2003 Mercury Sable

Good Value, but not perfect

by from Bismarck, ND on March 24, 2017

I bought the vehicle from my dad at around 130,000 miles, who had bought it from my grandpa at around 70,000 miles. It is now at close to 145,000 miles. It takes a fair amount of upkeep, as the transmission gave out at 65,000 miles and the shocks all needed to be replaced. Just recently the brake system needed to be replaced. It doesn't have great gas mileage, but overall it is a good car. Sturdy, reliable (though it regularly, slowly eats up parts), and decently sized, not too big or too small. Not much to look at, but good for commuting.

Great Car!

by from Minnesota on June 17, 2014

I purchased a 2003 sable with 150,000 miles on it, and it is still in fantastic condition! There's some rust, but that is typical for a MN car. I've had no problems with this car and I'm very happy with it!

Died after 100,000 miles.

by from Los Angeles, CA on December 28, 2013

Like every other American car I've owned, this one's transmission went out at 100,000 miles. Prior to that, it was noticeably a bit sloppy, which is a common complaint with these cars. I bought the car in 2010 and had it for under two years. The engine ran very strong. I had the LS Premium with the DOHC. It felt like it provided a lot more than 200 horses. I had no problems with the engine, other than some minor stuff--a leaky oil pan, for instance. Another thing--this car feels a lot bigger and heavier than it appears. The doors feel like they're 200 pounds when you open them. It's kind of a tank. I had the premium stereo and the multi-disc player. It was okay, but nothing special. A couple of the lights went out on the stereo and I would have had to replace the whole thing to fix them. Too much bass caused the speakers noticeable grief. Good for 2003, I guess. I also liked the adjustable pedals--pretty cool. There's a switch next to the seat that raises or lowers the gas and brake pedal. The seats are very comfy and the interior is roomy. It's great on the freeway and not bad-looking, but if you run into a major problem, it's not worth the cost of repair, so I can't recommend it. I ended up selling mine with a busted transmission for $500 or so to a mechanic. All things considered, you might as well buy an old Jaguar.

Reliability Extraordinaire!

by from Raleigh, NC on January 24, 2013

Bought this Sable LS Premium in Spring of 2006 with 32,000 miles from a national used car chain CM. I now have 157,000 miles on it and have done nothing but maintenance. I have run Amsoil & Mobil1 oil in it since I got it and changed the oil every 6,000-9,000 miles This car has amazed me for it's value & reliability. It has plenty of get-up-and-go, has solid, stable handling, a reasonably quiet ride, is quite comfortable & roomy, has a big trunk and a nice complement of features. On the highway I get 25mpg and 21mpg combined even though I usually drive like i'm going to a fire ;-) I have kept good tires on it and gotten 65,000 from each set (65 from the orig OEM Continental Contacts, 65 from the Yokohoma Avid TZR and have almost 30 on this set of Toyo Versado LX and they still have lots of tread left). This Sable (and its counterpart, the Taurus) would make a great 1st car for a teen or as a daily driver for anyone. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Overall best car I've ever owned

by from Cleveland, OH on February 23, 2011

The 2003 Mercury Sable LS Premium Wagon offers a blend of practicality, reliability and comfort that is extraordinary. For a family, the car seats 8, more than most minivans and does it with style and capability. The LS wagon has great features including, leather, ABS brakes, traction control, 16-inch wheels, driver, passenger, side air bags, premium sound and many have a power moonroof. The car is also very reliable, it runs well in any weather.

the worst vehicle I have ever driven

by from queens ny on September 11, 2010

this car was and still is a lemon to say the least. the ac,turn signal,locks and engine were no good.

2003 Mercury Sable

by from West Chester, PA on April 22, 2010

I own and drive daily, a 2003 Mercury Sable LS with 185,000 miles on it. It looks and feels like a brand new car. I have never owned a car that held up as well as this car has.

Real good car

by from Ft. Worth, TX on January 23, 2010

Bought Sept. 08 very reliable. Only fault is the roof line could be 2 inches higher to make it easier to get into. Most newer cars have the same problem. Drove 86 Cad DeVille fo 12 years before this car.

I just bought it!!!

by from Baton Rouge, la on August 23, 2009

It is very nice!!! Woodgrain and leather, the sound system is nice!!! It drives well also!! I feel I made a great choice!!

1 of the nicer vehicles out there

by from Pittsburgh, PA on May 26, 2009

I dunno, I dig the styling of this car. Very complete design, a beauty in black and a rear spoiler. Lovely wheels. Nice quality and full of options, roomy trunk, great visibility, quiet efficient engine. What more could you want really? (One thing, at this point all the cars should have CD/mp3/ipod capable audio systems standard!)