1998 Town Car

1998 Lincoln Town Car

$551 - $9,135  MSRP Range

Have you driven the 1998 Lincoln Town Car?

Only owner

by Lincoln Lover from Douglasville, GA on Tue Jul 05 2016

We purchased our Lincoln Town Car Signature model in 1998. My wife was the daily driver and I took the wheel on trips. We have owned our Lincoln for eighteen years and really love it. It has a great ride, it is comfortable and beautiful to look at. Recently I was thinking about getting another Lincoln so I took it to my mechanic for an evaluation and he said that it was in great shape and that I should keep it. We are presently going through it to take care of some small problems and I am really thinking about having it repainted to better than factory specs. Our Lincoln only has 126,000 miles on it and it's should be good for another 175,000 before any critical work. The best darn car I ever owned.

Gypsy Limo

by Paul from Tulsa, Oklahoma on Fri Jan 30 2015

I have owned 3 Town cars in a row. I just put over 2,000 miles on a road trip to Chicago, over Christmas. I worked for Ford and Dodge dealerships and have driven pretty much anything out there under $80,000.00. The Lincoln Town Car is hard to beat. and the older models still run like a top.

Awsome

by jahnjason from Fort Wayne, IN on Sat Feb 24 2018

This was such a great buy for something that is 20 years old. Very good condition and just a super car. The dealer Gagnon Motors was great and very friendly. I would go back there again. This is just a great car, I am so happy that I bought it.

great driving and comfort

by carguy5135 from colorado on Sat Jan 19 2013

great driving,comfortable cars,gas mileage on highway really amazing 28mpg,around ttown 18,but this dea;ler is a thief

THE CAR TO GET

by MIKE from 32159 on Sat Mar 31 2012

JUST A WONDERFUL AUTOMOBILE, LOVE THE TRUNK SPACE, JUST BIG ENOUGH FOR MOTHER-IN-LAW TO FIT TOO... THE HOT ROD LINCOLN

Reliable transporation

by Great deal from on Thu Aug 02 2012

Runs great. Good a/c. Well maintained by a car guy. Paint and interior in good ++ condition. Currently needs a car wash.

Most comfortable car I've ever owned.

by Dan from Oklahoma on Mon Sep 12 2011

This car is a fantastic ride with truly unbeatable comfort. More leg room front and back than any vehicle I have ever owned. I average 25mpg city/hiway and can get 30 on the hiway. Am sorry to see the full size luxury cars go. 303,000 miles and still a great reliable auto. Way to go Lincoln!

Unbeatable comfort, boat-like handling

by Dad o Two from California on Fri Sep 28 2007

I've had a used 1998 Towncar for a couple years. Ride doesn't get any better than this. Seats are incredible to sit in and actually relaxing after a day at work. Extremely quiet ride, too. Floats like a boat on turns in the city, to the extent that our kids get carsick from all the pitching and rolling. On the highway, this car is a dream when it comes to the ride. Drive all day and still feel good when you get to your destination. If I set the gauges to show real time MPG, I can average 27 MPG on long highway trips... they did a great job of gearing this car for highway cruising (only about 18 MPG around town, though). Another reviewer described the engine & tranny as "bulletproof" and I would agree based on my and my family & friends' experiences with these cars. I've got nickel & dime things that go wrong, and yes, repairs can add up for non-essential systems (at the end of the day, it's just a fancy Ford). I happen to like the tasteful classy style of this car much better than the slab look of the Caddies from this time. My biggest design gripes are (1) the lack of cupholders (only 2 in the front) & other nooks & crannies for change, cell phone, sunglasses, etc., (2) cups in cupholders block access to climate controls & display and (3) the trunk is huge and deep, but you can throw your back out trying to lift out a suitcase. Would've been better to have the trunk lid go lower so that items can be slid into rather than dropped down into the trunk. I would not recommend this as a family car or daily putt-putt in traffic. But if you're in the season of life where you don't need to worry about kids scuffing up the leather anymore and you get to cruise to weekend getaways rather than commute to work, then a Towncar is a good bet.

My 6th Towncar

by towncarman from Timonium, MD on Mon May 23 2011

This is my 6th and NOT my last Towncar, they ust keep getting better. The improvements that Lincoln made in the 98 are awesome. The Watts linkage rear suspention made a huge improvement in handling and control. The twin caliper front dck brakes offe muc improved braking. Easy to drve, comfortable and lush! Mine is the Cartier edition and the JBL sound system is much improved as well. If this is your type of car and you find a nice one, BUY IT!

Overall reliable with a lot of minor repairs

by 1998Blacktouring from nj on Sun Apr 29 2007

My town car currently has 220,000 miles on it. Over the past few years of ownership it has never broken down, however I have made numerous little repairs(i.e. window motors, wiper motors, window regulators) the only serious problems I have had is with the intake manifold cracking(factory defect), and a spark plug blowing out of the engine(the car still drove even after this, a $20 kit fixed the repair). The car is terrible on gas in the city but during highway driving I get around 24 mpg. Handling is terrible, this car is a straightline cruiser. Acceleration is surprisingly decent(lots of torque) even though it is heavy and has a slightly underpowered engine(only 220 hp and thats only with the touring package, otherwise only 205). I would recommend this car if it weren't for almost monthly minor problems that ending up costing alot. However, the engine and transmission are bulletproof and will last a long time.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2

Our Take on the 1998 Lincoln Town Car

It was late when I climbed aboard the Lincoln Town Car, tired and gloomily anticipating a 130-mile solo drive back to Phoenix.

I stretched out in the leather seat, cued up a CD and wheeled the massive white cruiser out of the parking lot.

Now, I have to admit, I'm not a fan of these big luxo-barges. They seem anachronistic, wasteful and somehow indecent.

But the new Town Car is a heckuva lot sleeker and drives a whole lot better than the previous generation. No longer is it so squared off, or burdened with a pretentious formal roof line or velvet boudoir interior.

And no longer does it drive like the Queen Mary. Though hardly what you'd call sporting, this "full-size luxury car" now rides on... Read More