1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Average based on 7 reviews

1993 Jeep Grand cherokee

by from Deerfield Beach, Florida on December 20, 2010

I am writing you this review of my 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4. I bought this Jeep in 1998 which had 95,000 Miles on it and today it has 236,000 Miles. Everything on this jeep is all original factory equipment. I specifically wanted a Laredo with a 4x4 system which include the "FULL TIME 4" Before finding this one, i only seen the Full Time 4 only on the 6-cylinder Limited version or if it had a V-8. So when i had the opportunity with this one, I did not hesitate. I practically bought it over the phone without looking at it in person. Maintenance wise, I have been running FULL SYNTHETIC OIL (10W 30) and I have been using a Fram Tough guard Filter PH8. SYNTHETIC Differential oil, Dex-cool Anti-Freeze in the cooling system, K&N Air filter Parts I have changed on this Jeep are, Radiator, Water pump, Steering Damper Shock, fuel Pressure regulator, ignition coil, Serpentine Belt and 2 idler pulleys, Harmonic Balancer. I do 90% of all the maintenance and repair work on my Jeep. Parts I only get from the Dealer. I have found Parts house parts sometimes do not fit properly or not at all. Problems i have encountered are with the security system which shut down the jeep but was able to overcome that. The shutdown was caused by repeated programming of the Key less remote. I did not have the complete process in programming. I finally got the process down and correct. Another problem is with the VIC (Vehicle Information Console). I have learned there is a problem with the Solder connections on the board. This causes high resistance between components which in turn cause a higher amperage and this cause the unit to fail. So if you are experiencing VIC problem like, it comes on sometimes and off other times, it is the solder connection inside the unit. Another problem you will discover, the paint will sometimes fade or peel off. not all Jeeps have this problem. And also the Speedometer will incorrectly indicate inaccurate speeds. These mentioned problem I discovered with vehicles that are not driven on a daily basis like mine. i mostly drive my jeep when I need to tow my Jetskies, utility trailer or my Race car Trailer or sometimes pull out tree Stumps. "YEA" it has an awesome "4-LOW". On one occasion, I towed a friends tractor trailer "Cab Only" with my Jeep. Remember this always, when you are towing heavy loads, "PLEASE TURN OFF THE O/D". Other than that, it sits most of the time. This is not a good thing. Overall on the 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee, it is a solid vehicle and was design to last a long time. I am happy with mine and most of the problems are easy to correct without putting a hole in your pocket. I will say this much, it is much CHEAPER TO MAINTAIN A Jeep Grand Cherokee that to maintain a FORD or GM produce of similar category. i have seen both sides of the maintenance issues. For those of you out there whom are considering a SUV, take a second and third look at a Jeep. If you have any questions about Jeeps, Feel free to drop me a line or two. Give me a Jeep ANYTIME>

Uses car for Towing

Great car for mountains and town

by from Southern California on December 21, 2007

We have owned this car for 12 years. It now has 180,000 miles on the original engine, and I expect to go to 300,000 before I need a valve job. The mechanics tell me the engine is more durable than the new ones, but the horsepower is less. Gas mileage in stop and go freeway traffic is only about 13. On the open highway, fully loaded with 5 people and gear I have gotten 23 mpg. We can drive the car to the mountains, the desert, to the theater, and really anywhere. One can haul brick and concrete, tow, put a ski rack on, a 4 bike rack on the back, and carry 5 people with all their gear with no problems. The car has been great towing a travel trailer, and for camping, and long distance travel to the Rocky Mountains from Southern California. This is an excellent bad weather car, and snow, rain, water, and mud do not stop it. One needs to keep on top of the maintenance as things can and do break on a car of this age and mileage. The car is still very solid and has no squeaks or rattles. The water pump tends to go out every 40,000 miles like clockwork, so plan for that on the 6 cylinder (about $250.00) Other than that, it runs very well, and dependably. You are not going to burn the tires off the axles with the power, but for all reasonable uses of the vehicle, the power and torque is more than adequate. The only time I wished I had a V8 was in towing a travel trailer fully loaded, plus five people and gear up side of an 8,000 foot mountain peak in the Sierras. I made it, but was running at no more that 50 mph on the way up. As the first model year, it may become an eventual "classic."

NIce Truck a love driving it

by from DeKalb, IL on June 27, 2007

This is a very good SUV I've had ti for a few mounths now and i havnt had any trouble with it. It handles very well in the snow as well as light off roading. i have not had the chance to take it many places off roading but so far i have been unable to get it stuck.

press x to flip jeep

by from Georgia on May 27, 2015

after miles rolled over 1 time and being 21 years old it took very little to maintain this car, old hose to fix here or there, light bulb went out. even designed so when belt pully gave out it held belt so i could drive it to an auto part store and fix it within 5 mins being uncar savy. in the end i was driving wreckless 65mph down a dirt road and swerved to avoid hitting a dog, flipped 2 times in a tumble and landed on all 4 tires. 2 broken windows, bashed in back end, and warped frame. with no seltbelt me and the jeep were okay enough to drive home. nothing but a sore back and the loss of my beloved car. 10/10 safety, you could shoot the engine several times with a shotgun and still drive away to my belief

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by from BaBSON PARK, ma on May 27, 2008

Very spacy and comfortable vehicle. It is a very good deal for most families. I particularly like the features in this top end SUV.

first car

by from pensacola,FL on March 26, 2008

Great Car first car I owned miss it very much. It was a very nice car. Never had any problems. Does flip easily which is how I lost the car.

This is my review

by from In the Burbs on September 16, 2009

It's a fun vehicle - great off road, better on the road. I would kiss it if I could. But I want to kick it - bad tranny problems.