2008 Cayman

2008 Porsche Cayman

2008 Porsche Cayman

Have you driven the 2008 Porsche Cayman?

Porsche Rocks!

by Craig H from Cherokee County, SC on December 1, 2017

Great german made car. Love it. You actually feel like you are driving something vs. the tin cans or plastic bubbles as with other automobile manufacturers. Sturdy, dependable, rock solid, handles great!! This is my 4th Porsche - once you own a Porsche, you will not want to buy another manufacturer.

Beautiful and Reliable

by TexCarGuy from Austin on June 3, 2018

The Cayman was an extension of Porsche's successful (and still being built) Boxster series, but, in my opinion, much more beautiful. Here in 110-degree Austin temperatures, convertibles have no value, except to allow additional heat, sound, and rainwater intrusion, so the Cayman ticks all those boxes in a positive way. It requires a bit of effort to "saddle up", but once inside, both driver and passenger are treated to wonderfully ergonomic leather seating. I've owned almost 100 cars in my lifetime, ranging from multiple Porsches, Mercedes, Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Jaguar, Lotus.. you name it. Hands down, this is unquestionably the best car I've owned to date, including past ownership of a 911. Handling is flawless.. smooth-as-silk clutch takeup and tight manual shifter action, perfect, slop-free steering with just the right amount of power assist and road feedback. And these 987 engines have a long history of bulletproof reliability. A big plus when considering the daunting Porsche service and parts costs. Also, in spite of the apparent confined access to the mid-engine compartment, most all standard service items.. belt replacement, oil and filter changes, etc. appear to be simple, DIY tasks for the average home shade tree mechanic. All in all, in my opinion, one of the best cars on the road today, and the earlier years represent incredible bargains against their new-model brethrens's prices.

Love at First Drive

by Rex *UAV Cayman S* from Toms River, NJ on September 2, 2009

When you pick a car to own or lease, alot of math and thought goes into the most bang for your buck. I gave this car a 5 star for that which may not make sense considering the Z4, BMW 1-series, etc. As I was getting out of my old lease and looking for a new one, I decided to just check out the Audi A5. Big back seat, nice looking, not a bad choice for a daily driver. As I came to the Audi dealer, I immediately looked at the attached Porsche dealer and said, maybe one day I can afford that. I walked out of Audi with a fair number for a lease payment and was going to return after some more shopping around. I happened to walk over to the Porsche Cayman S (a red one) in the Adjoined lot. I felt like a kid staring thru the window at his dream. Beautiful leather, gorgeous dashboard, the famous crest on the steering wheel. As I continued to admire the cars curves and interior appointments, I was approached by a Porsche Sales rep. He simply said, This is the best car I've driven. For a sales rep of a distinguished dealer to say that, I was even more enthralled being near the Cayman S. I told him, way outta my price range. He said, no problems, do you want to test drive it? My mind said why not? and my heart said, You better not mess this up for me! So I went ahead. The sales rep did something interesting at this point. He said, I'll drive the first 1/2 of the route and then we can switch. I get in, strap the seatbelt in and boom... I was in love (before i even touched the steering wheel). Going 55 on a right handed sharp curve is not something many cars can do, but he did it with ease. By the time I got to drive it, the car was more than ready to handle more and the rep actually told me, go ahead, hit the gas to the floor. Lets just leave this review to say I am currently in my first Porsche, a black Cayman S and look for excuses to drive it more than just for work (its my daily driver). When i worked the numbers out, I found that the car was just as affordable as an A5. I am in my dream car and I'm sure this is one of many porsches in my life.

What is there not to love...

by Citizen X from Los Angeles, CA on October 3, 2011

What I love the most is everyone points at my Porsche as if they've never seen a Cayman. It's responsive and it's the new love of my life. I have a smile on my face every time I'm near my Porsche. I didn't buy it to take the kids to practice or carpool. I bought this piece of art, because it makes me happy. Work to Live, not live to work; Live Life...

Lots of Little Things and One Big One ...

by John from Kansas City, Missour on August 24, 2013

I have now owned my Cayman for over four years. Notwithstanding my title, it has been extremely reliable for me. Now here are the two "catches". First, unless you get one that's highly optioned up, you are going to be missing things that all your friends have in their Kias and Camrys ... like auto temp control (!), auto lights, wipers, and a decent stereo. Oh sure, I know, real sports car drivers don't care. Well, most of us spend our days driving on ordinary roads with ordinary traffic and that engine sound is beautiful for a while and after a couple of hours it becomes a drone that won't be drowned out by the pathetic radio. And you think you won't miss the other little things ... you will be wrong. There is a reason other manufacturers put them on their cars, they are nice to have. Porsche will sell them to you, also ... at a very high price. But the real biggie is, as the Chicago owner pointed out, all the defective engineering. Yes, the engine may suddenly blow up, and a new engine costs $20,000 with the same defective engineering. It's no lie. There is a cottage industry in trying to rectify this problem, which affects anywhere from 1% to 10% of these cars but which Porsche won't officially admit to. Why should they? Idiots like me get so hyped up over the media reviews and the test drive that we buy their cars anyway. But are you really willing to take a 1% chance that you'll have to pay another $20K for a new engine?

Does not recommend this car!!

Handles Like It's On Rails

by Old Car Guy from Columbus,Ohio on November 9, 2008

A dream car that came true. Mine has the Tiptronic transmission and find it very satisfying. My wife and I enjoy looking for twisty roads to experience the superb handling. Put's a smile on my face every time we're out.

Nearly Flawless

by Cayman Enthusiast from Austin, TX on November 2, 2009

This is a design masterpiece. I love this car and have never had any problems...in fact, it exceeds my expectations every time I drive it. Couldn't be happier. The only two things I would change in the entire car: 1. The key could use some designer work. It's bulky and I keep depressing the buttons that open the hood or trunk. 2. The radio is not great. I know they were going for simple, which I admire. But it loses some basic, practical applications. The sounds is amazing, however.

Love the style and get up and go

by Happy Cayman Owner from Jacksonville on December 12, 2012

Purchased a low miles 2008 Porsche Cayman. It's a dream body style and I was glad to get one that looks brand new and in rose. Very well kept. Drives like a race car and you can definitely feel the road and bumps. The performance is there. Of course friends use the evil word "maintenance cost" but I'm crossing my fingers that with a good maintenance schedule- my newly named Cayman..."Antonio" will drive this chick in style for a couple of years without too many purse aches. It's the best mid-age fix you can find and I'm hoping to work up to the 911S down the road.

Best sports car period!

by RaceCarDriver from New Jersey on March 28, 2012

I sold my Porsche 911 4S to buy this 2008 Cayman S. The Cayman S has better handling for less money. Mid engine cars handle the best, that's why Formula One and Indy cars are mid-engine cars. The Cayman S makes a great daily driver and weekend autocross car. You can easily get 26 mpg on the highway and nothing on the road handles like it. Beautiful car too, tons of compliments. Think of the Cayman S as a better handling 911 for less money.

It's a childhood dream come true.

by A North/ South Owner. from Albany, NY - Sarasota, FL on February 20, 2012

A childhood dream to own a Porsche. Bought a 2008 Jag XK two years ago in Albany, NY and still own it but wanted a Porsche to satisfy the dream. Bought the Porsche two months ago in Sarasota, FL. I guess you can't compare the two. One is a luxury car the other a true sports car. I'm having fun with both. They both have a great deal of zip but the Porsche corners a lot better than the Jag.

Our Take on the 2008 Porsche Cayman

A bright yellow Cayman S arrived at a particularly opportune time a few weeks ago. I was standing at the edge of a gas-price-induced funk — I'd just put nearly $90 into a Toyota Land Cruiser test vehicle — and was at risk of succumbing to the belief that fuel economy is all that matters when it comes to cars. It's not, of course, and the Cayman S brought me back to my senses, reminding me how good things can be for enthusiast drivers with money to spend.

In short, the Cayman S is the kind of car that makes you remember why you love driving, especially when the driving involves winding country roads with minimal traffic. Here, the coupe is an able and willing accomplice to your every driving... Read More