2008 Mazda Mazda 5

Great family vehicle

by from Stittsville on August 14, 2017

Excellent small van, still has plenty of space and gets way better mileage than the large minivans. Engine has plenty of pickup, surprising for a 4-cylinder in a vehicle of this size.

Uses car for Transportingfamily

Most piece of junk I have ever owned!

by from Buffalo,ny on May 1, 2017

I hate this car I don't recommend this piece of junk to anyone!!! Please don't buy this, your going to have problems with it right after your warranty and cost you extensive amounts repairs.

Great family car!

by from Quebec, Canada on January 26, 2014

Bought the Mazda5 in May 2008 brand new. Basic model. Had a recall soon after for the power steering, got fixed and since then never had a problem with the car. Changed the front brakes at 80 000Km and rear at 100 000km. NEVER had any other repairs or issues.No problems with suspension yet. Maintenance was made at the dealers for 5 years and after that a local garage. Read previous reviews, true that it is not that great in deep snow.So I got studded winter tires and that did it. Mazda has been known for its rust issues. My mazda5 has rusty "halos"starting on the metal bars that go through the passenger windows (at 100000km I noticed them). If I wanted I could have them changed for esthetics for 80$ each plus garage time. True the 3rd row is tight, not great for a long trip(I have tried it, sitting there for 2 hours), but does the job for everyday life. We only use the 3rd row occassionnaly (kid's friends or visit). It has now reached the 130 000km and still does the job! For the price and fuel economy compared to similar cars, I think it is a great value!

Great Family Car

by from Milwaukee, WI on November 21, 2013

I've got three kiddos. I dodn't want - and couldn't afford - a huge minivan. This is a perfect mini-minivan. It seats 6, so I've got room for the fam and their stuff. It gets a little uncomfortable when the kids have a lot of things to lug around, but most times, it's the perfect size for us. We took a roadtrip from Milwaukee to Upper Michigan and I was floored with how well-behaved the kids were. They all had enough breathing room. We had a great trip. I drive a 5-seater Ford Escape from Milwaukee to Madison and wanted to drive that car off a cliff - the kids wouldn't stop bugging each other. The Mazda5 is a game-changer for driving around kids.

Enjoying my recent purchase

by from Harwinton, CT on August 28, 2013

I've only had the car a few weeks, but it has had a work-out in that time! I have put a quick 1,500 miles on it, taking trips with my children to visit family. It has proved to be very comfortable. My kids (ages 10 & 12) say its the most comfortable car they've ever riden in! And getting 28 miles to the gallon was a great bonus! I love the fact that it has room for 7 people, so I can do carpools for the kids' activities, and then I can put the back seats down and have as much trunk space as I did in the Volvo Cross Country I just got rid of! We are currently packing it up for a 4 day camping trip. It's got the space and versatility we needed, without being a huge gas guzzler.

economy car, not

by from Chicago on June 28, 2013

We owned Mazda5 for 4.5 yrs made 75K, Comfort -not so much very small seats for a big guy, third row seats only for small kids not for an adult, but when folded great cargo space. performance- car is too heavy for a 2.3L engine, and if you step on the pedal, gas economy holds around 20mpg, great exterior and interior design, we had grand touring fully equipped navigation, entertainment system for kids etc. reliability- had to replace suspension twice, transmission very rough, when driving uphill you can expect some difficulty. Very expensive tires and not much to choose from, tpms pain in the the behind every year had to replace them because corrosion from the winter time, had to align front every year lots of knocking, at 25K transmission started to be very rough on 3rd and 4th gear this is known problem to mazda but they do not care they will leave you with the cost,at 35k pressure switch on transmission failed, not covered by warranty, had to replace trans fluid 4 times, last 25K cost exceeded $3000 in maintenance that is more than my 2000 old intrigue ever,

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Mazda5

by from Newark,NY on December 12, 2012

I have had my Mazda5 for about 2 months now and I love it! I am consistantly getting about 27 MPG. I think it looks sharp(tinted windows really make it look sharp). It is very powerful for a 4cyl. and handles like a sports car. It is very comfortable and versatile inside. Have not driven it in a lot of snow yet but I think with the standard wide low profile tires that I am going to have to get at least some front snow tires. Overall I am very happy with my Mazda....Zoom, Zoom!!

Unique, but weak, eeek

by from Denver, CO on December 18, 2011

First the positives: Though two will be seated uncomfortably, it does seat 6. With the back seats dropped, the cargo area is huge. I put the Mazda roof rack on and fit it with bike and ski racks, so it keeps pace with an outdoors lifestyle. Handling is great and it turns tight for the size which is great in the city. Now the negatives: Super weak suspension. I'm replacing shocks and struts every 35,000 miles. The transmission cooling is also a sore point and you'll find it shifts rough on long climbs or on hot days. The low profile tires ride rough, are more difficult to find and fewer options for snowtires. It lacks traction control, too, so winter driving is sketchy. This car has already cost me more in total maintenance than the last 3 cars combined that I've owned, so it's not really an economy car. Finally, the fuel economy is lacking. I've learned to hold it under 2500 RPM and then I can get better than 28 MPG. Rev'ing more than that results in fuel economy down in the low 20's.

sporty but roomy

by from ashland ky on May 1, 2011

I really like this Mazda. It is comfortable and it loos good. It is 4 CYLINDER but it has good pick up. I was worrid when I went from a 6 cyl but it is just as good. The only issue that really isn't an issue at all is the road noise. It does tend to be a little load especially if you sit in the very back.

High Strung Micro Van

by from MA on November 17, 2010

Good car, great handling, very tight. Interesting setup. Good quality, however it is made of mostly plastic (interior). No automatic headlights on our model. Storage in every nook and cranny.

Our Expert Review: 2008 Mazda Mazda 5