2002 Nissan Xterra

Love this rig!!!

by from Pullman, WA on August 15, 2017

At first I really didn't care for Nissians but than I had a friend recommend an xterra. I took a used one out for a test drive and I was hooked. I have had it for a little over a month now and it's perfect. I've gotten several complements and people saying that it fits me however I think its just an overall great car.

Loved this car!

by from norristown PA on May 26, 2017

I loved this car! Stylish and comfortable! A lot of space. Gonna miss the beast! Just an overall awesome car!

Decent SUV to get me from point A to B

by from Siloam Springs, AR on May 15, 2017

I love my Xterra because its easy to handle on and off-road, sits high so road is easily visible, stadium seating (rear seats elevated so rear passengers can see over driver and front passenger heads), and the body is very durable heavy duty steel so it holds up well if something hits it. The only thing I dont like is the fuel economy is about 14-17mpg and the seats are narrow and not very comfortable as well as not much storage space in the front, but all in all its a decent SUV to get me from point A to point B. Wouldn't recommend taking on a road trip because I drove it from AR to CO two years ago and was extremely sore afterwards. Great for first time vehicle or work vehicle but better SUVs are out there.

reliable car and a great value for a family

by from arlington on May 11, 2017

a strong and reliable car . it does consume gas more than average . the interiors needs more work to make it more comfortable.

It was great until it wasn't.

by from IL on March 18, 2017

The starter went out around 170k followed by many other issues resulting in me donating it, but it was a great car beforehand.

Wouldn't Recommend Purchasing

by from on June 26, 2015

I purchased my 2002 Xterra in the fall of 2010. I've had it just less than 5 years. For the first 3 years, I had no problems. The brakes had to be changed and new tires but that is pretty standard when buying a used vehicle. Once the end of my third year owning it, everything started to go. I took great care of this vehicle right from the get-go... regular oil changes, tire rotation, undercoating etc. Regardless, my engine has cost me over $5000 in the last year and a half. I've had to replace all of my catalytic converters, o2 sensors, passenger side exhaust manifold, and now my head gasket is shot. I don't do any type of off-roading, strictly city driving. Rust around the wheel wells is a huge problem. Maybe I just got a dud but I would never recommend to anyone to buy an Xterra.

Decent SUV that Still Looks Cool

by from Santa Barbara, CA on February 27, 2015

We have owned our 5-speed manual 2002 Nissan XTerra XE since 2004 and have mostly good things to say about it. The engine is bullet-proof and will not die, though the interior could use some upgrading, as it shows lots of hard plastics. . Regular maintenance has kept our Xterra up to speed, but it is starting to show its age. Overall, a good vehicle, and would recommend to a friend.

Fixed it up into a reliable ride

by from Logan, WV on July 2, 2014

I traded an old ATV for my 2002 Xterra in Dec. 2013. It had 217,000 miles on it and a few issues. The first 5 issues was 3 o2 sensors , the noc sensor and the antiloc brake sensor. After replacing, the 3.3 runs very smooth. I have installed new tires and wheels, dyed the carpet green and installed camo superhyde seat covers.The headliner is a problem. I'm going to remove the fabric. and paint the hardboard. Someone had tried to abuse this vehicle, but they failed in my book. It is built very tough and looks and rides super rolling down the road and in the hills of WV.Fuel milage 18-20 mpg. It is a 5 speed with OD.. I plan to keep it for a few years. I think I can get another 100k out of it. Not a bad trade for a $500 ATV.

No surprises (a good thing)

by from Milwaukee, WI on July 2, 2014

Essentially a re-bodied 1st gen Pathfinder (pre '95). Same engine (3.0L->3.3L), transmission, frame, axles, etc. Rides the same, same performance - which may not be a good thing as it's a slug compared to more modern vehicles but anyone whose owned or ridden in any 3-ish liter VG powered Nissan truck won't be in for any surprises. I like the tried and trued platform, it'll last forever assuming it's taken care of properly of course.

Great for hauling stuff and reliable

by from Williamsburg, VA on May 9, 2012

What I like about this SUV Hydraulic tail gate, easy to load in lots of stuff in trunk Spare tire underneath the car - easy to access Family friendly - Car seats easy to install in back seat Driver sits high on the highway - see distances Reliable - does not need a lot of servicing A great all around SUV fun to drive and great price for the miles!

Our Expert Review: 2002 Nissan Xterra