1999 Elantra

3.9 out of 5 starsValue for the Money

All Reviews

Very reliable

by mj from Lillian, AL on March 26, 2009

I bought this car new, it will be 10 years old April. It has 201,000 miles. I have changed the transmission at 125,ooo miles. Timing belt 3 times waterpump twice I have done everything by the book maintainence wise. The interior is still in great shape Would buy another Hyundai.

Decent Car

by chillywilly from Maine/Arizona on August 1, 2009

Great warranty, with the right dealer. It had a very slow coolant leak when new that the original dealer couldn't/wouldn't find That caused major trouble later. And the headlights were aimed at the ground. After that it was near flawless until about 130K then the AC lost its charge, cooling fans quit, CV joints went, radio LCD screen went blank, idle solenoid died, struts needed replacing and many interior bits are breaking. However, she keeps on running! Great fuel mileage 27 city/30+ highway. VERY slow acceleration, but once up to speed she can cruise easily 75+. The auto transmission doesn't always shift smoothly and has always felt a little fragile but it has never given much trouble. Features are spartan, but what it does have is laid out and works well. It fits me but my 6'2" husband is cramped. The back seat has surprisingly adequate room. At 160+K miles we are looking for a replacement.

IT'S A VERY GOOD CAR FOR THE PRICE

by lOREO from SAN DIEGO on February 19, 2008

I BOUGHT THIS CAR BECAUSE I DIDN'T HAVE MORE MONEY AND I REALLY LOVED IT, IT IS SMALL AND IT HAS A NICE SHAPE AND IT IS VERY GOOD EQUIPPED.

Great Car for the money

by Get to Work Guy from Wyoming, MI on July 15, 2007

I bought the car Brand new. It now has about 105K miles on it. I have had very few problems with it. My clutch is just starting to wear out. I had to replace the fuel filter. That Caused me some problems trying to identify the problem. No big deal after it got fixed. One of my Balljoints was in bad shape about 80K miles. I replaced those and the car ran great. The MAF sensor died on me at about $50K, but that was still under warranty. It is now starting to rust a little on the bottom of the doors, but other than that, the car has been great. Most of my driving is in the city. I average about 22-24 MPG. With 140HP, this car has some power (compared to similar cars in this class). The handling is not the greatest on this car, but other than that I really cannot complain about this car. It has been a very reliable car.

Bought it New

by Lili from Elgin, Illinois on August 11, 2006

The car was good until a year or two. Parts started to break little by little. The lights on the dashboard did not work; my axle broke a week after I went to get my winter tires (from a good company). When the air conditioner is on your car does not accelerate very much which is very dangerous, all your horsepower is gone. Seat belt lock, break, and my truck release broke and cost allots to replace. Good things. Good gas mileage and is good for anyone just starting to drive because is easier to park and fit in places. I guess you get for what you pay for.

Does not recommend this car!!

blah

by Jwittdawg from on October 10, 2010

car sucks. i would never drive it again.. it handles terribly and i would never drive as a passenger in this car

Does not recommend this car!!

You get what you pay for.

by Trey from NY on September 10, 2017

This car met all of my needs, it needed a little more than i thought after a few weeks of being purchased but it definitely got the job done.

Our Expert Review: 1999 Hyundai Elantra