2006 Nissan Xterra

I guess my XTerra missed the 'Reliability' Boat

by from Charleston, SC on October 19, 2008

I have owned my 06 XTerra for a little over two years now. At 11k miles my transmission went out and left my wife and I stranded on the side of the highway in the middle of no where. Since I have had it back in the shop for a new fuel gaugesensor (all of a sudden didn't know how much fuel I had), new catalytic converter, new IPDM module, and currently the dealer doesn't know what is wrong with it because they are not getting an error code on their diagnostic machine. Needless to say, I have not been pleased with the service that has been conducted, nor have I been pleased having to have it towed to the dealer four times now. Three of those four were within the same week. The feaures are great and I have enjoyed while I have driven it. I have the Rockford Fosgate system and have used it extensively for tailgating. If I didn't have the above issues, I would throughly enjoy this vehicle.

i love my Xterra

by from Tulsa on December 13, 2011

I have an Xterra and i absolutely love it. its got the torque in the beginning where it really counts. In my opinion its the best car I've owned.

Rugged, Reliable, Powerful (and nice to look at)

by from Grand Canyon, AZ on August 25, 2006

Why would anyone buy a powerful (4.0L 265hp), inexpensive ($20,000 after rebates), off-road warrior and then complain about a slightly noisy muffler, gas mileage and seats not being cushy enough? If you want a plush, fluffy street utility vehicle... buy a $35,000+ something else! This is the Swiss army knife of production SUV's. I live at the Grand Canyon and these are the choice of local explorers. Carry everything, go anywhere, hose it out when you're done. With the new vehicle dynamics control (VDC), the transition from highway to dirt goes almost without notice. The Xterra is not built to be an interstate cruiser but I travel long distances often and have no complaints. Go test drive one in the hills and on the highway. Then come back here and write a review.

Excellent value

by from Westwood, NJ on October 10, 2011

I recently purchased a 2006 Nissan XTerra SE for my soon to be 17 year old son. Plenty of power, but fuel economy so far only about 15 mpg around town. 4WD system for wet/snow or off road only, so have not used much yet. Somewhat noisy, but optional Rockford Fosgate sound system overpowers road noise. Excellent cargo capacity. Rear seats fold flat and passenger front seat as well. Very rugged styling, with sturdiest roof rack I have ever seen. 5 speed automatic always able to find proper gear with very little sensation of shifting. Deep tinted windows excellent for keeping interior cool, and concealing cargo. Excellent anti lock braking system stopping vehicle consistently with little if any fade.

It's an SUV, not a smart car - and a good one

by from Chicage on February 20, 2007

I'd recommend it! Don't buy this TRUCK if you want a Crossover SUV or a pickup truck. If you want a rugged small-size SUV this is a great option. I almost bought a Dodge Nitro, but opted for this one instead - GREAT DECISION! Buy the "X" model with the power package option ($1100) and put your own accessories on (hitch, wheels, step rails, etc.), you'll save a ton of money.

great car

by from st louis on July 19, 2006

lots of fun to drive, turns heads, everything is close by, you dont have to stretch for any controls, it has more than enough power but handles very well

This SUV is outstanding!

by from Willow, AK on October 24, 2009

Love this SUV, purchased it from dealer 3 years ago. It handles great on highway or hills & mountain roads. Great turning radius, which surprised me. Lots of fun to drive, especially with the Rockford Fosgate stereo. Capacity for towing and hauling gear is nice. Plenty of room for all of our stuff and easily tows our river boat. I only wish it had a thermometer to display outside temps and power seats. Otherwise seats are very comfortable for my 5'3" frame & my husband's 6'4' frame. We usually fight over who gets to drive.

Reliable

by from Orlando on August 12, 2006

This car is reliable only for its engine. If you buy the trims for this vehicle are very poor. The lowest model includes manual windows, not power. The rear space is very ample. But the cargo space is good. The muffler will make a noise. The Xterra eats gas.

WORTH EVERY PENNY!

by from Evansville, IN on October 4, 2013

I love the Nissan Xterra. I previously owned a Jeep Liberty and constantly had issues with it. So, I traded it in for a Xterra. I love my new car! It is spacious, and feels like a tank. I feel as though it is safe and practical for my family.

Love the Xterra

by from boston,MA on April 16, 2012

I love it. The extras that came with it such as the cd changer and tow package. The Nissan dealership was friendly and helpful and very polite.

Our Expert Review: 2006 Nissan Xterra