1993 Grand Cherokee

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee

$25 - $3,865  MSRP Range

Have You Driven the 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Great car for mountains and town

by Straightpath1 from Southern California on Fri Dec 21 2007

We have owned this car for 12 years. It now has 180,000 miles on the original engine, and I expect to go to 300,000 before I need a valve job. The mechanics tell me the engine is more durable than the new ones, but the horsepower is less. Gas mileage in stop and go freeway traffic is only about 13. On the open highway, fully loaded with 5 people and gear I have gotten 23 mpg. We can drive the car to the mountains, the desert, to the theater, and really anywhere. One can haul brick and concrete, tow, put a ski rack on, a 4 bike rack on the back, and carry 5 people with all their gear with no problems. The car has been great towing a travel trailer, and for camping, and long distance travel to the Rocky Mountains from Southern California. This is an excellent bad weather car, and snow, rain, water, and mud do not stop it. One needs to keep on top of the maintenance as things can and do break on a car of this age and mileage. The car is still very solid and has no squeaks or rattles. The water pump tends to go out every 40,000 miles like clockwork, so plan for that on the 6 cylinder (about $250.00) Other than that, it runs very well, and dependably. You are not going to burn the tires off the axles with the power, but for all reasonable uses of the vehicle, the power and torque is more than adequate. The only time I wished I had a V8 was in towing a travel trailer fully loaded, plus five people and gear up side of an 8,000 foot mountain peak in the Sierras. I made it, but was running at no more that 50 mph on the way up. As the first model year, it may become an eventual "classic."

Bob the Burro

by James Cramer from Natrona Heights, PA on Tue Apr 03 2018

We bought Bob the Burro new in 1992 for delivery early '93, prior to the first model changes. Bob worked well for us ( my wife Cathy included) over 263,000 miles before we gave him to our nephew, Shawn. Bob traveled pavement mostly, but had seasons of heavy snow in Michigan & Idaho, & mud in Louisiana, Indiana & both substances in Pennsylvania. Bob made Targee pass into Wyoming, in Jan. 2001, Wolf Creek pass CO Feb. 1998, & a unnamed pass between somewhere & Leadville CO in 1995. His other achievements include several white-out blizzards along I-70, I-80, I-90 & Malad pass Idaho over a road closed for 3 ft. show after entry (they thought we were lost). Bob did everything we asked, except stay air-conditioned & keep his radio on, for a quarter century. I easily fixed the air-conditioning & didn't need the radio. He used up 3 fuel pumps, one radiator, 5 sets of tires, 3 sets of shocks, 2 headlights, one fog light, 2 windshields, a couple skid plates & one seat cover. Bob carried lots of aftermarket lights, a cargo carrier, exterior tire mount, grille brush guard & overhead spot & warning lights (Police reserve & Chaplain duty). He was loved by 2 dogs. He pulled several heavy loads, including a mobile home & horse trailer. He was only hit once during his first week out of dealer, that in the rear which puckered his plastic bumper, a wound he kept for life. Our nephew drives Bob to work every day, takes him out in the snow & mud whenever available, keeps him in a warm garage (something he never had with us). We still love Bob & check on him occasionally. His successor, Larry, a Wrangler JK-US, called "Lizard Leader" is taking after Bob's record. Check with us in about 20 years for a similar Larry story. If you can find a "Bob", buy one; it's the ultimate vehicle for everything including the Apocalypse.

press x to flip jeep

by Ayex from Georgia on Wed May 27 2015

after miles rolled over 1 time and being 21 years old it took very little to maintain this car, old hose to fix here or there, light bulb went out. even designed so when belt pully gave out it held belt so i could drive it to an auto part store and fix it within 5 mins being uncar savy. in the end i was driving wreckless 65mph down a dirt road and swerved to avoid hitting a dog, flipped 2 times in a tumble and landed on all 4 tires. 2 broken windows, bashed in back end, and warped frame. with no seltbelt me and the jeep were okay enough to drive home. nothing but a sore back and the loss of my beloved car. 10/10 safety, you could shoot the engine several times with a shotgun and still drive away to my belief

NIce Truck a love driving it

by mud enthusiast from DeKalb, IL on Wed Jun 27 2007

This is a very good SUV I've had ti for a few mounths now and i havnt had any trouble with it. It handles very well in the snow as well as light off roading. i have not had the chance to take it many places off roading but so far i have been unable to get it stuck.

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by SUV Fanatic from BaBSON PARK, ma on Tue May 27 2008

Very spacy and comfortable vehicle. It is a very good deal for most families. I particularly like the features in this top end SUV.

1993 Jeep Grand cherokee

by Jetski93 from Deerfield Beach, Florida on Mon Dec 20 2010

I am writing you this review of my 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4. I bought this Jeep in 1998 which had 95,000 Miles on it and today it has 236,000 Miles. Everything on this jeep is all original factory equipment. I specifically wanted a Laredo with a 4x4 system which include the "FULL TIME 4" Before finding this one, i only seen the Full Time 4 only on the 6-cylinder Limited version or if it had a V-8. So when i had the opportunity with this one, I did not hesitate. I practically bought it over the phone without looking at it in person. Maintenance wise, I have been running FULL SYNTHETIC OIL (10W 30) and I have been using a Fram Tough guard Filter PH8. SYNTHETIC Differential oil, Dex-cool Anti-Freeze in the cooling system, K&N Air filter Parts I have changed on this Jeep are, Radiator, Water pump, Steering Damper Shock, fuel Pressure regulator, ignition coil, Serpentine Belt and 2 idler pulleys, Harmonic Balancer. I do 90% of all the maintenance and repair work on my Jeep. Parts I only get from the Dealer. I have found Parts house parts sometimes do not fit properly or not at all. Problems i have encountered are with the security system which shut down the jeep but was able to overcome that. The shutdown was caused by repeated programming of the Key less remote. I did not have the complete process in programming. I finally got the process down and correct. Another problem is with the VIC (Vehicle Information Console). I have learned there is a problem with the Solder connections on the board. This causes high resistance between components which in turn cause a higher amperage and this cause the unit to fail. So if you are experiencing VIC problem like, it comes on sometimes and off other times, it is the solder connection inside the unit. Another problem you will discover, the paint will sometimes fade or peel off. not all Jeeps have this problem. And also the Speedometer will incorrectly indicate inaccurate speeds. These mentioned problem I discovered with vehicles that are not driven on a daily basis like mine. i mostly drive my jeep when I need to tow my Jetskies, utility trailer or my Race car Trailer or sometimes pull out tree Stumps. "YEA" it has an awesome "4-LOW". On one occasion, I towed a friends tractor trailer "Cab Only" with my Jeep. Remember this always, when you are towing heavy loads, "PLEASE TURN OFF THE O/D". Other than that, it sits most of the time. This is not a good thing. Overall on the 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee, it is a solid vehicle and was design to last a long time. I am happy with mine and most of the problems are easy to correct without putting a hole in your pocket. I will say this much, it is much CHEAPER TO MAINTAIN A Jeep Grand Cherokee that to maintain a FORD or GM produce of similar category. i have seen both sides of the maintenance issues. For those of you out there whom are considering a SUV, take a second and third look at a Jeep. If you have any questions about Jeeps, Feel free to drop me a line or two. Give me a Jeep ANYTIME>

Uses car for Towing

This is my review

by I'm Serious from In the Burbs on Wed Sep 16 2009

It's a fun vehicle - great off road, better on the road. I would kiss it if I could. But I want to kick it - bad tranny problems.

first car

by cole from pensacola,FL on Wed Mar 26 2008

Great Car first car I owned miss it very much. It was a very nice car. Never had any problems. Does flip easily which is how I lost the car.

Most beautiful, reliable, and easy to drive car I'

by DylanLang from Mount Vernon, Ohio on Fri Aug 10 2018

This car has never left me stranded whether that be in the middle of the road or down in some mud. The v8 engine sounds and runs perfectly, occupied by a Flowmaster exhaust system.

I bought this car used and was so pleased with it

by Jeremyzdad from Silver Spring on Mon Mar 20 2017

I prefer American made cars, and always liked jeep, but had never had or ridden in one. I had a 2004 dodge ram 1500 hemi, and I loved it also, but something about jeep got me to change my mind.

Our Take on the 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee

To paraphrase one of Lee Iacocca's televised pep talks: In the sport-utility business, you either lead, follow or get out of the way.

The new and very adroit Jeep Grand Cherokee seems capable of completing all three moves.

Lead. It carries a definite promise of leadership, with sales of the base Cherokee and up-market Grand Cherokee creeping up on first-place Ford Explorer in the sport-utility stakes. In a rare, total rout of the Asian competition, these two product lines account for about 60% of the domestic market for sod bruisers.

Follow. Jeep-Chrysler clearly has pursued customer demands for a quality-built four-wheel-drive vehicle with elegant appointments and neat mechanical luxuries... Read More