1997 Grand Prix

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix

4.2

Have You Driven the 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix?

Pretty Good Car

by BJ from Iowa on Sun Jan 04 2009

I bought the car at 140,000 miles, have been driving it for 3.5 years, and it now has 210,000 miles! It really does run GREAT. There have been a few issues with it though (sensors, etc.); I've spent $2000 in repairs in 3.5 years. It now needs about $600 in repairs, but I know it'll run for another 40-60k EASILY. Air is ICE cold yet, brakes last forever, tires wear great, never needs alignment, etc. Starts in THE COLDEST weather (-45 wind chill) and air works great in the hottest weather (100 degrees, 100% humidity). Very dependable, has never left me stranded. Always starts.

Fun drive

by Tbdew1 from Ft. Wayne, IN on Mon Dec 17 2012

This car satisfies the need for handling, exhilaration, and economy. The 3.8 supercharged GTP provides quick acceleration and still manages 30 mpg highway. Mine at this point has 305,000 miles on it, don't miss any oil changes, I have changed a couple of wheel bearings along the way, but nothing else major.

Slick and Quick

by Happy GTP Owner from on Sat Nov 01 2014

Most people look for a car that has a good balance of power, efficiency, and looks, but in most cases, they settle for only one of the three. It can be difficult in today?s automobile market to find a vehicle that can deliver at least a solid B- in all three fields. The 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP does just that. It?s a car that comes as advertised, no strings attached. It?s acceleration makes it fun to drive, it?s efficiency makes it easy on the wallet, and its appearance will make you think it?s slower than it actually is. Under the GTP?s hood you?ll find a 3.8 liter V6 engine with a 4-speed transmission. Now, there isn?t much special about a V6 car. Most of today?s sedans and SUVs are equipped with six cylinder engines, standard. The real powerhouse of the Grand Prix is it?s supercharger. That little baby kicks in at around sixty percent throttle, and you can really tell when it does. If you were to ask the driver of a car without a supercharger, they will tell you the power band of their V6 sedan is pretty linear. They?ll tell you the car has the same oomph all the way through the RPM?s, but not on this bad boy. It?s like moving into a whole different world; the speed picks up and you?ll be gripping the steering wheel wondering how those cars that were to the left and right of you at that stop light are so far behind you now. Check that out, you can see your average miles per gallon right on the dash! Not bad for a car built 17 years ago. Don?t get your expectations too high though, because you?re not going to be hugging many trees with this sedan. But with an average of 19 MPG, you?ve still got enough room to talk down at Hummer owners. That kind of efficiency is enough to get you about 250 miles from where you started before the all uppercase ?LOW FUEL? blurb is displayed on the Driver Information Center, despite there still being a whopping four gallons left in the tank. Don?t get me wrong, the GTP is by no means an ugly car. But when you look at it, you can definitely tell it was made in the 90s. There are no real definite lines on the vehicle, making it look more like a round-edged blob than a fast sedan. However, the slick shape and body style makes it look far better than other blocky cars being produced at the time. Combined with the black leather interior, the overall aesthetic appeal of the GTP makes a statement of definite personality, more than any other 1997 vehicle. If you?re looking for a car with fun amounts of power, adequate fuel efficiency, and a nineties? aesthetic style, then there?s no other car but the 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. You can tell what it is up close, and you can tell what it is from afar.

Does not recommend this car!!

Great Car!

by If I Must Drive, Let Me Be Comfortable! from Chicago, Illinois on Mon May 22 2006

I bought my Grand Prix in 1996 and have had no problems with it. I absolutely loved it from the moment I test drove it! It handles very well, regardless of the weather conditions. The instruments are easily accessible, especially with some being on the steering wheel. The 1997 Grand Prix is a comfortable car, even for long rides. It is also most definitely user friendly, even for teenagers. We taught our oldest son to drive in this car and he never had a problem nor did he ever feel uncomfortable with or in it. I currently have approximately 90,000 miles on my Grand Prix and aside from normal maintenance, I have had no problems with it. I hope to have this car for another 90,000 miles because I just love it! I have recommended this car ever since I purchased it!

Love my Red Robin

by ColleenC from Cape Cod, MA on Tue Jul 12 2011

I bought my Grand Prix off of my cousin for half blue book. I've had it 2 yrs and I've only had to replace the blower, a cooling system hose, serpentine belt, some breaks, and the engine light issues to pass inspection. most just maintenance. I think all in all I have only paid over 2k including new tires. Red Robin is her name and she has great handling on the road, pretty decent in snow, and has been very reliable (knock on wood). My only beef is the gas mileage isn't that great since shes got 3800GT engine. Shes worth it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the same exact car again. I love you Red Robin!

Excellent First Car

by Ausmy from Pennsylvania on Sun Jul 30 2017

Wonderful vehicle. Very reliable, in the two years that I have owned it it has gained 30k miles for a total of 158k. The car has tons of power with an economic v6. I have the gt version of the vehicle but you can gain even more power if you find a gtp. The cars have a few issues; leaks, key getting stuck, transmission getting stuck in gear, etc. but they are all easily fixed and once taken care of never act up again. I trust my car 100% and would happily take it anywhere. I commute about 56 miles per day to work with both highway and city driving and average 23mpg. I highly recommend this as a first car given it's cheap value and good reliability. It also has a modern look so you don't stand out in a parking lot for driving something old. With the right options you get modern features including a heads-up display, sunroof, dual climate control, etc.

200,10 miles and runs perfect

by rocket9244 from Chicago/Omaha on Wed Jan 20 2016

bought my GT two door from a car lot with 170K miles on it and was a bit scared. I figured it would last a year or so. fast forward 3 years and 40,000 miles later and she is still running like new. I drive my car from Chicago to Omaha Nebraska every month. it is 450 miles and 6.5 hours doing 75-80 mph all the way. I get around 32mpg on the highway and 27mpg in town. I have Never fixed anything except new motor and tranny mounts. I change the oil every 5,000 miles and new antifreeze every spring. she has Never stalled, not started or left me on the side of the road. I may keep this car forever and use it as a parts car for another one if she ever dies. or I might fix her up and drive it another 20 years until she becomes an antique and then use her in shows. I would buy another grand prix GT two door in a heartbeat. Great cars !!!

After 20 yrs, I'd buy it again.

by crockettscove from West Tn. on Wed Jul 26 2017

Best auto I've ever owned, except for electrical system. All window and door controls replaced twice. 247,000 miles.

GP SE that served me well

by Green GP Man with a Tan from Moline, IL area on Wed Nov 01 2006

I've since sold this car. It was an SE model with the 3.8L engine. The only problem I had was a coil pack quit on a road trip to the in-laws. Driving 300 miles on 4 cylinders ruined ALOT of parts. I fought the "service engine" light for about 3 weeks getting it all sorted out. I'd think the problem was fixed, but then the next thing in line would want attention. Went like this. Replaced the coil pack and the spark plugs. "Fixed"--nope, Replace the wired, "fixed", no. Replace O2 sense #1 (before converter) ... no. Replace cat converter... no. Replace O2 sensor #2 and the fuel filter to be sure. Ta-da, problem solved! Never a tranny issue. GP returned about 25mpg for all of our time with it. At 100K, unlike Carl below, I performed preventive maintainence; new timing chain, water pump, serp belt and brakes. Never blame any OEM for worn out serp belt or water pump. At 100K all belts/ water pumps are shot. If you got more than that, be happy. I did all the above work myself expect the cat converter. Interior was well laid out. Radio was ok, loved the ABS in MI and A/C blew cold when sold. When sold I could still make it look near-new. All things worked except of few of the rear window defogger lines, fan speed #1 and wipers were acting funny...sometimes. The front seat were comfortable, but the back seat felt like you're sitting-on-the-floor. Overall, I thought it was a teriffic ride. I'd get another except for my wife.

Awesome Pontiac

by Ian A. from Jacksonville, Fl on Thu Aug 17 2006

I got this car with 120, 000 miles on it and it is still running well. i havent had many problems other than the air going out because of the motor but it was a simple fix and also the car is old so. Also i have had 3 accidents and this puppy still runs like a champ. It now has about 135,000 miles on it and i still love it, and so does my boyfriend.... he mainly drives it and prefers it even over his own car which has less miles on it.... V6 power and sleek styling, i love the grand prix and i think i might buy a new one when i can. please get this car it is awesome!

1 2

Our Take on the 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix

The Grand Prix GT Coupe is a performance machine that can double as the family runabout. Muscle cars certainly aren't what they used to be.

In the old Pontiac Grand Prix days, you wrestled with a sheet-metal dinosaur powered by a huge V-8 lump that roared like thunder, pulled like a race horse and drank like an unrepentant gasoholic.

The world rushed by as the heavy cruiser heaved on its mushy suspension, all going well unless the driver was required to navigate a bend in the road or come to a stop.

No, the finer points of handling and braking were lost on the '60s muscle cars. And the Grand Prix, while more sophisticated than most, was no exception.

Many will argue that those were the... Read More