2008 Mariner Hybrid

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid

Have you driven the 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid?

Glad I have it, but some quibbles

by New Hybrid Owner from Rochester, NY on Thu May 17 2007

I'm pleased that I bought the Mariner Hybrid - the mileage is wonderful and "utility" of the SUV is great, but there are some things I wish were different. First - no traction or stability control. Toyota manages to include these in their hybrids - so should Ford. Second, the seats are just not very comfortable. I'm of average height, but the seat cushions are not long enough - I feel like I'm perched on a padded stool. Third, the soundproofing is better than previous models, but it is inadequate. Road noise at highway speeds is louder than it should be. Fourth, the "audiophile" sound system sounds great a slow speeds, but does not compensate for road noise. Fifth, I wish that it had Xenon or at least better headlights. Last, there is a lot of fancy chromed plastic in the cabin, which should have had a satin finish - it's blinding when the sunlight hits it! All of this being said, I'd buy the car again - nobody else makes an SUV Hybrid, let alone one with these features. It is a decent, if unexciting, drive, and the gas mileage is great.

Better than Advertised!

by X-Honda owner from Connecticut on Wed May 28 2008

I am a previous Honda owner- traded in my 2006 Rdigeline pick-up (15mpg) I have owned my AWD for 4 weeks now. Never got below 29.9 mpg, got up to as much as 32.1 mpg...yes on the AWD. Average MPG is 30.1 after 6 fill ups. Very comfotable, nimble, it's a hit. Excellent Vehicle! The only oversight on Ford's part: Could use a bigger glove box and more storage.

Outstanding value and mileage

by Scubby from Portland, OR on Wed Mar 26 2008

I have had this car for almost a year and have 13K miles on it. No matter how I drive it, I average 30 mpg's...city, highway, mixed. This SUV offers the best value, mpg, and features for your money. While not a "luxury" SUV, it is very well equipped and nicely appointed. Anyone considering a small-midsize wagon or SUV should look at this one...Perhaps the only drawback is it's inability to tow...

Nice car for the price

by No more minivans from Burlington, Vt on Mon Dec 31 2007

I really wanted to do my part and purchase a hybrid. After extensive research I settled on the 2008 Mariner. I have been very pleased. It's a fun car, nice size, very comfortable. The gas mileage can really differ depending on the type of driving you do. It really gets high twenties almost 30 in the city. On back country Vermont roads however, I can average in the forties sometimes fifties. Mileage in the winter is not as good, low 20's, as the gas engine kicks in more frequently in temperatures below 30 degrees. It has had a few quirks, doors that lock themselves when they are not supposed to, a sticky rear lift gate, etc. But nothing serious. I love the interior design except the placement of the windshield wiper controls which are awkward. People stop me and ask about the car a lot. I tell them I love it and to check one out.

As reliable as it gets

by Russrdh from Ogden, Utah and Boulder City, Nevada on Fri Nov 07 2014

Bought this car in 2008. Have driven it 120,000 miles. Replaced the rear end at 80,000. $1,600. It was an electrical problem. Other than that no problems with anything else. Have driven it 30.000 miles this year so far in commutes to work in Las Vegas from Ogden Utah. Averages 28-29 mpg on I-15 at 80-85 mph using cruise control. No oil use or leaks. Bit noisy and hard seats. AWD keeps it on the road in winter using Michelin Artic studless snow tires. Good utility, space, amenities including DVD player. Last car you'll every buy if you can find a low mileage used one.

Excellent SUV

by Elecric car fan from SW Ohio on Thu Jun 11 2015

June, 2015. Vehicle has 89,453 miles. The car has original brakes. Very good SUV. I just drove 245 miles today and average 35.1 MPG at 62 MPH. Push this hybrid to higher speeds and the MPG suffers. I rather save gas. Rust on fenders, single tone horn upgraded, ABS sensors on front wheels replaced, EV battery coolant pump replaced which Ford paid for. Otherwise, very happy with the vehicle. Interior in excellent shape. I cannot see replacing this SUV any time soon.

We love the car but the GPS does not work

by Neetsie from Boulder, CO on Wed Dec 26 2007

Evidently no one has checked this or uses their GPS. The voice is unintelligible and sounds like Oscar in the garbage car when it names streets. The dealership has not been able to repair it after 3 tries. At first, Ford basically acted as if we were crazy, and told us we could try to get a second opinion, but the service manager checked his Lincoln and found out it has the same problem. We were not pleased with the response from Ford. We're still waiting to hear from the dealership. The business is a service business and we are in the field most days and wanted a working GPS to assist with service calls, especially to new addresses.

Good Value

by James from Florida on Mon Oct 22 2007

This is a good small Hybrid for the money. Fuel economy could be a wee bit better given what the Mariner costs. I think these new Hybrids are the first, within 7 years all cars will have to be Hybrids

Lots of driver space. Comfortable car

by dgmeachum on Wed Feb 28 2018

I am 6'1 and while I am not a big guy I feel cramped In most cars . The mariner gives me the most space I have ever had in the driver seat. I still feel relaxed after a long drive. It has a stylish look and the hybrid is great on gas and still provides space and convenience for family.

Economical SUV

by Hybrid Enthusiast from Charlotte NC on Mon Feb 26 2018

While test driving on the highway my husband got up to 75 mph without any noise or rattling through the cabin. We previously owned a small hybrid and had noise issues while getting up to speed. The maronerbis a very smooth ride and we are going back to purchase it tomorrow.