2016 Sonata Plug-In Hybrid

2016 Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrid

2016 Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrid

4.4

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2016 Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrid?

Solid Vehicle in Every Way

by Edward from San Diego, CA on Sun Jan 10 2016

I only have 1100 miles on the car, so it's early days. But I'm still on the original tank of gas! I use the 120V charger that comes with the car to charge it. I get home from work around 6:00PM and the car is always charged up when I'm leaving in the morning. I understand that if the battery were flat it would take 9 hours to charge. Mine's plugged in for 13 hours every night so it's not an issue. Also, It's kinda nice not having to go to the gas station so often. The Sonata felt much larger to me than the Volt I drove. That's way I went the Sonata. My only regret is that I wish I would have choosen the Seaport Mist color. I saw one of those on the road the other day and I really like that color.

Reliable and efficient car

by Prolix74 from Bartlett, IL on Mon Jan 15 2018

This car meets and exceeds all of my driving needs especially for my daily short commute that can be driven by using little to no gas.

Im so sure i made the right choice

by LennyS. from Brooklyn NY on Sun Feb 26 2017

Have to say I work for Uber/Lyft and this car would be the best on gas, style and comfortability. Ive only driven for 2 days, so I can't give full details. But so far I'm very comfortable with My new Sonata. Whithin 2 days. I only charged one time for an hour and still have a full tank and 50% charge left.

It's an overlooked diamond-in-the-rough

by curtismapman from West Sacramento on Tue Apr 25 2017

This car continues to impress me but it's so sad that I've only seen one other in my eight months of ownership (and that guy was as equally impressed). Though the Limited's sticker is pricey, after added tax incentives and rebates, my out-the-door cost was less than $30,000. There isn't another car you can get with this level of technology, build-quality, safety, luxury, and comfort for anywhere near $30K. I love the exterior styling which Hyundai has called Fluidic Sculpture 2.0. Earlier years - 2010-2014 - had the 1.0 which is far too rakish for my tastes. This more restrained look will age much better and appear newer, longer. The interior fit and finish is top-notch and the dash layout is extremely thoughtful and intuitive. The only nit-pick I have is the car's low profile, which makes getting out of the seat a bit of an exercise (I am 6' 3"). Oh...and fuel economy. I should mention the 8,000 miles was achieved on six tankfuls of gas; about 1300 miles per tankful. That averages roughly 80 MPG. I charge overnight on my home current and it's ready for about 30 miles of all-electric every day. With the PG&E EV discount, it's less than a dollar a day. I only use the ICE on longer trips or when it's real cold. (That reviewer that said you need a Level 2 charger doesn't know what he/she's talking about.) I feel like I've purchased a car that's somewhat future-proof and one I can live with for a long, long time.

Excellent Fuel Economy & Performance

by 240vPlug from North Laurel, MD on Sun Sep 17 2017

Plug-in range is about 30 miles. If you don't plug it in it runs just like a regular hybrid and gets 40+ mpg. Has tons of great features (Limited Model) usually only found on upscale luxury vehicles. Apple Car Play and Android Auto work excellent with this vehicle. The driving experience is the perfect blend between handling and comfort with a little more emphasis on comfort which makes it a great family car. While it isn't going to win any races it does have a combined 203HP so it will get up and move when you put the pedal down. This is far from your typical economy car....its a full size car loaded with options that performs well and gets 40+ mpg when operating in regular hybrid mode.

Got CHECK ENGINE light Day 3 new Sonata Ltd PHEV

by montegobay408 from San Jose, CA on Tue Dec 22 2015

Not very happy - only 100 miles on day 3. Already got a CHECK ENGINE light. Salesman and manager is not returning calls or email. BTW, if you get a PHEV, be ready to set aside another $1000 to install a Level 2 charger. Just saying. How can a brand new car already get CHECK ENGINE light ? Simply not acceptable !

Does not recommend this car!!

Can't wait to find one!

by JMo on Thu Jul 12 2018

I am so excited about the prospect of buying this car. It looks super spiffy, runs like a dream, and is part electric. What else could you ask for?