2012 Civic Hybrid

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid

4.2

Have You Driven the 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid?

My second HCH....BETTER than the first!!

by Civic owner twice around from San Antonio, TX on Sat Apr 07 2012

I owned a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid, bought it 2 years old with 28,000 miles on it. My gas mileage would stay around 39-43 mpgs per tank. (I always calculate the mpg's when I fill up.) In december of 2011 we decided to trade up to the new 2012 HCH, and the average mpgs with the redesign went from 40/45 to 44 combined. But with this new 2012 I'm getting more like 48-52 mpgs!! I'm all about the MPGS and saving money at the pump when gas prices go up. The fuel tank on this 2012 is about 2 gallons bigger than the one from my 2008 model, but being able to go over 500 miles per tank is amazing!! I will never EVER go back to a regular gas vehicle, and my next purchase will hopefully be a Honda EV, when they come out!! Love everything inside and out about this car!!!

Don't Be Fooled...

by Grant from Silicon Valley, CA on Sat May 12 2012

Don't let unbalanced reviews limit your choices. The prior generation had some issues, but the 2012 HCH is the best buy in the compact hybrid market This car drives well, has an unmatched NHTSA safety rating and is a significantly better value at all trim levels than others in the category. With 39-42 mpg in the city and 50-52 highway and solid road feel, the HCH with leather is the best $21K I've spent in a very long time.

Civic Hybrid Awesome

by hybridman from Edison, NJ on Sat Sep 08 2012

I just purchased at a fantastic price. Deal hard. Hybrids are not selling as well because old reviews were bad. So I did not pay the hybrid premium that I would have to make up with gas savings. I do 70% city and 30% highway and getting between 45 and 47 mpg so far. This Civic is made in Japan and sells very well there. Hence the Japanese near 6 dollar a gallon gas. I am sure that in my state the gas cost will be in the 4.50 to 5.00 range soon which will make this purchase so much more justified. The "S" sport feature no one talks about. It bits into the mpg a bit but its great to have the option. The car transforms with it aggressive low end torque into a SI at speeds from 0 to 45 mph with great handling and cornering, which beats the Prius hands down. Its also great if you need to drive out of a bad traffic situation quickly. It shuts of the automatic engine off feature. The Eco help displays are great. After awhile you learn to do everything automatically. Phone Bluetooth is great and a fantastically comfortable cabin. Noise levels at highway speeds are a little loud especially on concrete roads. Black top much improved. Medium level radio helps a lot to even notice. Hay it?s not a Lexus. I tested the Lexus 30 thousand hybrid 4-door hatchback and the room inside is terrible. So the Civic Hybrid has great mileage, great sport mode handling, and great comfort.

Be smart and buy a Honda Hybrid their the best

by water from Raleigh,NC on Wed Jun 29 2011

I bought a 2004 Civic Hybrid used in 2008 the first time it hit $4.00/gallon. I drove it 80 miles everyday. It really did me well. All I had to do to it was gas, brakes, tires, and oil changes. It was getting very high with the mileage and it has seen better days so I had the opportunity to trade for a new one which I did. I do love the little more gas mileage it gets. I get 45mpg going to work and 50mpg going home. Its more up hill driving going to work. Honda's are still the best vehicles made.

electrical problem

by JC from peoria, IL on Thu Apr 19 2018

I have owned this car for 2 years as second owner. it was initially very nice with small inconsistency on stop and start. After moving to IL from NC, where has colder weather, the problem starts to show up. First one was booster control module, and then ABS control module right after fixing first one in a month in winter. I have to spend $2000 not even through dealership. The car still in the personal mechanic, I can not afford to keep the car anymore.

Does not recommend this car!!

Love it!

by Ms.Jared from Oakland, CA on Sun Nov 18 2012

I've only had it for a little over a month but so far I love it. It's really cute and gets great gas mileage. It doesn't have a ton of power when accelerating from a complete stop, but it's a hybrid and I got it for gas mileage, not power. It's extremely reliable and I've had no issues or troubles with it yet. (Knock on wood.) It's a good looking, comfortable car that gets great gas mileage. All of the things I was looking for when purchasing a car. I'm super happy I went with this one.

Great Reliable Car, great on gas, and very sporty

by NicoleCapo from Canton, GA on Sat Apr 22 2017

This car is a great running, great on gas, good looking dependable and overall great car for the money

If vanilla were a car....

by Jerry Jackson from Knoxville TN on Tue Jul 03 2018

From purchase in 2016 I have put 45,000 miles on the car. When i purchased the vehicle, price was a strong selling point as well as the advertised MPG. So far I have replaced the AC condenser and compressor (consumer reports lists this as common in the 60k range) and replaced tires, transmission fluid and oil. If you follow the maintenance schedule, I am sure the car will be fine until the hybrid batteries fail. On to the fun stuff. This car is painfully slow. Like, don't pull out in front of anyone ever slow. I thought this would be a perk that would force me to get good fuel economy. I was so wrong - this is a feature that has regularly made me think I was going to die. Sometimes, you pin the throttle and the car falls flat on its smiling blue face. Oddly enough, I haven't been rear-ended in it yet, or met my end getting broadsided. What I am getting at here, is no car should fall flat on it's face when you hit the gas like this one does. Sometimes I consider it a bit unpredictable. On to fuel economy - 44MPG city is a joke... look at it more like 34 on the regular combined mileage if you do any city at all. I drive 60+ miles a day, mainly highway - and average 37mpg with econ on. Yes - you can get higher than that by driving 55mph and really babying it, but sometimes you just have to get to work and it isn't realistic for all people. Comfort - I mean, at 6 '1 and 300+lbs. I am more of the problem than the car most of the time. This car fits me fine and is exceptionally comfortable, although the drivers seat is breaking down on the bolsters and the left hand side from entering and exit. This is common in an economy car and is expected. The rear passenger compartment is fine for my kids - 8 year old is a bit leg cramped these days, and don't expect to ever get 5 people in this thing comfortably. It is a Civic people - if you need to fit 5 they better be close friends. Road Noise - This is a problem. It isn't a quiet drive. Ride Height - I drove lowered vehicles all my life. This car seems to drag coke bottles down the highway. I have never had a stock vehicle drag as much as this one does. I am used to hitting things at angles and maneuvering low cars - this thing is no fun to manage road obstacles with. wheel / tire - I have put a ton of tires on this thing. The lighter tires for the hybrid seem to take punctures much more easily, and I may be alone in this, but I have replaced a ton of tires. Maintenance - Replace the trans fluid about every other oil change. Use the Honda fluid. If you don't, you gon slip. For real - the maintenance from Honda is spot on and you will start to notice performance issues riht at the maintenance points. They couldn't have done better on this. Paint is fine, dash is fine, electronics all seem to work fine. Not a show car, never going to win a race, and not the best on gas - but the car will get you there and is cheap and reliable. Just follow maintenance and you can't go wrong. I would probably recommend it to a friend who hates cars. I shouldn't have bought it because I am bored with it, but you may like never having a second thought about the appliance in your driveway. Perfect car for someone who just wants it to work.

Much better than my previous Civic Hybrid

by Jim from San Diego, Ca on Sat Sep 24 2011

It drives more like a non-hybrid car! I would recommend it to anyone who wants to save on their gas bbill.

Excellent Hybrid

by Duck from Chicago area on Fri Jul 15 2011

Does what any real hybrid should do, great gas mileage and a comfortable ride with decent handling. It exceeded my overall expectations.

1 2

Our Take on the 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid

If you're shopping for a hybrid based only on the efficiency of its powertrain, the 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid falls short.

Honda has redesigned the entire Civic lineup for 2012, including its hybrid model, which I detail below. For a review of the standard Civic lineup, go here. For the high-powered Si model, go here.

Rated at 44 mpg combined, the Civic Hybrid falls well short of the leader in the segment — the Toyota Prius, which gets 50 mpg combined — despite having a higher starting price.

Shoppers who want a Civic that happens to be a hybrid will be the ones interested in this model, and even then I would advise them to take another look at the traditional gasoline version of the sedan.

Hybrid... Read More