Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2012 Outlander Sport

2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport

2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport

4.3

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport?

Something to think about?

by First CUV from Brownsburg, IN on Sun Jul 29 2012

I've had 4 other Mitsubishi autos and I've never had a problem with one of them... I now own an Outlander Sport ES. I've waited 5 months to write this review so that what I say here will not be just enthusiasm that I just purchased a new car. So far the CUV has not let me down once for a lot of reasons... 1.16 inch tires will be, in the future less expensive to replace. 2. I personally feel the basic package for the CUV is a very intelligent way to look at things, less technical devices, less possible issues in the future. 3. The CVT transmission is very smooth and advanced making the MPG's obtainable 4. The 2.0 engine has more power than what has be written about by the reviews? They?ve said in a situation, when you need to pass a vehicle, it will not provide enough power to pass a car? I have driven the CUV on the interstate, also on the side roads and it exceeds the expectations of the reviews? 5. Space needed in the CUV? I have, with the seats down, put 20 full size bags of mulch in the back, if needed, I could have put more. Favorite Features: Power when needed. Space in the rear of the CUV, Handling, less technical devices, less to possible repairs in the future. Easily accessible controls. Important instruments that help you save gas. Five people can sit in the CUV. Column mounted sportronic paddle shifters. Oh I love the USB port, I have an 8 gig flash drive full of music, and I?ll never have to play a radio station again! I guess what I?m trying to say, there may be other CUV?s out there, but why go overboard and purchase a CUV that has, what I think, too much to offer. Mitsubishi has taken the consumer into account and developed a CUV for the average family that needs a CUV that doesn?t need too much CUV, and wants to save money multiple ways. That being said I tests drove almost all the CUV?s in the market and found the Outlander sport, just what I needed? I?m glad I didn?t pay attention to the reviews offered by the Auto websites, if I did, I would have never bought this CUV that has given me and my family so much joy.

Excellent New Car

by Outlander Sport Owner from USA on Tue Dec 27 2011

Recently purchased a 2012 Outlander Sport. The 2012 is the second model year and includes some improvements in acceleration and sound insulation. I test drove and compared a variety of vehicles. The Outlander Sport rides very well (better than some more expensive vehicles). Handling, steering, and turning radius is excellent. No complaints about acceleration with the automatic. Interior is quiet, comfortable, and uncluttered. Quality of materials is good and appears comparable to similar vehicles. The vehicle includes lots of standard features (even if you don't buy various option packages). Lots of techie items (usb port, handsfree, BT, etc); plenty of safety features. The styling is great. The Outlander Sport looks sportier and has less of a generic oval shape than other small cars and SUV's. Considering the styling, ride quality, price, warranty, fuel economy, etc, it's a great car.

Nice economy car

by Sport from Dallas, TX on Wed Oct 31 2012

Nice economy car that gets decent gas mileage on regular gas. I like sitting up higher than in my Diamante, which is an excellent car. Handles surprisingly well. Brakes well. Excellent headlights. Leather seats are comfortable and attractive. I like the keyless entry and bluetooth. Wish it had an operable sun roof and heated seats. Performance and gas mileage has improved as it gets "broken in" - over 5,000 miles now. Runs better on real gasoline than on ethanol. Convenient cargo space in back with the seats folded down.

My first crossover

by James M from Centerburg, OHIO on Sun Apr 08 2012

PROS: Compared to another sedan, the price was good. I went with the Mitsubishi crossover because of the manual 5 speed, and the added features like Blue Tooth connection, phone buttons on the steering wheel, USB outlet for MP3, Power windows, mirrors, keyless entry. Most sedans were around the same price and didn't have the same safety and warranty. The "info" LED dash lets me know my average MPG as I'm driving, which helps me keep it around 31-34 MPG. CONS: Seems like it needs a 6th gear since highway driving has loud engine noise. Also, the volume controls on the steering wheel can get warm. It also seems like the windows do not block UV light very well, and the steering wheel and anywhere that is exposed to sunlight gets really warm. Overall it drives like a sedan, but I have to get used to a little less "viewing" room around me as I back up, etc.

I Own Two...

by Retired Alabama from Alabama on Mon Feb 04 2013

Did lots of research. Glad I did not listen to Negative Reviewers. I Own an Se and Es. Wonderful Cars delight to drive CVT, Paddle shifters, 4 Wheel abs, Disk brakes all around. Flat fold down Seats, USB, Bluetooth. CVT takes a little to get used to, you must give it gas, and not be shy. Gas mileage is Great avg 29 city 31 hwy. (I record and Check it) Roomy interior. Good acceleration, reasonable road and engine noise. The Paddle shifter is a blast, you can speed away from lights and traffic. And it looks neat lots of compliments. No mechanical issues at all...

Love my Outlander ES

by Buster from Washougal, Wa on Sat Oct 10 2015

I love my 2012 Outlander. The first time I saw one I didn't like the design. One year later I looked again and found it was the white one I did not like. I bought a black one. I owned a 2000 Montero for 10 years and was very pleased with the vehicle. I get lots of looks with my car. Most people ask what kind of car is it. I like that they are not super popular cars.. Performance is great. Love the paddle shifters. Comfortable for long trips. Telescoping steering wheel is amazing. Great gas mileage. Could have a little more leg room. I am 6' 1 but it works fine. Very reliable. Heated seats,bluetooth. Love, love the side headlights and the brightness of them. 45 degree angle make visibility amazing. Never have to use my high beams.

Very Cool Small SUV

by KiscoKid from Westchester ,NY on Thu Jul 26 2012

Recently Bought a new 2012 Outlander Sport 5 Speed ....Never owned a Mitsubishi ..but really surprised overall on the quality of this car. The steering has a great feel to it .... car is very quiet at idle and while driving on the highway ...Excellent gas mileage.... Main reason i bought the car was the exterior style ...very sharp looking ...looks alot more expensive than it actually is ... very nice smooth 5 speed shifter ..... plus handles very nicely for a small SUV .... lots of Standard Features for the price ....doors close with a nice solid "Thunk" sound ... Overall its a fun ride !

Best SUV Crossover on the Market

by Sue from Kansas City, KS on Thu Jul 26 2012

I shopped multiple brands and models before I decided on the 2012 Outlander Sport. I decided on the SUV Crossover because it is the best vehicle for my lifestyle. I love the Hands Free phone, the performance, and the music system. The glass top with mood lighting is a feature that once you have you will never do without.

Won't disappoint

by Storm Fjord from on Sun Apr 19 2015

This car I have had it for three years. Bout it new. It does not disappoint. I have the 5 MT, and I love it. I remember trying the AT and did not like it. The car is very smooth to drive and so comfortable. The back seats are great even though the cargo space is small. I always get compliment and I love the fuse system. Three years later and I'm still in love.

Pleased with first Mitsu

by Mitsu Convert from South Bloomfield Ohio on Thu Aug 30 2012

I did alot of research on cars before deciding on checking out the Outlander Sport. Was concerned about all the reviews of the small engines lack of power. Decided to purchase a 2012 Outlander Sport ES with 5 speed. More power is always better, but I am happy with the power output with the 5 speed. I did not drive a CVT equiped version, so not sure how that feels. Otherwise, very pleased with my Outlander Sport. Smooth 5 speed, great steering feel, looks great. More than enough power for my needs. This is my first Mitsu so cant comment on reliability yet. But so far very happy with my choice.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport

Editor's note: This review was written in December 2010 about the 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2012, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

It's very hard these days to find a flaw in a newly released car so significant it would prevent one of our editors from recommending the car to buyers. While a suspension may be too stiff for some of us, it won't turn off everyone. The ergonomics may be convoluted and confusing, but that won't stop a lot of shoppers, either.

The horrendous engine that bellows from behind the dashboard of the all-new Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, on the other hand... Read More