2012 Nissan Frontier

Smooth riding truck

by from Grand Forks, ND on September 13, 2017

I wanted a more compact truck that was also reliable for the weather in North Dakota. I found one. It's sturdy and has a liner in the box and a topper. I like to hit garage sales, so I wanted a truck, parting with my Subaru on a trade in. No regrets. I love the truck.

Uses car for Havingfun

Great all-round truck, great value

by from Meridian, ID on September 8, 2017

The Pro4X Crew Cab is ready to go anywhere, do anything you ask of it, anytime. Great versatility, capability and reliability; also a great value! No frills, but everything you really need. Tough, real truck guts!

4WD Glitches

by from Wenatchee, WA on August 19, 2017

OK except for fuel economy and 4WD glitches. I've always had problems coming in and out of 4WD, and recently when attempting to come out, the vehicle went into "neutral", even when the gearshift lever was in first gear. We were up in the middle of nowhere, and after numerous attempts, the vehicle finally slipped into 2WD. This is unacceptable, and I'm sure there's a defect in the electronic transferring system. Overall mileage is 18mpg.

Uses car for Offroading

New Nissan owner

by from Emmaus, Pa. on August 13, 2017

I had my last truck 14 yrs. This is the first none USA named vehicle. After 3 weeks I'm still getting used to the different vehicle, this is a little longer and wider. Overall I'm pretty happy with my choice. The ride and performance are better than I'm used to. Even my wife likes it. I gave 4 stars in the ratings. In time that may go up.

Great family truck

by from Olympia, WA on July 31, 2017

Excellent! Comfortable! Fits our needs very well! Love the color. It has some extras that we love such as the bed cover and the hitch.

Uses car for Havingfun

Done everything I've Asked

by from Boston, MA on July 11, 2017

This truck did everything I asked of it, including towing another car. Perfectly reliable, amazing sound system, I couldn't have asked for a better car for where I was in my life.

Wish I had bought the crew cab

by on July 6, 2017

Great running truck except the gas mileage is hard to stomach after driving a car for many years. Wish I had bought the crew cab. In the king cab there is no room for an adult in the jump seats and you can't open the back doors independently. Still a great truck.

Uses car for Towing

Best handling truck I have ever owned.

by from Conover,nc on May 31, 2017

One of the best riding trucks I have driven. All dash components are easily accessible and easy to understand. A very sporty and sharp looking vehicle.

Versatile, Reliable Performance-it just works!

by from Denver, CO & Boise, ID on May 7, 2017

This Pro-4X truck does it all: versatile hauling, towing, on- and off-road trips. Goes anywhere, anytime, any weather; gets the job done with no complaints. Sturdy, true truck-tough mechanical components and design. No-frills, durable but comfortable & safe interior. Even with off-road package, comfortable enough for road trips. Enough power, with reasonable fuel economy, considering diverse capabilities. Big & strong enough for true truck jobs, yet suitable for city driving and parking, with good all-round visibility and seating position. Has everything I need/want, nothing I don't want (to pay for). Reliable! 98K miles now, no weaknesses, problems, or, even, rattles (!) noted. Great value; love the Rockford Fosgate audio system. Dealer service has been excellent. Everyone loves the Metallic Blue, which Nissan got just right!

2012 Frontier SV 4x4

by from Mtwoc, WI on March 25, 2017

Always love reviews- so this is my take thus far. Bought mine brand new in 2012 @ $26,500 and can't believe their over $30K now. Initial impression was that it rode great, comfortable in the cab, very low interior noise, and of course had a lot of pick up with that 4.0L V6 under the hood. After leasing it, I was sold and bought it outright and Nissan has a lease buy-back program. Because I had very low miles I was buying outright a more expensive truck at a cheaper price ($18,500) at the end of a 3-year lease. I'm up to roughly 17,500 miles on it and still love'n it! Added some goodies over the years (bed cover, vent visors, wrangler seat covers, side step-rails) so the truck looks sharp on a daily basis. Here is, unfortunately my opinion on the down side. After reading reviews after reviews that most of the problems were not ones I had generated, but ones that Nissan just unfortunately never fixes. To begin, the passenger seat rattles/shakes down the road. Looks like its going to come off its supports. You shake it and its solid- bad design flaw I guess. Anyone experience the low idle exhaust rattle? I do, and especially in reverse at low speeds (2-5 mph when backing into a garage) that catalytic converter or flanges or somethings keeps rattling under the hood. Put it in park and "wha-la!" its gone. It's not bad at all in winter, just summer. This has been going on since the day I bought it, so I don't pay no real attention. Dealership said its nothing to be worried about. Here's the most notorious one- "THE SMALL OIL LEAK ISSUE!" Yes, it happens folks. Just another poor choice of gaskets from the manufacturer. Just take it to a dealership and it can be covered under warranty. What's happening is the gasket behind the oil cooler (where the oil filter attaches to) is defective (or too thin) as a replacement thicker style needs to be inserted. Careful folks, some can only be a small drip and some had out-right gushing of oil if left unattended. Last one is the factory mounted hitch that comes with the truck. Bought a receiver and it don't even fit into the opening of the hitch! I had to DA grind the receiver down until it finally slid into the hitch. Other than that, that's all I have as gripes. Some say the interior is bland! Those Frontiers are made to be working/playing/being outdoor trucks not trucks with SUV interiors and Cadillac exteriors and cost 2x what their worth, so quite honestly the plastic-looking interior makes it easy to clean with no hassle. Otherwise, the paint is holding up (because I have OCD's on keeping a clean vehicle, lol). Tires ride well, not wearing out quickly. Suspension could use a little improvement. Electrical is having no issues at this time. To wrap this up, I would buy anther one in the future, as long as they don't exceed $50K come time for one. IT's bad enough to see the Titan's creeping to that level. Happy trails folks- stay off the cell phones, use hand's free and drive straight :)

Our Expert Review: 2012 Nissan Frontier