Our Expert Review: 2012 Honda Civichybrid

My second HCH....BETTER than the first!!

by from San Antonio, TX on April 7, 2012

I owned a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid, bought it 2 years old with 28,000 miles on it. My gas mileage would stay around 39-43 mpgs per tank. (I always calculate the mpg's when I fill up.) In december of 2011 we decided to trade up to the new 2012 HCH, and the average mpgs with the redesign went from 40/45 to 44 combined. But with this new 2012 I'm getting more like 48-52 mpgs!! I'm all about the MPGS and saving money at the pump when gas prices go up. The fuel tank on this 2012 is about 2 gallons bigger than the one from my 2008 model, but being able to go over 500 miles per tank is amazing!! I will never EVER go back to a regular gas vehicle, and my next purchase will hopefully be a Honda EV, when they come out!! Love everything inside and out about this car!!!

Civic Hybrid Awesome

by from Edison, NJ on September 8, 2012

I just purchased at a fantastic price. Deal hard. Hybrids are not selling as well because old reviews were bad. So I did not pay the hybrid premium that I would have to make up with gas savings. I do 70% city and 30% highway and getting between 45 and 47 mpg so far. This Civic is made in Japan and sells very well there. Hence the Japanese near 6 dollar a gallon gas. I am sure that in my state the gas cost will be in the 4.50 to 5.00 range soon which will make this purchase so much more justified. The "S" sport feature no one talks about. It bits into the mpg a bit but its great to have the option. The car transforms with it aggressive low end torque into a SI at speeds from 0 to 45 mph with great handling and cornering, which beats the Prius hands down. Its also great if you need to drive out of a bad traffic situation quickly. It shuts of the automatic engine off feature. The Eco help displays are great. After awhile you learn to do everything automatically. Phone Bluetooth is great and a fantastically comfortable cabin. Noise levels at highway speeds are a little loud especially on concrete roads. Black top much improved. Medium level radio helps a lot to even notice. Hay it’s not a Lexus. I tested the Lexus 30 thousand hybrid 4-door hatchback and the room inside is terrible. So the Civic Hybrid has great mileage, great sport mode handling, and great comfort.

Don't Be Fooled...

by from Silicon Valley, CA on May 12, 2012

Don't let unbalanced reviews limit your choices. The prior generation had some issues, but the 2012 HCH is the best buy in the compact hybrid market This car drives well, has an unmatched NHTSA safety rating and is a significantly better value at all trim levels than others in the category. With 39-42 mpg in the city and 50-52 highway and solid road feel, the HCH with leather is the best $21K I've spent in a very long time.

Be smart and buy a Honda Hybrid their the best

by from Raleigh,NC on June 29, 2011

I bought a 2004 Civic Hybrid used in 2008 the first time it hit $4.00/gallon. I drove it 80 miles everyday. It really did me well. All I had to do to it was gas, brakes, tires, and oil changes. It was getting very high with the mileage and it has seen better days so I had the opportunity to trade for a new one which I did. I do love the little more gas mileage it gets. I get 45mpg going to work and 50mpg going home. Its more up hill driving going to work. Honda's are still the best vehicles made.

Love it!

by from Oakland, CA on November 18, 2012

I've only had it for a little over a month but so far I love it. It's really cute and gets great gas mileage. It doesn't have a ton of power when accelerating from a complete stop, but it's a hybrid and I got it for gas mileage, not power. It's extremely reliable and I've had no issues or troubles with it yet. (Knock on wood.) It's a good looking, comfortable car that gets great gas mileage. All of the things I was looking for when purchasing a car. I'm super happy I went with this one.

ave 48mpg

by from buffalo ny on June 6, 2012

great mpg,seats is comfortable,slow at start but enough power to p/u.felt a little light on a windy day on hwy but track pretty good. all in all a great car.

My Umpteenth Honda

by from Southern CA on December 17, 2012

Hondas (and Acuras) are the most reliable car around. Maintenance is minimal, and longevity is maximal! You simply can't go wrong with a Honda.

Excellent Hybrid

by from Chicago area on July 15, 2011

Does what any real hybrid should do, great gas mileage and a comfortable ride with decent handling. It exceeded my overall expectations.

Very reliable

by from Dalls, TX on January 26, 2015

This Honda Civic sedan hybrid is the idea car for driving around town. It's great car for students. The MPG has been 42-44 after 1 1/2 months. Shop around using cars.com for the best comparisons on models and pricing. Happy car hunting... All the best

Much better than my previous Civic Hybrid

by from San Diego, Ca on September 24, 2011

It drives more like a non-hybrid car! I would recommend it to anyone who wants to save on their gas bbill.