NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
1997 Grand Cherokee

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee

$268 - $6,052  MSRP Range
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee

4.1

4 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have You Driven the 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Spacious and Reliable

by Its a Jeep Thing from Simsbury, CT on Tue Jan 14 2014

I have a 1997 Grand Cherokee TSI with the 4.0 Straight six. It has over 212'000 thousand miles and the motor is still running strong. I use only synthetic mobile one oil and have it service on time and everything the manual recommends from draining the coolant every couple years and flushing the transmission. If you take care of these Jeeps they will last forever. That said if you neglect them and treat them like third rate citizens, they will still last a long time but will give you heartache. They get less then 19 around town and they can get over 20 on the highway if you drive like a 90 year old woman on a Sunday, but who does that. I love mine and do my best to maintain her as best I can afford. If you buy one with a lot of miles on it be ready to invest some money to get her into a good stance but once there she'll treat you right.

Solid vehicle

by ordinary guy from Rochester Minn on Mon Dec 23 2013

I bought my 1997 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited from a private party after it had a "soft rollover" off road, It was 10 years old and had 105,000 miles on it. A 3rd party replaced the windshield and front fender and did body work so that it looks fine from 10 feet away. I've used this Jeep as a daily driver ever since and it now has 211,000 miles. I've hauled stuff with it, towed other cars, driven in deep snow and even pulled the mailman out of the ditch with it. It sits outside all winter in the upper midwest and starts every day. Its comfortable and good power yet in the summer I can get 20 mpg combined driving. Its not perfect however, the A/C does not work, nor the rear wiper. During my ownership, I have replaced the muffler, front sway bar links, the driver seat heater and all the audio speakers. Its also had the intake gasket replaced. Overall, the dollars spent have been very small and it has been very reliable and more continues to perform very well. These are well designed and well built vehicles.

Good all around, still going strong

by High school farm boy from Ohio on Thu Jul 21 2011

My Grand Cherokee Laredo has 117k miles and is still running strong. Good off- road ability, I have only been stuck once (3 foot snow bank got me). The 4.0 I-6 gives decent power. With the back seats folded down, there is a lot of room for firewood, seed bags, etc. Gas mileage isn't great, though mine is the all time 4x4 model and I average about 16 mpg. Overall a good vehicle. Everything kept stock. ( So far)

Great Jeep

by BP from Saugerties, NY on Wed Oct 31 2007

This model Jeep is one of the best out there. It's reliable, strong, and gets decent gas mileage. At 150k, I am getting around 23mpg on the highway. Styling is great. If there's one thing that Jeep does good, is making a box look like a great vehicle. Interior on mine was comfortable, but leather seemed to rip kind of easily. No complaints on heat or AC. Speakers are notoriously bad, but aftermarket replacements are easy to come by and make the system sound great Overall, I was more than satisfied with my first Jeep, and I'm purchasing another one soon.

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee-Orvis

by Tjohns from St. Paul, MN on Mon Jul 21 2014

My Jeep has wear and tear and 250,000 miles but, still runs perfectly. The 5.2-318 V8 is the most reliable engine ever built. I've driven my Jeep for 7 years in all weather conditions and never had any serious problems. The Jeep durability is very good and reliability is excellent. If you keep up with oil changes and maintenance the Jeep runs forever.

I have owned 4 jeeps

by grnmtnwoman from Barre, Vt on Tue Sep 19 2017

The only problem I have had with ALL 4 I have owned is electrically, Lights short out on dash and I have had to pull fuses out for dome lights because they drain the battery, but I now have a heavy duty battery too. They go anywhere in the winter in Vt., with good STUDDED SNOW TIRES ! No all season tires for me EVER ! Now there are 5 jeeps running in our family .. That says something for them!

Jeep's are Fun and dependable!

by Chevy Fan from Dallas on Wed Jul 12 2006

This jeep drives very well, it is older so it has slight wear on the seats but the engine is in very good condition and everything works properly.

Sentimental but not Worth your Money

by Stags from Denver, CO on Mon Jun 04 2018

I love my car and I've had it for years, it belonged to my grandfather so it has lots of sentimental value and it looks great and worked well for a good amount of years but not worth the money to keep fixing.

Does not recommend this car!!

Great Sports Vehicle

by BabyDriver from San Diego CA on Mon Aug 20 2018

The Jeep was an excellent car for exploring, going off-road in the desert, and heading through rough gravel and rocky terrain. It handles well in snow and ice, and was a reliable vehicle that carried all our sports gear from ocean to ski hill with room to spare.

Good Ride

by nash from Prescott AZ on Thu Oct 06 2011

Purchased my Jeep Grand Cherokee limited in 2000. I now have 215,000 miles on it. I use it for hunting and trail driving, as well as a daily driver. I have had next to zero problems with this rig, all I have done is taken care of basic maintenance items. It is very capable off road and in the snow, although I don't jump gorges or climb rocks bigger than the jeep. It has always gotten me where I want to go and I go to some rugged spots. Can't say enough good things about this Jeep.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Cruising down the highway best reveals what is so good about Jeep's Grand Cherokee. It may be as rugged as a truck, but it has the soul of a car.

With dirty mountain bikes stowed in back, a friend and I were engaged in animated conversation as I drove, and I found myself constantly exceeding the speed limit unless I used the cruise control because this big Jeep rides with the smoothness of a family sedan.

Even though it is capable of four-wheeling, as I experienced on an indoor off-road course at the Michigan State Fairgrounds during the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, the Grand Cherokee is an outstanding blend of car comfort and sport-utility toughness. It is built... Read More