2012 Sonata Hybrid

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

4.3

Have you driven the 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid?

Love the Car

by First Hybrid Car Owner from Cleveland, OH on March 31, 2012

The simplest summary is that in my opinion, this is the best roomiest hybrid on the market at under $30,000. The best features for the interior are: 1) The electronic system operates in a logical fashion - I particularly like the system of chimes that tell when the car is turned off, when the engine is on and when something needs to be done such as buckle a seatbelt. 2) The seats are very comfortable and combined with the adjustable steering wheel allow one to be comfortable and to change position during long trips. 3) The Bluetooth works very well to allow hands-free driving. This is a feature that I would not have purchased because I was naive to it before purchasing this car. Now, I would not function without it. 4) Overall roominess - can carry two grandchildren with car seats, daughter, wife and all the luggage for a week-long trip. The exterior is very handsome and has garnered many complements. The headlight system works well and provides excellent illumination of what is ahead. It is wide enough to enable me to see an approaching deer in pitch black night so that I was able to avoid a collision. The engine/transmission is smooth in operatoin and provides good acceleration and smooth shifting, provided that one disengages blue-drive when going up steep hills. Braking is sure and the regenerative system is smooth. Gas mileage I have gotten is about 35 mpg in the city, 45 mpg on the highway. This is driving "normally". If I am not in a rush, I can get 48-50 mpg on the highway driving at 55mph. I average about 40-42 mpg except when it is cold and I turn on heat and heated seats - both work very well but drop the mileage by about 3-4 mpg. The only thing that I would change is I would get leather apolstery - the cloth is too easily stained by our grandchildren.

best large size hybrid

by Cleveland-Bob from Cleveland Ohio on January 7, 2012

The essential value of the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is that it has the most leg, hip and shoulder room of any hybrid for sale in the US. Hence if one wants a large car that get good mileage, the Sonata hybrid is a great choice. After more than 7000 miles, I find the car fun to drive and I get complements on its looks. Before the snow hit in Northeast Ohio, this car was getting over 40mpg in mixed driving. The cold weather and snow have reduced the mileage to 37-39mpg. The drop is due to energy is needed for the heated seats, heater and there is an increase in rolling friction associated with packed snow compared to clean pavement. I find the electronic recognition and ignition system operates logically. I appreciate the easy entry and exit. The seating is comfortable and heating system will quickly make the car toasty. The trunk can hold alot even though it is compressed by the battery. There is a pass through into the trunk that proved handy for carrying a pair of skis inside the car. So far the car has hancled well on wet and dry pavement and on packed snow. My only complaint is that the upholstery gets water marks easily. I would definitely recommend this car to a friend/relative. The long warranty provides a sense of security. The Sonata hybrid is the best car I have ever owned!!

I liked the first so much, I bought my wife one

by Owner of two Sonata Hybrid Cars from Cleveland, Ohio on June 8, 2012

My wife and I are now a 2 Sonata Hybrid family. The first a 2011 base model with heated seats installed by the dealer, the second a 2012 model with the leather package. Both metallic hyper silver. I got the second car because I wanted my wife to have a solid safe car that she enjoyed driving (she put more miles on the hybrid than on her Saturn Aura) and that had an excellent Bluetooth system. I had tried to put install Bluetooth as an aftermarket add-on to her car, but it did not work nearly as effectively as the Bluetooth in the Sonata Hybrid. Safety is important and the Sonata Bluetooth makes it easy to have totally hands free phone use for both calling and receiving calls. In addition, we found that the handling of the Sonata Hybrid was superb with excellent accident avoidance and straight tracking braking. We both like the feel of driving this car. It is also the most popular car with our grandchildren. The ride is very smooth so they can fall asleep in their car seats and the excellent crash rating makes us feel secure while driving our precioius cargo. My daughter drives an Elantra that was made in the US and while the hybrids are made in Korea, my wife and I are pleased that the other Sonatas and Elantras are designed and assembled in the US. I seriously considerred other hybrids, but the Sonata hybrid provides the most driver room and ease of entry of any mid-sized hybrid under $30,000. The 2011 had some low speed hesitation that resolved with free computer adjustments on the first two services. The 2012 started out great. It is economical - with the 2011 I averaged 42+ mpg over more than 12,000 miles in mixed driving (about 70% in the city). With the 2012, I averaged 48+mpg on 2 fillups (almost 500 miles). In summary, this is a very comfortable and safe car that looks good, is fun to drive and is packed with useful technology such as a very effective Bluetooth system.

Disappointed in the performance

by Hank from Texas on June 4, 2012

I purchased my 2012 Sonata hybrid about 4 weeks ago. My mistake was not taking a hybrid for a test drive before buying it. The dealerships here didn?t have any in stock at the time so I test drove the gas model. I?d read about the rough transition going from battery to gas but I figured it was just consumers being overly critical. I was wrong. Mine seems to do it not only going from battery to gas but also during initial acceleration in battery mode as well as low speed accelerating in gas mode. I am totally disappointed with this issue. I may be doing what I thought the other owners were doing, being too critical, I?m comparing my Sonata to my wife?s 2012 Lincoln MKZ hybrid. Hers drives so much smoother than the Sonata does. The gas mileage on my Sonata is not nearly as good as advertised either. I took it on a weekend road trip (about 700 miles total) and actually only got 34.5 mpg doing 65-69 mph. I can?t figure that one out. I really like the car otherwise but am disappointed in the two issues I?ve mentioned.

why don't more people buy this car?

by woman engineer from ny on June 12, 2012

I have yet to see another sonata hybrid on the road, and I don't understand why. It's not much more money then the regular sonata, you can get a better deal on them since they are not popular, and you get great gas mileage... I do mostly highway and I'm getting about 37 mpg. I love filling up much less often, having a range more than 100 miles greater than my last car (a lexus.) As an engineer, I really enjoy listening to the engine and checking the stats while I'm driving. The only negative is that the seat is too deep for me (and I'm 5"5", not short) and I have to use a pillow. Other friends who have Sonatas say they are reliable, I guess I'll just have to wait and see.'m getting used to the exterior styling, which I think is too busy and overdone... but it is aerodynamic and quiet. It sure is prettier than the camry, and more roomy (and faster) than the prius. I'm enjoying this new car!

So far so good my Hyundai Hybrid has lived up

by Sonny from Lasa Vegas on April 27, 2012

I have had the car for about a month and have enjoyed driving the car a lot. I am surprised at how the car makes you drive more economically by showing how it's doing every second you are behind the wheel. I find myself enjoying the challenge of getting better mileage as I drive. The only complaint I have is the car doesn't come with a spare tire so if you have a blow out the canned sealer isn't going to get you back on the road so this means a long wait to be towed.

Love The MPG

by Middle Aged Dad from Liberty, MO on May 29, 2014

I owned a 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid for 7 months prior to this purchase. Browsing the web I realized I could trade in the Fusion for a similarly equipped low mileage sonata hybrid and save a large amount on my monthly payments. I couldn't be more pleased with the switch. My MPG after 2100 miles driven with the sonata is 44 overall average while the best I could get in the Fusion was 39. I was disappointed in Ford's claim of 47/47 city and highway driving. No way will you ever get 47 on the highway. Also the gas tank is 4-5 gallons smaller on the fusion so you're filling up a lot more. The sonata feels roomier and I've received several compliments on the styling and color. I owned a 2011 elantra which was a little small for the family. I love this purchase and my warranty on a used Hyundai hybid is better than the new Ford's warranty.

Bang for the buck

by shweddy from Phila, PA on May 9, 2012

I'm coming from a 2006 Acura TSX and looked at the 2012 but decided to go with the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid for the same price. Only complaints: -Needs an option for a mult-way power passenger seat -iPhone disconnects during first 30 seconds of startup, probably due to contention with Bluetooth audio streaming. -NAV system needs more refined categories in POI's (no office supplies category) -Some shifting back and forth between EV and gas engine while warming up, causing some uneveness in shifting early on. Other than these minor complaints , a joy to drive. I opted for the premium package for the panoramic sunroof and upgraded audio system (Infiniti speakers!!!). Look for a plugin Hybrid and maybe a wagon (already in Europe) to arrive

I cannot be happier with this nice looking ride!

by Cruisin fool from Placerville, Ca. on May 12, 2016

With a fine glide as, it rolls down the street. It's makes you wonder why everyone doe's try one out. There are a lot of cool cars out there right now. This one is just beautiful. No complaints from me. I love it!

Super car with Great Styling

by Will from Cincinnati on October 23, 2014

The Sonata, my second one, is one of the best cars I've ever owned. Mileage is right on. 33-35 around town. A little less in very cold weather. 39-40 Highway only. If you don't drive like a "Jack Rabbit" you will get the described mileage.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

Editor's note: This review was written in October 2010 about the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2012, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Estimated mileage ratings have been lowered to reflect a November 2012 EPA audit of this car's stated mileage.

In the world of hybrids, there are two schools of thought: You can buy a Toyota Prius — a hard-core, 50-mpg hybrid with funky styling and a utilitarian interior — or you can pay more and get less-spectacular mileage in a more comfortable sedan, like a Ford Fusion or Toyota Camry hybrid. Hyundai joins that second group with its first... Read More