2001 Grand Am

2001 Pontiac Grand Am

2001 Pontiac Grand Am

3.6

Have You Driven the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am?

best car I have owned!!

by Hairless Monkey from Big Rapids, MI on Sat Oct 08 2011

I bought this car back in April 2001. It had over 12000 miles, so it was basically broken in. I changed the oil to Mobil 1, fully synthetic. There have been minor issues with the car. Changed the head gasket at about 160000. A/C went out at about 230000. Other than that, no major issues. The transmission is just starting to go out, but this car is still running strong at 233000. This car handles beautifully in various types of weather from snow storms in the rockies, to torrential downpoars in new england. It handles the lake effect snow up here in Michigan like it was made for it. Some rust is showing up on the body, but after ten years, it is suprising that it didn't sho earlier. I have no complaint about this car, and it has worked so very well throughout the many years that I have owned it.

Very good car

by J C from on Mon Apr 12 2010

I was told this car was going to be a terrible buy and would be in the repair shop all the time, but my car is at 160,000 miles and the only major repair I've ever had to do was replacing the head gasket. That was pricey. But honestly I think it has done so well otherwise because I really keep up with maintenance. Leather has held up nicely, exterior is fine, no electrical problems, engine problems, etc. It is fun to drive, lots of pep, but as mileage keeps going up, I am starting to feel each and every bump in the road. I don't know if the people that gave this car poor reviews just got lemons or if I got lucky, but I really have enjoyed having my car.

good car

by car person from kansas on Tue Feb 19 2013

good vehicle ,reliable transportation , comfortable and smooth ride dealer not so reliable not a good company to buy from

Totally happy with our Grand Am

by Retired Trucker from Shamokin Dam, PA on Fri Jul 23 2010

Bought it in 2003 used with 46,000 miles on it. Since I was on the road a lot wanted a reliable car for my wife to get around in. The Grand Am has not let us down and other than regular minor service and fair wear and tear items has not cost us any grief (or money). Good fuel mileage, decent traction in winter (and that's 7 PA winters, folks!!). Our college student daughter has "taken over possession" of this vehicle and she'll fight us tooth and nail if we ever want to replace it. She'll carnap it and run this baby til it needs dentures!! And we feel perfectly safe with her driving it. We would wholeheartedly recommend this car to anyone.

Best Car We Have Ever Had

by car lover from Beckley, WV on Thu Oct 13 2011

My mother bought this car in 2001 and used it for work. 5 years later she let my dad have it. 5 years later i find out they are giving me this car when i am 16. Best car ever. It's sporty, safe, good transmission, good steering, good brakes. The interiors are great. I HIGHLY recommend this car!

worth the money

by jdaldav from Virgina on Mon Feb 13 2012

I purchased my grand am almost brand new in 2001 with just 6,000 miles..It now has 177,000 miles and has proved to be reliable under the hood. The only "major thing" to have gone was the fuel pump..I have had this car for 11 years now and it is not great interior wise (knobs falling off, button on gear shift falling out) but for the little hiccups it has been a long term car.

Not bad

by Tiffany from Michigan on Fri Feb 27 2015

Bought this car when it was 8 years old with 128,000 miles. I was able to put 90,000 miles on it. I had "Pass Lock" issues which is a security issue that won't let you start the car unless you leave the key on the "on" position for at least 10 minutes. Cheap repair that resolved the problem. Intake manifold gaskets were replaced at 125,000 miles and again at 213,000 miles as well as the O-Ring in the fuel line. Next the head gaskets went. Other than that it is a great car that needs typical maintenance.

drive vehicle before buy.

by sport car from crown point in on Wed Dec 22 2010

good car. The best car, used, I have ever had before.I will recomend the same car to everyone. It is awesome.

great car

by Jim from Ocala, FL on Sat Apr 17 2010

great car for any one. a few mech issues with all models. they are a one time fix then you dont need to worry about them agin.

my first car

by nicky from Lansing, MI on Sun Jan 25 2015

This car is a great car to start with. It is smooth and relatively comfortable. It has its pros and cons but thats the reason for why it is so affordable. I have had it for a while and It has not given me major problems. The only problems I have had have been electricity related. It has 155,000 miles on it and it still runs pretty smooth and the engine still sounds very good. Over all, if you are looking to buy your first car and this one specifically interests you, go right on ahead and try this one out. It is a great first car and I'm sure you will love it. Just make sure everything is running on it properly and as soon as you get it, have it checked by a mechanic. Its very fuel efficient, runs smooth, very comfortable, and sporty look.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am

It's tough being the little brother of the family. The comparisons are endless, the lack of attention is obvious, and, inevitably, the shadow of Big Brother follows wherever you go.

Such is the life of the Pontiac Grand Am GT, a midsize, sportish car just aching to shed its image of a Grand Prix without all the gusto. It looks good, feels good and drives well. But a few spins might tempt you into labeling it a mini-Prix: scaled back, a little more economical and not quite the ride we've enjoyed from its sibling.

Remember, there's no shame in this: Pontiac's hottest selling car is, in fact, the little brother of the family. The Grand Am, not the Grand Prix, sells about 200,000 units annually, just... Read More