2010 Nissan Xterra

Great for on the road, or off road.

by from Bradford, Pa on August 19, 2017

This Nissan has the great looks that I like. Lots of room inside. I wish we had gotten this a long time ago.

Most reliable vehicle I have ever owned

by on July 28, 2017

We used this car for road trips as a family and has been blast. I love it's towing capability and the ruggedness. It's fit and finish is totally solid.

Uses car for Havingfun

2010 Nissan Xterra SE

by from Orange, CA on March 29, 2017

I owned my Xterra since it was brand new for over 6 years. It's great off road, good performance, and reliable. I changed the oil religiously and changed all fluids on schedule. No problems! I almost bought a 2015 model to replace it, but decided I wanted to try something different!

So far, so good.

by from Middle of the West Virginia Wilderness on August 17, 2011

I bought this new in May, 2010. Since then, I've put 18,000 miles in a variety of driving conditions; everything from long highway trips to slogging through the mud, to daily commuting. The Xterra handles all with ease. . Interior comfort is the only area where the Nissan really falls short. The seats have inadequate lumbar support. I have to use a pad under my lower back to be comfortable. The driving position is good otherwise. Not a lot of bells and whistles on the midrange models, but then that's just more stuff that could go wrong, right? . Everything on the inside is designed well and all the controls are close at hand. The mirror switch is perhaps the only exception; it hides low on the dash and the switch between left and right isn't obvious. Fortunately, you don't have to use it much. . Performance is excellent with the 265 hp V6. The transmission, apparently trying to wring every ounce of economy from a gallon of gas, is often reluctant to downshift, but if you press the throttle with authority, it kicks down and you get a nice surge of power. You can get up to 20 mpg on long highway trips. . Off road performance is good too. If you like off-roading for the sake of slamming a vehicle into a hole just to see if you can get through, then find something else. If you actually like to ride trails and get places, then the Xterra is perfect. . Even though mine is not an Off-Road model, I have more than once foolishly gotten myself into a bad situation only to have the Xterra rescue me from my own stupidity. . Once, I sat in a deep hole of mud (where I didn't have any business being), pushing a large pile of mud with the front bumper, trying to get out and cursing my own lack of common sense. Thought me and the wife were going to have a very unpleasant 6 mile hike back to civilization, but I backed up and got some momentum and the Nissan clawed its way out, pushing knee deep mud in front of it. Whew! . I think the redesign from the original model made for a good looking vehicle, but it did take some getting used to. The old one looks good too, but the new one looks a little more refined. I can't decide if that's a big advantage for this type of vehicle, but it certainly does have the "cool" factor. I think the old one looks more rugged overall. . I think the Xterra represents a good value for the money. It's a far more capable vehicle than it's closest competitor, the Jeep Liberty. It delivers good off-road performance without being unpleasant to use as an everyday vehicle. With the backseats folded flat, it can haul many things that a truck can, or, can be pressed into service as a makeshift sleeping area for camping. Even though I'm 6'4", I can fit in the back with all the doors closed. . Reliability so far has been good. I haven't encountered a problem that required service. The cruise control is a little "surgy" under 50 mph, i.e., it seems to forget that it's been set until it loses 5 mph or so, then suddenly wakes up and hits the gas, often exceeding the speed that you set it at. No such problem on the highway, though, where you use it the most. Also, mine has developed a faint squeak in the front end. Otherwise, no problems. . All in all, I'd have to say that I'm very happy with the Xterra, and as of the first 20,000 miles, I would definitely buy one if I had it to do over again. I plan on keeping it until the wheels fall off.

BEST IN CLASS

by from Muncie In. on July 14, 2011

I like it more every time I drive it. No troubles and gets advertised MPG. Easy to drive around town. Turns short and easy to park. Unbeatable off road. Great towing strength. Definatly buy one again.

2010 Xterra S 4x4 Auto

by from Melbourne, FL on April 4, 2011

Bought new 4 months and 2800 miles ago. I drove a 2003 Silverado LS 2wd Extended Cab since new before this truck and have to say I like the fact that the Xterra delivers a solid feel in an an easier-to-drive package. It delivers the tough feel and capability of an offroad truck but is easy and comfortable enough to use as a family and commuter vehicle. The only real "downside" I've seen is the fuel economy, but this is a 4500lb truck, not a 3500lb crossover or compromised SUV. It does what it's made for extremely well, which is active outdoor living. Yes, the cargo area scratches fairly easily - I don't care. I'm putting a carpeted Xterra mat back there for times I don't need to be able to easily wash it out. The rest of the truck feels great - solid controls, outstanding visibility, plenty of power. I paid $23,500 after incentives and after comparing to comparable SUVs (FJ Cruiser, Wrangler, Pathfinder, etc.) you just can't beat the performance, capability, solidity and reliability for the price (about $3 - 4k more for comparably equipped FJ or Jeep).

Ready to trade in

by from Denver CO on November 24, 2010

I purchased a 2010 Nissan Offroad edition. After driving it for six months, here is what I can say about it. Pros: Plenty of power in the engine, turning radius is great, visibility is good. Now the cons: hope you got some time, this may take a while. Everyone is correct about the interior plastic scratching very easily, its true little things dropping on or even touching the plastic will leave a mark. If your bothered by this, do not buy the xterra. Brakes are very soft, sometimes I feel like this thing isn't going to stop in time. Gas mileage is really, really bad, I was aware of this before I bought it so it wasn't a big deal. This is a big one for me, reason I will probably trade it in, "the climate controls", alot of the settings force you to have outside air coming in. This is a problem for me because I drive on the freeways alot and I don't want to smell and breathe in exhaust fumes which I have a hard time with, for example, you can only have recirculated air if you have the top and foot vents on at the same time, I like to have the heater on my feet only so choosing this setting automatically forces the outside air to come in. You might say no big deal just close the top vents, NO can do! there are no manual vent shut offs on the center vents, the defrost setting are the same way, outside air only! ok, enough about that. The transmission seems to be always searching for a gear that is not correct for the rpm's. It is probably one of the worst automatic transmissions that I have ever driven. The sun visors have some sort of spring tension when you tilt it down. I was driving into some morning sun, so I tilted the visor down just where I needed it, and as soon as I let go of the visor, it moved back up about an inch, there is now way it stays exactly where you want it, it's very frustrating, I had to raise my body up to compensate for a badly designed sun visor. Cargo room is very limited. Ok, another thing that I really hate is the way the back cargo door opens, if you have stuff in the back that isnt secured down, when you open that back cargo door, there is a pretty good chance that stuff is going to fall out and onto the pavement. There is a lot of road noise, I swear, I thought a window was slightly open somewhere, because I heard so much road and wind noise coming in. Changing the oil filter can be messy because of the location. Skid plates on the bottom are very cheap and thin. Arm rest for the right arm is too far back to rest your arm and grab the steering wheel, I'm 6'1" btw. I would not recommend this and I will probably be trading it in this spring/summer.

ok but not worth the price tag

by from Michigan on September 25, 2010

Ok, I have lived and learned. I bought a new xterra and made a big mistake. The pros: It performs well, easy to drive, great engine, fast, great breaking and great turning radius. Overall good performer for driving off road.The cons: there are a lot or them...It's made cheap, it's scratches bad in the interior, the paint is cheap, plastic on the bumpers are cheap, the carpet is not even, you feel every road bump in the body of the vehicle, it has poor insulation, it rattles, the dash and the door panels move and shake and it has no options (even the fully loaded ones have no technology or options). I have had cars 10 to 12 years older that have more options, better technlology and better constuction. It is an ok vehicle if you buy one used for about 17k but new is a mistake. It was not worth the 30k. It drives like a 10 yr old truck, but worse construction and less options. I will say this, most newer cars are made just as cheap and they rattle and scratch as well but the xterra is not worth the new price tag. If you have a second vehicle go buy an older xterra or just a beat up truck because that is what this car looks like after about 6months. The engine and mechanics are good but everthing else is like a cheap korean car.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

XCheap

by from Ottawa, Ontario on September 23, 2010

My wife owns a 2009 XTerra and I own a 2007 FJ Cruiser. In comparing the two, the XTerra is not as smooth of a ride on the highway (and it has highway tires on it, the FJ has all terrain tires which are noisy but the FJ is smooth) The FJ performs better on trails (like it or not to you other XTerra advocates out there). The interior of the XTerra IS cheap, like it or not, and scratches easily, as well the seats are cheap material and not resistant to water like the FJ. The FJ can be sprayed inside with a hose to wash it down...The XTerra does have better rear visibility, and the rear seats are similar...they suck in both vehicles for adults, especially entering and exiting the vehicle. Front seats are more comfortable in the FJ. The XTerra is slightly better on gas unless you drive it hard, I drive both of them hard and they are both horrible on fuel when driven anything but like a granny. When it comes to these two, it comes down to preference because they are quite similar, I personally prefer my FJ, and the FJ is also of higher build quality.

The only true SUV out there.

by from Utah on July 15, 2010

After test driving just about every SUV out there, including high end luxury Lexus, 4 runners and audis, I chose the xterra. The xterra rides like a truck but performs like a sports car! The turning radius is amazing, it stop on a dime and with 9.5 inches of clearance it still sticks the road and handles like it is on rails. The 0-60 speed is amazing and this truck will through into the back of your seat. Plus the realibility is there!! Since 2005 the xterra has won just about every award available, consumer reports love it, it has good resale and it is the only off-road vehicle that is comfortable enough to be a daily driver. The only down side it the plastic cargo area but it's ease to fix with a rubber floor mat. The rest of the interior is well assembled and I have had no rattles or scratches. The interior is modern and refeshing, with crome inlays, stereo, controls have nice back lighting and comfortable seats.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)