2012 Hyundai Sonata

Ignition Key Problem

by from San Diego, California on September 18, 2017

Pin in ignition switch drops unexpectedly, key cannot be removed and security system is inoperable. In 2013 Hyundai removed the faulty pin from all Hyundai ignition switches. Hyundai needs to put out a recall; this is a huge problem across all pre 2013 models.

Uses car for Transportingfamily

Great mid-size vehicle 2.0t

by from University Park, PA on September 13, 2017

Had this vehicle for 5 years/80,000m, no repairs outside of basic service, tires 43,000m; and brakes at 60,000. The engine was very responsive on highway drives. The driver's seat did not provide the best support but I'm 6'2' 200+.

Nice smooth ride

by from Antioch Ca on September 4, 2017

Comfortable car nice amenities for the money pretty good on gas heated seats work great excellent styling
Not Rated Reliability

Great commuter car

by from Honeoye Falls, NY on September 1, 2017

Very spacious interior. I'm a 6'4" guy and this car accommodates me quite well. In my case, 33 MPG as I mostly drive on highways. In fact, I also like that 1 full tank of gas gives me more than 500 miles range, which means I only need to pump gas once a week during winter.

Worst car made

by from Fort worth, tx on August 29, 2017

This vehicle only lasted me 2 weeks before needing a new motor. Who knows next could have been a transmission.

One of the best i have had

by from Gastonia nc on August 24, 2017

Irs great car roomy very comfortable. Love the way the seats feel srero ans bluetooth is great the ride o highway is smootj

Great Manuf

by from Los Angeles California on August 17, 2017

Excellent service coming from the top of the company. Car always ran great and there was a recall on engine out of warranty. They still took care of it.

Was pleasently surprised with the power!

by from Harbor Springs,Mi on August 12, 2017

Was pleasantly surprised at how much power the car had. We also like the seats and the interior. The outside of the car is quite stylish. My son owns one of these and has had zero problems and has been very happy.
Not Rated Reliability

Outstanding vehicle

by from SC, PA on August 9, 2017

This vehicle was an excellent vehicle, low maintenance, superb highway mileage 35+ great acceleration, the only minus was suspension/weight too light.

Uses car for Havingfun

I really wanted to like this car

by from Boston, MA on August 7, 2017

Last year, I was a first time Hyundai buyer when I decided to buy a 2012 Sonata with 20K miles. I was a little nervous about the quality as I’ve had Hondas for most of my life, but I took comfort in Hyundai’s warranty. But within the course of one year, I had several quality issues with the car like peeling paint, a rattling moonroof, and a broken radio (plus three recalls). Turns out the warranty was not that helpful because with all of these issues, the dealer said this was “normal wear and tear” and would not cover the repairs. Ended up paying for the repairs myself. The final straw was when the A/C compressor blew at 40K miles. The dealer would not cover it under warranty and it was going to be $2K to fix. That was it. I could no longer justify pouring money into a car that only had 40K miles on it. I didn’t fix the A/C and I traded the Sonata in for a 2014 Accord the following week. One other issue I had was the gas mileage. On the highway, it was great - 35 mpg. But for my commute into the city with stop-and-go traffic, I averaged 19-21 MPG. With my old Accord on the same commute, I got 24-25 MPG. Like I said, I really wanted to like this car. It’s a GREAT looking car inside and out, the 2.4L engine has a lot of pickup, it’s roomy, and it’s well-appointed for the money. But the quality is not there and the dealers do not stand behind their product. The Accords and Camrys of the world may not look at nice as the Sonata (although the newer ones aren’t as good looking), but in the end they’ll be a lot easier on your wallet and your patience.

Our Expert Review: 2012 Hyundai Sonata