1989 Mercedes Benz Sl Class

Styling that doesn't go out of date

by from Camas, WA on August 16, 2006

This is my 3rd Mercedes and the 4th one i have worked on, starting with my mother's 1952 300 in the 60's. All Benz's have a very solid feel, albeit not the handling of a BMW. This one is the best so far. All my neighbors that have much newer cars are jealous!! Looked at a newer 500SL but they are so much bigger inside they don't feel like a sports car anymore. Very intelligently designed; made to be serviced unlike my wife's Lexus. some things appear to be difficult to repair/adjust, until you remember that MB's are designed like a puzzle. once you figure out how they come apart and go back together you would wonder why anybody would want to work on a Japanese or American car. Seat is so comfortable you can drive it for hours. Loads of head/leg/hip room unlike most cars. Gauges are simple, intelligent, non-digital, laid out so that everything is instantly visible (temp, oil, etc.) NO TILT/Telescoping wheel though. Seems odd in such an expensive car. The car is reasonably quiet; the engine has that special sound that only comes from a V-8 with ohd camshafts. Wish the transmission took off in 1st instead of 2nd by default. Main faults: top is very hard to remove (hardtop) without 2 people or a lift; softtop is relatively hard to raise and lower, compared to Amer. conv. or even BMW with manual top is much easier to fasten. Parts are expensive (I do my own work) like a distributor cap is $150, most smog sensors run $200+, but it's still cheaper for me to drive than for a car that parts are cheaper but the labor is harder (eg. my wife's car) Unlike similiar cars, this one is far more reliable. The older ones are far less trouble prone than the newer ones in the mid 90's. Everything is overbuilt; you can tell from just a short test ride how solid the car is. My wife has Arthritis and I thought she would never be able to drive/ride in a sports car. My BMW 325 was out of the question for her; she has very little trouble getting in and out of the MB and thinks it is very comfortable, other than the design of the seat belts (very difficult to find unless u pull them out before getting in) If you don't care about gas mileage and want the best, this is the car! Easy to find a low mileage used one if you look around, but don't buy a dog! too expensive to restore and find parts for..

N/A

by from Fl on August 2, 2010

I owned a identical car and was very impressed with everything except the gas mileage.This rare color is fast becoming a classic.