveling the distance to college and commuting to summer classes. I love not having to stop by the gas station so often. The headrests are slightly uncomfortable, and the trunk isn't the largest, but that's insignificant in the overall package. This little car zips right along whether it's the highway or the winding country road. If you're even slightly interested in a hybrid, I would definitely recommend this one. I looked into the insight, prius and the civic hybrid and I have to say I couldn't be happier with my decision. Good Luck with the Car Search.

A real gas saver

by hymile from Los Angeles,CA on August 18, 2010

We've had it for a year and have never had a problem!! Great on gas, Looks great. We have averaged 44+mpg on the freeway>

Fantastic Mileage - a great car for a roadtrip

by Engineer at Heart from Kansas City, MO on October 12, 2010

I purchased the Honda without comparing it to the Prius. I just couldn't announce to the world that I was kooky and offbeat and somewhat nutty. I want the engineering toys without the circus. The Honda takes some training - and if you aren't willing to learn how to use it, don't try. You have to have a lead foot then back off as light as a feather. Once I learned to gun it (!), get momentum and then shut down the engine, I quickly moved my average gas mileage to 44.6mpg. Don't baby this car and it will give you quick starts, fast acceleration and fantastic mileage. When my spouse tickles the gas pedal, I have to explain the process - I know it is counter-intuitive. But it is a great system. The best part was getting it for $4,000 under list. The worst part was not getting anything thrown in. No free oil changes. No car washes. Well, I did get a key-chain. Love the car. Love the comfort. I've driven from KC to New Orleans in a single day on three trips - and was as comfortable as could be for the 14 hours on the road. Plus, it was really, really nice being able to make the trip with only one fillup on the road. I made the trip in a Vibe last year and had to stop every 300 miles. I don't like the matchup of the Cruise Control with the CVT transmission. Like with all automatics on cruise, it guns the engine unnecessarily. Other than, that, it's a homerun.

I would not buy another one!

by Sath from Bakersville, NC on January 28, 2013

Car was great. Bought with 40,000 mile and put another 30,000 on it before battery went out. We bought an extended warrenty that covered it, but the re-programing put the miliage at 31mpg in the city and 35/37 on the road. Way down from the 39/40 city and 41/45 on the road. Dealer said they had to re-program to extend the battery life. WTF. DO NOTBUY. BATTERY LIFE ZERO. ONLY GOOD FOR 100,000 mile, or less. We had 72,000.

Does not recommend this car!!

98K and still going

by Mr Mark from Kansas City, MO. on April 29, 2015

I bought this 2009 in 2010 and have driven 2 sets of tires off of it. at first I was skeptical about the mileage but I would easily get 40-41 MPG all day long, I did have issues with the battery and it has had 3 in it all provided under warranty. when it hit the oil change at 98K I had the transmission serviced, at that time they installed an upgrade to the firmware and WOW what an upgrade, I replaced the air filter and took it on a 3 hour tour and I clocked 42MPG. So I brought it home and put new brakes on the front. This is critical as these are the first pads and rotors I ever put on the car.. Not bad 100K from Brake pads. I never really had issues at all with it. regular service, When I first got it for some reason the DVD for the nav got damaged by the head unit and they said it ws the head unit so it was replaced at about 25K and thank goodness for that as that beast is a $5000 item. I just received a letter from Honda stating that due to issues customers have had they extended the IMA system warranty to 150K. I bet I will be selling it by then but nice to know they will cover issues. I will add I have an awesome Dealer that services it here in Kansas CIty.

1 2 3