2008 Cooper S Clubman

2008 MINI Cooper S Clubman

2008 MINI Cooper S Clubman

3.6

4 out of 5 stars Comfort

Have You Driven the 2008 MINI Cooper S Clubman?

Great car with great gas milage

by Mini mac from Chicago, IL on Wed May 07 2008

The Clubman S is what Mini needed. It is functional enough now to put golf clubs in the back, go to grocery store, or fit 4 people in the comfortably. As a commuter car...one word, fun. It has the performance when needed, and am getting 33 mpg with about 70/30 mix highway to city. BMW quality is throughout and one of the most pleasant cars to own and admire.

The most STREET LEGAL fun you can have!

by Mini Motorist from Independence, MO on Fri Jan 04 2013

We have owned this car for about a year and it just gets better. We bought it pre-owned from a Mini dealer and can't find much that we don't love about it overall. It can be a bit difficult to get in and out of, since it's so log to the ground, but that is the worst I can say about it. The turbo is "blow your hair back" fun, the keyless access (no key needed to start it) is awesome, I love the panoramic sunroof, and the rear barn style doors are so convenient. We get great gas mileage, even when driving a little more, ah... agressively... than might be normal.

Fun & Economical

by Matt M. from Lancaster, PA on Wed Jul 03 2013

This is my first Mini Cooper and I'm in love. I bought this as our families 3rd car and one I use to commute for my sales position at work. It is a great fit for what I needed. I can buzz the kids to soccer or I can drive to upstate NY for business. This car handles like nothing I've ever driven before. The turbo charged engine picks up faster than my V6 3.5L Nissan Maxima. Fuel efficiency is better than I imagined. I do about 50/50 city and highway driving and am averaging 31 mpg, and I've been driving kind of "aggressively". I'm impressed with the space in the back seat as well. Much more legroom than the standard 2 door model. Also the fact that you can fold down the back seats is a great addition. I can fit golf clubs, 2 snowboards, groceries etc all in the back. So, to sum up, stop thinking about it and just buy a Mini.

It is no Toyota or Honda, but it has Character!

by Stchuck on BMW/MINI from Babylon, NY on Sat Mar 10 2018

I love my 2008 S Clubman. I bought it with 50K on it and brought it straight to a MINI dealer and told them I was aware of the Timing Chain "quiet recall." Meaning they were screwing people who didn't know. That changed a little later. I got the car very cheap from a used car dealer who must have freaked when he heard the death rattle. But now 50K later I still love driving the car every day. The gas mileage is great, the items like thermostat housing, valve cover leakage (or cracking) various modules and the such are exactly the same rate of repair of my 2006 3-series BMW. They are a blast to drive, and need more upkeep. I have the upgraded Bilstein suspension and every option but leather interior and car, while not super fast, is probably the best highway hauler I have driven. 90+ all day and still 30mpg with the 6spd stick.

Great Fun Car and Daily Driver

by OldSchoolDriver from Bradenton, FL on Thu Jun 14 2018

This is a great car that calls to the unique driver. Its performance far exceeds expectations. It is a BMW car and therefore the cost of maintenance is high so value isn't what it could be. I especially enjoy it in between the high cost of maintenance problems, some of which are overlooked design problems left in the car by BMW, such as the infamous timing chain problems. I have in the past loved BMW cars but this has made me re-access ever buying another BMW product, either another MINI or upgraded to a BMW line. While I enjoy this car I won't be buying another MINI especially since the car gets larger and further away from being the hot little car it once was.

Does not recommend this car!!

the best and the worst of my Mini.

by OregonMini from Portland, Oregon on Thu Oct 23 2008

With a 2 years old son and a pregnant wife I needed more space. I upgraded from a Convertible Mini to a Mini Clubman. I love it!!! It runs great in the hwy and in the City. Cheap maintance. You only chance the oil every 15,000 miles and the dealer would do it for free once a year up to 5 years. Tires are flat run but I rather the old school tire so at least they could be fix. Upgrades could cost you and eye and a ear but if you install your self the easy upgrades you would save big bucks!

Total Disaster

by Disappointed Mini owner from DC on Mon Mar 28 2011

I bought this car from a private party when it was only 12 months old with 12K miles. The car's first problem was a fuel pump failure, which left me stranded late at night. Then there was the timing chain/tensioner. It was downhill from there. The check engine light was a chronic problem (it recurred 10 times in a year and a half). Each time I brought it in, they'd spend days/weeks on it and then promise that the issue was resolved. Then, inevitably, the CEL would come on again, forcing me to go back. In all, after 16 months, the car had been in the shop for 65 days. One point mentioned by the service tech at the dealer was that the Peugeot engine is not designed to run on ethanol. This is obviously a problem, given that there is some ethanol in even "approved" Mini/BMW gasoline brands. The other point made was that my driving environment -- the city -- is not good for the Clubman's turbo. I was told that the car really needs to be driven on the highway. Since I live in the city (DC), this was a significant problem. All in all, this was a miserable experience. SO, I traded the car in for a BMW, taking a 10K loss. Very happy now with the Bimmer.

Does not recommend this car!!

Great little car - terrible tires!

by Jules from Gulf Shores, Al on Fri Apr 18 2008

Tires are expensive and they don't last. I have had my Mini Cooper S for two years and have numerous issues with the tires and alignment. Fun to drive and great gas mileage. Just know that you will spend a lot on tires.

Most problematic care I've owned.

by Bummed from Lewistown, PA on Wed Jan 10 2018

At first I loved this vehicle till I discovered how much upkeep it took with always having to check the oil every 750 miles and such. Honestly it should come with a holder in the car for extra oil! I constantly was having to take it to the shop for repairs of one kind or another. Totally bummed!!! I'm going to have to trade it in, it's costing me too much!!!!!!!