2012 Nissan Titan Reviews
The Titan comes in four trim levels: S, SV, SL and the off-road-ready PRO-4X, which includes an electronic locking rear differential, 18-inch alloy wheels, BFGoodrich Rugged Trail tires, skid plates, Rancho shock absorbers and a 3.357:1 axle ratio. The Titan has seating for up to six people and competes with the Chevrolet Silverado, Dodge Ram and Ford F-150.
New for 2012
A new Sport Appearance Package is offered for SV trims and includes 20-inch dark-silver painted wheels, a darkened grille, body-colored bumpers, black step rails and special graphics, among other features.
Nissan offers the Titan in King Cab and crew-cab versions, each with long- and short-bed cargo boxes, which are identified as long- and short-wheelbase models. There is no regular cab.
The Titan's styling has always been rather safe, never breaking enough barriers to draw customers away from Detroit competitors. Also, the Titan's front end has the exact same styling cues as Nissan's Frontier truck and Armada SUV. Exterior features include:
- Lockable bedside storage behind left rear wheel well
- Available 20-inch alloy wheels
- Available Utili-track adjustable tie-down system
- Available factory spray-on bedliner
A bench seat is standard in S and SV models, with buckets seats standard on SL and PRO-4X Titans. The center console (on models with bucket seats) can hold beverages and has a 12-volt power outlet and a cargo bin that can be configured to hold hanging files. The PRO-4X gets unique seats, meters, and gauges, in addition to a red-stitched, leather-trimmed shift knob and steering wheel. The overall interior layout is functional, and it's been improved over the first version, which seemed to have more minivan cues than rugged truck personality. The luxury SL model offers plenty of wood trim, and there's an available 10-speaker, 350-watt Rockford Fosgate stereo. Interior features include:
- Fold-down front passenger seat (with bucket seats)
- Hands-free Bluetooth system
- Available rear-seat DVD entertainment system
- Spacious 126 cubic feet of interior room in crew cab
Under the Hood
Mechanical features include:
- 317-horsepower, 5.6-liter V-8 with dual overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder makes 385 pounds-feet of torque
- Available E85 capability
- Five-speed automatic transmission
Side curtain airbags and an electronic stability system are standard on all models, as is Nissan's Active Brake Limited Slip, which uses the truck's antilock braking system as a virtual limited-slip differential. Safety features include:
- Front-seat active head restraints
- Available rear parking sensors