2003 Jeep Liberty

Reliable and good looking

by on August 24, 2017

This car meets pretty much all of the needs a modern SUV should. I haven't had a problem with it since I got it.

It's not too bad of a car

by from Savannah, Georgia on August 22, 2017

The Jeep liberty isn't too bad of a vehicle to own. I've had my 2003 jeep Liberty for about 7 years, and it's been mostly reliable. I say mostly because after about 170k miles it seems one thing goes bad, then everything else goes bad. Like a domino effect of some sort. It gets alright gas mileage, but it's kind of on the low end at 17/21. I typically fill up 2-3 times a week between driving to go to school and driving around for work. But after about 190k miles, I'd day expect to spend a good bit of money on new parts. Hopefully whomever buys the vehicle won't have many problems like I've had. The good parts is that it is a small SUV, so people fit comfortably in the front and back seats. I'm pretty small, at 4'11, but I've had friends as tall as 6'3 riding with no complaints. Also the Jeep has a very good turning radius, which makes u-turns pretty easy, and the handling of the car is decent. The only reason(s) I wouldn't recommend is because of the problems I've personally had with my Jeep.

Overall Good, Reliable SUV

by from Hannibal, MO on August 3, 2017

This is my 2nd Jeep Liberty. My 1st was a 2007, purchased new, but I lost it through a financial crisis. I liked it so much I had to have another one, once we recovered. Our 2003 Liberty is similar to the 2007, sans the heated seats & TPM system (which was a bit of a nuisance, anyway). Lots of room for just about everything. Very comfortable seating. Power all around. The 4X4 comes in very handy during the winter months, especially in a rural town with lots of hills. It doesn't surprise me much that I see many Jeep Liberty models, of the '02 thru '07 style series, in our area. They are easy to clean and are not easily damaged during normal use. Most Liberty vehicles are also 'Trail Rated' for the occasional off-road adventures one might pursue, making it great for vacationing! Storage is rarely a problem, given the ample space in the back and 1/3 - 2/3 fold-down center seats. A roof rack provides room for canoes, bicycles (w/optional mounting brackets), among other things. If you have a boat, camping or flatbed trailer, a hitch can easily be installed to accommodate those items. As the name implies, a Jeep Liberty will do just that - give you liberty. The key to keeping any car for a long time is, of course, maintenance. As with most cars, things happen over the years. When you balance the cost difference between buying new, or repairing the old, I'm inclined to think about how much I am willing to invest in a car I like, verses taking on another high-cost debt for another 5 years (not to mention the likely increase in insurance). Once you find a car you like, you learn a lot about it. Things wear out and need to be replaced, but, once repaired/replaced, those things add time & value to your car's life. Our 2003 Jeep Liberty has almost 170K miles. It still looks nice, runs well, and is reliable. These are the things that make owning any car pleasurable.

My Very First Car

by from Wichita, KS on July 27, 2017

This car was great when I was in high school and transitioning into college. Didn't have the best gas mileage, but it worked well enough!

Uses car for Havingfun

Currently Smoking from the headers it seems

by on July 26, 2017

Externally and internally its a great value but you may need to do some work on the engine. With the smoke from under the hood id suggest getting a repair quote before purchase.
Not Rated Reliability

great 4wd

by from Colorado Springs CO on April 15, 2017

good car, good dependability. Enjoyed driving it, worked very well in snow or any other unstable terrain.

Would not suggest to go to Jefferyauto

by from pekin on March 11, 2017

I would highly suggest you look at a different place for a car / truck If you feel like buying a car / truck and what to travel many miles back and forth to get your transport fixes by all means buy at the above place Jefferyauto

Bang for the buck

by from on February 26, 2017

I love my Liberty! I'm going to miss it dearly! Apparently the 03 Jeep Liberty has engine issues around 160k to 180k miles. It loses oil pressure and just quits. Unfortunately, mine has a little over 180k miles and it doesn't blue book high enough for me to drop in another engine. The rest of the vehicle is in excellent shape and I have maintained it well. It has given me great bang for my buck, but it's time to retire the Liberty.

OK...COST SOME $$$ TO FIX, BUT...

by from mount sinai on March 22, 2015

I last wrote a review here 5 years ago on the same car...back then I had no problems at 125,000 miles..since then I put in a water pump, new belts, radiator, alternator, battery, and cylinder head gaskets...that was the cost of enjoying the car since 2003...let's see, about $1200 in repairs, and she's driving like a new car again. That was the worse of it...$1200 over 12 years....plus any other small repairs like two sets of brakes, three sets of tires, and other little stuff...in all, I probably averaged $110-120 a year average for repairs...NOT BAD AT ALL! LOVE MY JEEP!!! Some people may complain about repairs, but JEEPS are CHEAP to repair...besides, if you take care of it and respect it, it'll return the favor.

Jeep Love Rock On

by from on October 16, 2014

Had my jeep for 8 years until it saved my life from a drunk driver. she hit a light pole and rolled 3 times on me. My husband and I walked away without a scratch. Best purchase i ever bought. wish i could have her back.

Our Expert Review: 2003 Jeep Liberty