1999 Grand Am

$574 - $4,062  MSRP Range
1999 Pontiac Grand Am

4.4

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am?

Great Car

by PontiacZach from Philadelphia PA on Thu Jul 14 2011

If you keep up with the schedule maintenance then this car will last a long time. I own have owned a 2004 Pontiac Grand AM that was totaled and it was such a nice car I went out and bought a 1999 since a friend of mine was selling it for cheap. These grand am's are great ! My 1999 grand am has over 182000 miles and runs and drives great!

Best car!

by C-dog46 from Kansas on Sat Sep 25 2010

This was my first car and I got it used. It has had no problems and I have had it for 4 years and I love ot!

Great value and style

by Old joe from Columbus ohio on Tue Nov 19 2013

This car has great styling, handles good and gets really good mileage. It is a four cylinder but has a lot of pep. It has a little over 100k miles and I expect to add 50k. There is plenty room for five people and the trunk is big. I am very pleased with this car.

Among the best!

by Archangel from Charlotte, NC on Tue Aug 07 2007

Bought this car new in August of 1998! Been great! over 233K miles and still going! Only major repairs are Alternator (twice in 200K), Water Pump (Factory went 190K), and Timing chain (233K). The vehicle gets great highway miles 28-34 mpg and keeps on running! Going for half a million!

I will cry when it dies.

by JustMe from Minnesota on Wed Feb 04 2015

I LOVE my car, I've had it for 16 years, and have only had a few understandable replacements. Fuel pump, power steering assembly, rack, alternator. Aside from regular maintenance. A few small hiccups and weirdness, but it just adds character I guess, and never caused problems. For example, sometimes when backing out of a driveway, between shifting from reverse to drive, it would hesitate and the speedometer flipped all the way to 150mph when I wasn't moving. It happened a handful of times, and brought it up to a shop, but they didn't understand what I was trying to tell them and just kept saying how the car never went that fast.....derrr. It's showing it's age, and I'm afraid it won't make it another year, which is sad since I've only JUST gotten 167,000 on it yesterday. I really can't complain about it, I expect most cars have some parts that need replacing after so long, and for the most part, this one has just been such a great car, and I still think it's pretty even after all these years. I am not joking when I say I will cry when it dies. I could barely stomach it the first time it had to be towed.

Ponti

by James from on Sun Aug 04 2013

I saw the car and drove it , it is enjoyable to have a ride..if i would have the money i buy it..Good&Sport for a university student !!

Great Car

by Grand AMer from LA, CA on Fri Jun 15 2007

This car with V6 has great acceleration verse gas milage. Handles well, has a lot of nice features. Would recommond to friends. Cheaper than Imports. Looks very sporty, especially with chrome rims. Like the wide stance.

99 Pontiac

by I love my Red Grand Am from Chicago on Thu May 18 2006

I've had this car since 98 and I love it! I bought it brand new. Its so reliable. The price of this car when I bought was perfect despite the fact that I did buy it a year early and at the time they only had 51 '99 grand am's out that year. The only problem I had with this car was my anti freeze leaked into my oil..what do you expect at 110,000 miles? Other than that its a great car and never really had any huge problems with it.

I Love This Car

by -J from Kittanning, PA on Wed Apr 29 2009

I Previously owned a 94 grand am and didnt care for the styling. I went and traded it for a 99 Grand Am SE2 It is fully loaded except leather interior. I love this car. It is truely one of the nicest cars i have been in. I would only perfer a Honda Toyota or Subaru to this. The only problems i have is i am a bit of a rough driver so i only get 15 mpg so thats a bit of a down fall. And GM needed to do a recall on the ignition switches of this type. Malibus, Aleros, and Grand ams all have problems with starting up sometimes. The key in the dash is know to be prone to having to turn over a few extra times before starting up. Other than those. GREAT CAR.

You Could Do Better

by Erica from Indianapolis, IN on Tue Jun 30 2009

When I first bought my 1999 used Grand Am it was a very good car. As the year passed on I had problems. First of all my power steering went out, then all levels of air conditioning didn't work, and last but not least my security light came on ever single day (the car thinks someone is stealing it and will not allow you to start your car for another 20 min) The security light was the worst because we fixed it for $400....then the problem came back and it was worse than ever. It's especially bad when you have to be at work or somewhere important and your car won't start for 20min. My tech said many pontiac 99 models have this security problem because a module is corroded. Overall, I pretty much spent as much money fixing my car as I paid for it.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2

Our Take on the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am

And now, "A Tale of Two Grand Ams":

"It was the best of cars, it was the worst of cars."

No kidding. Truth be told, the two Grand Ams in question - the sportier GT model and the standard-issue SE - were like Cain and Abel, Yin and Yang.

One that's hot, one that's not.

The Grand Am for '99 is Pontiac's completely redesigned sport compact, a budget-priced coupe or sedan that vies to uphold the marquee's "excitement division" reputation in the General Motors paddock.

Yes, you do get a lot of car for the money. Stylish bodies, well-furnished interiors, dynamite stereo systems and enough panache to help attract members of the opposite sex.

Aimed at the hearts of under-30 drivers, male and female... Read More