2002 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

Change Year
2002 Hyundai Sonata
3.9
Average based on 18 reviews

Quality and Value at Affordable Prices!

by from Olney, Md on August 26, 2009

I have owned 4 Sonatas (1989, 1999, 2002, 2009). My 2002 Sonata, which my family still drives, has over 200,000 miles and still runs practically as well as the day I bought it! That is why I keep coming back to Hyundai. As always, Hyundai offers products of quality and value with all the "bells and whistles" and feel of "expensive" cars at affordable prices. I continue to advise my friends and colleagues to purchase one when they are looking to buy a new car. You can be sure, I'll keep coming back to Hyundai the next time I decide to purchase another car.

Greatest car I've owned really

by from Troy,Ny on January 19, 2010

great reliable car. my battery has lasted eight years and still going. only problem Ive had is the plastic on the headlights fade away.

Affordable but a bit luxurious - Sonata

by from Oakland, CA on September 22, 2008

I've had my 2002 Sonata for 6 years. I bought it for the headlight design and feline lines. It is one of my favorite cars ever. Even my sporty manual-driving husband likes it. Best deal on a sedan for the money. Everything I wanted except heated seats and 6-CD changer. It's an automatic but you can change to a manual control using shiftronic feature, which we use when driving in mountains. Even in automatic mode it has good get-up-and-go except on steep hills. Very comfortable seats for long drives. Was exceptionally quiet when we bought it. 6 years and 1 rear-end later it's not quite so silent but still way better than any VW. Love the sunroof, moderately sporty-shaped bucket front seats, rear optional arm rest/cup holder in center of back, 60/40 split back seat, decent radio. Only 3 glitchy things never fixable: right front passenger window closes slower than all others; the drivers carpet mat never stays hooked in place and scoots forward over days; and some of the panel lights (hot/cold) have gone out now twice. And the trunk always seems to hold less than I expect. Yes, that is the full sum of my complaints and I know how to complain, trust me. Love this comfortable ride!

DO NOT BUY

by from Syracuse, NY on June 7, 2006

this car sucks i should have not even of bougt it for $7699.00 but it is not even worth $100.00 do not buy this car it always breakes down and the ratater fans always blow.

Excellent car, very comfortable, economical!

by from Sacramento, CA on August 12, 2006

The Hyundai Sonata GLS is a fantastic car and very ecomical. I have never had any problems with mine and it still drives like it is brand new. Hyundai has come a long way with their cars and they are now definitely on the same level as Toyota and Honda. I would recommend this car to anyone!

Have no complaints

by from Pittsburgh, PA on November 12, 2013

Purchased from Sr citizen who was moving closer to family. 2002 GLS with the 2.7 V6. Has all options. 41,000 miles. Leather interior like new. A couple door dings and scratches on bumper. Had body shop make it like new by painting bumpers. Fixed the dings. Car is kind of fun, decent power for year. Dependable so far. Decided to do 60, 000 service because of cars age. Car looks new inside and out. Going to drive till 100, 000. To change cars look changed front grill to Korean spec grill. Changed look of car to something more expensive. No complaints about car at all. Great $4500 buy.

Fast And Quiet

by from Albany OR, on July 1, 2008

Ive road this car for thousands of miles it is very smoothand has a lot of accelleration ist looks arent as good as a honda to most people but i think it is extremely cute and nice. and i would recommend it to anyone who wants a fast AND quiet car thin is the car for you. and it gets decent fuel economy for a V6 i get 31 MPG on the highway and 24 in the city. Its great!!!

best car i've ever owned

by from Everett Washington on July 30, 2007

This is absolutely the best car i've ever owned. With almost 90k miles i still have no squeaks or rattles. this car is still solid after 5 years of ownership. i have done only scheduled maintenance--replaced wiper blades and oil. only one unschedlued repair for the steering pump at 85k. drove 1500 miles to california @ 75mph and still got 30mpg! Who needs a mercedes?

I am Impressed.

by from chicago IL on August 29, 2006

purchased vehicle new .great styling, has been reliable. great warranty 5/6000 10/100000 nobody matches that, hyundai is becoming a contender if they prove reliable over time and keep refining thier automobiles like they have been they will be the next HONDA. check out the 2007 sonata very nice just hate to give up the 02

MOST RELIABLE CAR I EVER OWNED

by from MICH on November 24, 2007

BOUGHT CAR NEW IN 02 HAVE 123,000 MILES ON IT AND NEVER BEEN BACK TO DEALER FOR ANY PROBLUMS JUST REGULER MAINTENENCE.