2009 Fit

2009 Honda Fit

2009 Honda Fit

4.5

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2009 Honda Fit?

Love it!

by CP from Ithaca NY on Thu Nov 20 2008

Got the 2009 Sport Fit - were originally looking for the lower level model, but this was all there was available at the time. I really like it - the larger wheels and traction control, and the in-dash audio/nav system are worth the extra cost. Get about 30 MPG around town and 35-36 on the highway. I was wondering if it would have enough power for cruising, but it really zips along. Also, it is cool enough that my teenage kids like being seen in it (in contrast to my old car).

Good for 50,000 miles

by Old Engineer from Ohio on Thu Feb 07 2013

Great engineering, poor quality. I love the room inside, comfortable for 4 people or two and two giant dogs. I can get almost anything in this car. It handles nicely on dry, calm days, a little frisky in wind and not the greatest when it gets slick. The cup holders on dash are in the absolute best place for putting my coffee. Like the GPS but don't like having to pay a hefty sum each year to update it (my other GPS upgrades for free). Suggest you get the extended warranty, though. 100,000 miles is only for the major drive train. At 46,000 things are starting to go. The seat belt doesn't retract well. The blower motor for the heater needs to be replaced. The little spring that opens the fuel door has broken. And never leave the lights on. The battery is hard to find and expensive to replace and it drains fast. This car has a warm garage to sleep in and gets regular service. Good design, mediocre quality.

Great Mileage, versatile, reliable

by Cross country escapes from WV on Sat Sep 22 2012

I love my Fit. It carries all my garden stuff, dog, people and gets great mileage. I love that I can see really well, it fits on country roads, it has just the right amount of "zoom" and didn't cost a fortune. I've had Hondas since 1980 and driven them for high 100,000s. I'd like a smoother ride but blame our deteriorating roads for most of it. I'm happy that I have a vehicle that's reliable and I don't have to drive a gas guzzling monster. Please Honda, don't let it get any bigger.

We are glad we bought this car.

by Kim from Wilmington, DE on Sun Oct 07 2012

My wife and I researched smaller cars for over two months, we decide to find a used Fit, we knew we wanted an 2009 because we could get cruise control. We bought our Fit used from a Toyota dealer, got a great deal and have driven all over the east coast with it. Our trip to Florida we average 42 mpg. all we did was go the speed limit. It is the roomist small car on the market, I am 6"4" and have plenty of head room. I have talked three of my friends into buying a Fit and they all love their cars. My car is manual trans, but if you live in the city I would recommend getting the automatic trans.

Loved my fit

by DeWorde from Asheville on Wed Jul 04 2018

This car was perfect. Im trading it in for something with lower miles but would recommend the fit to anyone. The AC was the only thing that ever needed replacing.

The Fit is Really Going!!

by Wilz from Singapore, SG on Wed Jan 28 2009

We call the Fit, Jazz over at Singapore. Other than the slightly longer nose in the US version, the rest should be the same. Ride wise I can do a 70km/h turn without feeling any danger of toppling over. It is precise, firm on the ride and can easily do a 140km/h speed on the highway without batting an eyelid. My version has paddle shifters so I can drag the gear under 'manual' mode but I would very much prefer the real stick anytime. That said, the AT does its job well and did not encounter any jerking. The car can be said to be built specifically for the asian bodies being more petite. I am a hefty 95KG and 1.7m talls. Still the headroom is enough for me to be comfortable. For the music, I am given a USB connector. I just loaded all my MP3 into the thumb drive and I am playing them in my car as easily. Overall is a good car and don't expect big car aspirations in a small package.

Love it - better than I was expecting even

by Colin from Upstate NY on Sat Feb 28 2009

We have had a 2009 Fit for 6 months. We got this because we wanted a small car but also a hatch back, and needed to fit 5 people, with tall teenagers who could fit in the back easily. Have had it for almost 6 months, and really like. All the things I expected are there, but for a small engined car it is very quick to drive, and we are getting 30-31 mpg around town where we live. The comfort is excellent, and the interior is very functional - even the tallest kids have not problems, whereas they were banging their knees against the back of the front seat in the old Subaru we had. Only thing I do not like is the traction control that makes it hard to go uphill when it is snowing here - generally have to run that off, and the antilock brakes seem a little sensitive when going downhill in the snow...

Oh My Aching Back!!!

by schwinbp from Alburtis, PA on Sat Sep 27 2008

My wife and I finally got our 2009 Honda Fit and my wife experienced the start of her back pain immediately after taking the car off the lot. We tried to give it some time but it just gets worse. The seats extend out very far up your back, which is beyond lumbar, and then drop off to nothing. We had test-driven the 2008's before and they were ok, but the 2009s are really bad. Dealership nor Honda will help us either. They offered us $3000 less back for the car to trade-in and we asked for our old Outback back and they raised that price $2000 from what they gave us for trade-in. Thanks Honda! Sit in this car for a awhile before you by it!!

Does not recommend this car!!

Great car for me

by John Boy from Omaha, NE on Wed Apr 08 2009

I bought a 2009 Fit Sport 5 speed manual in Jan 2009. I have 3500 miles on it since then, mostly commuting in a 50/50 city highway mix. No long trips yet. I am averaging 36 mpg, and that's in winter, which typically drops mpg about 10%. Last two tanks are at 38 mpg, so I expect it to climb to near 40 when the weather warms up. At 6' 2" and 190 lbs, I fit fine in this car. Lots of head and legroom. Seats are good for me and my 5' 4" wife. This is my commuting car - my summer car is a 2006 Mazda MX-5 with some speed mods. So, I have something to compare the Fit to as far as handling. Not bad, but not a sports car either. Steering is nice, brakes are good, suspension is reasonably firm but rolls a bit more than I like in corners. The rear seats are wonderfully designed. Fold flat in a heartbeat, tons of room. Last weekend I carried 30 bags of mulch from Home Depot in one trip. Earlier this year I had four wheels and tires from a Civic, three Bucket Boss buckets and a 12 gallon shop vac back there, and still had a decent amount of room left over. No locking gas cap, which is pretty cheap of them. The foglights actually work and improve the lighting to the side of the road noticeably. Stereo is decent, but no steering wheel controls. The iPod jack in the upper dash is nice. Plays and charges at once. Moves around a little bit in cross-winds, but not too objectionable. Allioy wheels look good. They actually put some decent OEM tires on the car (Dunlops) that are quiet and still handle decently. Even with rear drum brakes, the brakes are fine. It's not a race car, but I can activate the ABS, so plenty of stopping. I was going to buy another 2006 Civic to replace the one I sold to my daughter, but the rear seat arrangement caught my eye and I went this route. Haven't regretted it. Not the most stylish car, but it runs great and meets my needs just fine. When I want to go fast, I get in the other car. This is my commuter car/pickup/hauler/everything car. Things I would like to see on the car and would pay a few hundred more for - 6th gear on the manual (runs at about 2950 rpm at 60 mph), locking gas cap, steering wheel audio controls.

Small but alot of car for the money

by Honda Evangelist from Richmond, VA on Mon Jul 23 2012

I looked at the Chevy Aveo or Sonic as a possible second car. Bought a used Honda Fit instead, and luv it!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Our Take on the 2009 Honda Fit

The Honda Fit subcompact hit the U.S. market in 2007, but it's been sold in numerous countries since 2001, so a redesign is already coming in September for the 2009 model year. The first generation was no slouch; it joined a subcompact class that was already growing, with the Chevrolet Aveo and Scion xB and xA joining the likes of the Hyundai Accent and Suzuki Esteem (the latter since discontinued). Though the Fit's 2007 launch coincided with those of the Nissan Versa and Toyota Yaris, the Fit snatched the top spot, in our opinion, thanks to its overall quality, despite strong competition from the larger, more affordable Versa.

I spent a few hours with the 2009 Fit and Fit Sport in both manual and... Read More