2002 Grand Am

$7 - $5,971  MSRP Range
2002 Pontiac Grand Am

3.6

4 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have you driven the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am?

Definitely NOT A Lemon!

by sporty lady from Nashville, TN on Sat Oct 27 2007

Four years ago, I purchased a used 2002 Gran AM that had 21,000 miles on it. I can safely say that this was the best car I've ever owned. I just recently traded it in and the dealer was amazed that I got over 200,000 miles on it!During the four years I had it,the only things that I've replaced (besides tires) were the fuel pump, ignition cluster and one of the O2 sensors. The fuel pump went out at around 156,000 miles, and the other things went after that. I would highly reccommend this style car for a teen or college student.

Reliable car, Great for Commuting

by RichardB from Fenton, Michigan on Mon Nov 15 2010

I got my Grand Am SE Sedan in February of 2002. Since i wanted a standard transmission, which is not popular in Michigan, my dealer found one for me and had it shipped from California. (new) I was impressed at how smooth the 5 speed transmission shifted, and the comfortable ride. The Monsoon radio had great sound, and was able to pull in distant FM stations with ease. My Grand Am was equipped with electric door locks, remote entry, a sunroof, and Fold-down rear seat backs. This last feature allows me to transport large items easily. I've often loaded 10 foot long building material into my Grand Am, and still been able to close the trunk. You can't even get a 10 foot long water pipe into the back of a pickup truck without it hanging over the tailgate. Folding down the rear seat backs also allows me to carry two bicycles in this extended cargo area when my wife and I go on bicycling outings. At about 20000 miles, i started to experience a noise in the front which the dealer attributed to the Goodyear Eagle Tires. They fixed the problem by allowing me to exchange the remaining life of the Goodyear tires for a different set of tires. Around 90000 miles, I had a problem with the security system on the vehicle that could have been repaired by replacing the ignition switch. I opted instead to install a fix suggested on Edmunds.com. This fix saved me $400, and bypassed the "Security" warning system on the vehicle, which to me, is not a necessity. I have had very few problems with this vehicle. Both Ignition coils and an Ignition Module have failed on the car, but neither of these failures stranded me, and my overall expenditures for repairs have been quite small. I went over 80000 miles before brake reconditioning, and at 137000 miles, I still have not had to replace the clutch. My average fuel economy is around 33 MPG, and at 65 mph, I can approach 40 MPG on the highway. After 8 years of ownership, I still use this car daily as my ride to and from work. Even on Michigan's highly salted roads, the exterior finish looks nearly new, with no signs of rust-through anywhere on the body. I would highly recommend this model to anyone looking for comfortable, reliable transportation. This model, with less than 100000 miles, would surely give many years of service.

Great First Car!

by Stephanie from Rochester, MI on Sat Nov 06 2010

The first car I owned. Great for driving to school and work. Very reliable car. Pretty good mileage.

My favorite car!

by Miss Picky from Amarillo, TX on Tue Apr 19 2011

After months of searching and dozens of cars I finally settled on My Grand Am due to it being a 4 door that is still super sporty. I am so happy that I got far more than I expected! There have been no major issues in the 4 years I have had it and it is a blast to drive. The only issue I have had is with my pass lock system but after a few months it has stopped having problems without needing any repairs!!! If you are looking for a fun and sporty car with the convenience of a sedan this is your car!

Great car

by Jack the Car Man from Woodstock IL on Thu Dec 02 2010

This car is decent on gas considering the power it packs with a V6. This car is low to the ground so it has more of a sporty feel to it and less of a sedan feel (even if it is a sedan). It has a lot of safety features including the LATCH system for car seats and air bags. You can fit 4 people comfortably in it and the factory sound system is better than average. As long as it is maintained regularly, this car can last easily beyond 200K miles.

Not too bad

by 5speed driver from Minneapolis, MN on Fri Aug 01 2008

This car has been a pretty good daily driver for me. The only thing I can truly complain about is the high cost of electrical issues I've had. The electrical problems I've had are the: multi-function switch, hazard switch(under recall), pass-lock censor(completely disabled my car), and ignition cylinder. The rest of it was pretty much just maintenance. Not a bad car though. I have the 5speed 4 cylinder, and I always average over 30MPGs. Not too bad, but I definitely prefer an import...

Love this car.

by Grand Am GT1 Girl from Illinois on Wed Jun 08 2016

I bought this car new in 2002 and have had it for 14 years now. I have had no major problems with it after driving it for 139,000 mi. I have kept it in the garage changed the oil regularly, fixed issues as they came up. It has been a great car to drive and it is very reliable.

Decent car for the money.

by 2002 Grand AM GT Owner from Orlando, FL on Mon Apr 16 2007

I bought this car used and I'm the 3rd owner. I bought it in Oct 2005 with 50,000 miles on it for $10,900. I have had no major problems with it what-so-ever. I have had to get a new break caliper due to a faulty gasket. I've heard about the intake manifold gasket giving other people problems too. My father has a 2001 GT and he has had that problem. I hear it leaks oil into the coolent, which causes all sort of problems. There should be a recall on this. High winds cause you to grip the steering wheel as the car will get blown about. Starting can be a problem. Sometimes I have to crank it twice to start. The brakes aren't really that great at stopping as I've had with other cars. The dash is starting to curl up because of the cheap plastic that they used on it. There is no dipstick for the transmission fluid, which stinks. It says to change after 150,000, but that seems far fetched. The supsension is very sensitive. You can feel every crack in the road. Now for the good part. It is really easy to change the oil, belts, bulbs, speakers and the air filter. For those do-it-yourself people, it is very easy to work on. The 2001 GT has a tension lever for the belts, but not on the 2002. Why is that? It's an easy fix for $10! My 2002 GT is very comfotable. The stereo is great and it is easy to replace the speakers when you blow them out. It manuvers extremely well. Plenty of room all over, including the trunk. I plan on keeping it until 200,000 miles. I had a Pont Grand Am 1995. It lasted 10 years in harsh driving environments and made it to 225,000 without engine or trany troubles. Be prepared with any GM to have to service at least one major component after 100,000 miles. But then again, that's with any car you buy.

13 years 185000 km (115000 miles)

by Nick Name from Kelowna Canada on Tue Jan 12 2016

Bought this car (2002 Grand Am GT) used in 2003 and it already had 120000 km. Had it almost 12 years since then as our second vehicle and we can't complain. Only major costs in that time frame have been the catalytic converter, and a new power window mechanism. Other things that are more of an inconvenience is that the fan only blows on the highest setting (blower resistor) and the stereo LED's being not fully lit. She still has lots of get up and go for passing on the highway.

great car

by luvmypontiac from on Sat Jul 31 2010

Both me and my girlfriend drive an 02 pontiac grand am se 1 and they are both excellent cars. truly excellent!

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am

Over the decades, Pontiac has built an identity within GM as a division that builds vehicles that are youthful and exciting. The excitement usually comes down to one visual cue: plastic cladding.

Those lumpy, bumpy trim bits wrap up Pontiac's intent in one quick styling gimmick. It has helped sustain Pontiac over the past 20 years and started with the Grand Am in the early '80s. Its ultimate expression is the Pontiac Aztek, a vehicle that proves that cladding no longer works as a styling statement.

So, it's little wonder that Bob Lutz, GM's vice chairman for product development, has declared war on cladding. One wonders what will happen to the plastic-clad Grand Am, Pontiac's most... Read More