2008 Astra

2008 Saturn Astra

2008 Saturn Astra

4.4

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2008 Saturn Astra?

A "rare" car

by Tom from Ingleside, TX on Mon Dec 21 2009

I've had my Astra since July 2008, and have put about 27,000 miles on it since then. It is as rare as a Ferrari where I live, I've only seen 3 others on the road. Like all the reviewers have said, it handles well, looks great, is comfortable, has a sharp interior and gets good gas mileage. I actually like the military time on the drivers information center (DIC) and it's great on long trips. The car came loaded with features that are hard to find in other cars in this class, but, after a year and a half of ownership there are a few issues to point out. First, Saturn is going away and my car has depreciated faster than any car I've owned before, my dealer already closed which puts the nearest dealer a 3 hour drive away. I am not hard on my cars but, this car is full of interior rattles, the dash rattles, door trim rattles and the moon roof rattles. The cloth on the drivers seat is already wearing out. The driver's seat also moves like it's not firmly attached to the frame, although it is. I wish GM had not given up on this car, aside from what I've mentioned it has proven to be a reliable, comfortable car.

German Handling

by G Schillizzi from Marlbro Mass on Fri Mar 18 2011

These Astra's have superior build quality and silk like smooth handling characteristics. They handle and feel like a BMW or Benz behind the wheel. The issues that the public has with this car are laughable. If you look it up people complain about the one cupholder up front, the 24 hour clock and the lack on engine choice? It is too bad real pity that the far superior Astra gets buried by the foolish preferences of a undereducated public. This car kicks the pants off the Matrix Versa or Mazda 3. Part of the reason for the 32MPG and not 35 MPG is the stoutness of the Astra. You have to look past the numbers for the real story. The doors are heavy like a Mercedes, it is well built. The car has a strong feeling. The Honda has a plastic feel like it will be blasted off the road in a fender bender, there is more to these things than numbers.

Great Car, Great Value

by Trouble Seeker from Los Angeles, CA on Mon Jun 28 2010

I bought my 08' XR3 brand new in Jan 2008 and didn't realize what upgraded-type standard features I bought until about a month later. The stying put me into the sales office. The road handling is impeciable, my life has been saved a couple of times by the extremely responsive steering on the freeway (getting out of the way of the brain-dead drivers). The car could have a little more power, but it gets such good gas mileage, the car is forgiven. The premium sound system is great, and it comes with two features I use all the time; a digital representation of a manual radio tuner and an equalizer that works fine. My only two complaints are: 1. The "Check Water level" displays every time I start the car and sometimes as I'm driving. 2. The little hesitation when you start from a standstill; however, when driving along, the acceleration is good when you need it. I now have 55K miles on it and it is going strong. The seat height adjustment and lumbar adjustment are great. The telescopic and tilting steering wheel makes the ride comfortable. In the summertime, I am completely spoiled with the auto window-down feature when it's hot outside and my windows are down and the car is cooling off before I get to my car.

Great Car For Almost Any Purpose

by Family Hatchback Driver from Chicago, IL on Sun Mar 01 2009

I own a 2008 Astra 4 door that is silver with a black leather interior. I purchased it used with 17,000 miles on it. At the time of purchase, their was almost no wear or tear on the car, and everything worked beautifully. The real selling point for me however, was the price difference between new and used. I saved about 7,000 dollars by purchasing an 08 instead of a new 09. Let me start by saying how much I love this car. It is immensely practical for a family on a budget, such as mine. We all find it comfortable for road trips, and it's a rewarding car to drive as well. It has a peppy four cylinder engine that is smooth and responsive, with a nice automatic transmission. Another plus is the great steering wheel with control buttons on it. This car is small, so it is easy to park and maneuver in and out of traffic, but I was shocked with the interior space. It is incredible how much stuff you can fit inside of it, and the oversize sunroof makes the cabin feel open and airy. It has great seats too. Fuel economy is great. This car requires regular gas, and gets 27 mpg city, 34 highway. Im sure an Astra with a stick shift would do better, but for city driving, I prefer the automatic. I am up to 27,000 miles, and the car has been as reliable as clockwork. The bottom line is this: The Astra is absolutely the best car in its class. It looks good, drives good, and is good to your wallet.

Astra hidden Gem

by this car is a victim of disordered American taste from Westchester, NY on Mon Mar 14 2011

The 2008 Astra is a hidden gem. The car has fantastic handling, superb steering and is really fun to drive. Throughout the car the materials are all high quality. The car shares many parts with AUDI AND BMW. This car simply outclasses any and all competition. The thud of the door closing, the feel of the knobs and the sound of the engine all say one thing; quality. Combine that with fantastic gas mileage, the fact that it had the highest safety rating of many compact 2008 model and this is the leader of the market. On the downside the cupholder is in an awkward position. If you are in the market for a top class cupholder look elsewhere. For a great vehicle look here.

Saturn XR 3-door Owner

by Owner from Saint Cloud on Mon Oct 25 2010

Really enjoyed this car for comfort, economy, and price. Besides being as at the pump, it provided plenty of spunk while being sporty in the corners with sports package. Computer information center is fun to play with as well; it provides numerous driving information. Stereo is crisp.

Fantastic little car!

by RIP Saturn from Washington Twp., NJ on Mon May 02 2011

I recieved my black '08 Saturn Astra XR Coupe as a pre-graduation gift from high school. From the moment I drove it off of the showroom floor, I was recieving glances and compliments left and right. The Saturn Astra is a hidden gem, and it's a shame that it was only produced for one model year. It's sharp, quick, and very different from all of the mundane Civics, Corollas, Cobalts and Accents that crowd the road ways. From the sporty appearance of the two door, to the very comfy seats (that are heated, might I add) to the road-hugging handling that it has demonstrated for me time & time again, the Astra never fails to dissapoint (performance & appearance-wise). However, I have had a few minor problems in the two years that I have had it, but luckily they were covered under the powertrain warranty and serviced in a timely manner (driver side power window came off of the track, and a minor engine snafoo). All in all, the Astra is a fantastic car that I wish was still in production!

A fun ride, superb quality and a great value!

by Jason Sold On Astra from Golden, CO on Sun Apr 06 2008

I have owned my Astra XR 5 speed Coupe for a month. I have 1,000 miles on it, mostly in town city driving. I have not had an opportunity to take it on a road trip. This is the best compact car I have ever driven! It has all of the upscale features I wanted at a better price than I expected. I shopped every compact out there. None came close to the value and quality the Astra offers. The materials GM used are what you would expect in a luxury car. I have the leather interior which has great eye appeal. The seats are comfortable and supportive. I bought the six CD changer upgraded stereo. I would put this stereo up against any automotive sound system in the market. It has concert hall sound. I was concerned about the 138 hp engine not being able to take the foothills of Colorado here where I live. The steepest grade that I travel several times a week has a 75 mph speed limit. The Astra takes this hill in 5th gear at 80 mph with plenty of additional power to give. I have yet to find a hill where I have had to down-shift. With the 5 speed manual, you get all the power you need. And, the 5 speed has a good solid feel to it as you shift through the gears. The standard safety features on this car were very important to me - Anti-lock brakes Stability control Daytime running lights Traction control Six airbags On Star I did not find another compact car on the market that measured up in respect to safety. This car is fun to drive and looks great. It is the kind of car where you look forward to driving the twisting U.S. mountain highways. You feel like you are glued to the road. I have yet to see a posted speed limit on a curve where you could not safely exceed the posted speed by 20 mph. Last but certainly not least -> The gas mileage is outstanding. My first tank of gas returned 29 mpg in town. My last tank of gas was good for 36.5 mpg. In between I had 32 and 34 mpg. I could not be happier with this car. I would recommend the Astra to any auto enthusiast who wants a great upscale compact. The Astra is a great value for this quality of a car. This car is FUN!

MOST RELIABLE CAR I'VE OWNED

by RYAN from Denver, CO on Tue May 23 2017

THIS CAR HAS MET AND BEAT MY EXPECTATIONS OVER THE 9 YEARS I'VE OWNED IT. I BELIEVE THIS CAR STILL HAS ANOTHER 200,000 MILES TO GO, CURRENTLY HAS ONLY 70,000 MILES. THIS CAR IS WORTH THE MONEY, GETS GREAT GAS MILAGE, AND EVEN SWITCHES TO NEUTRAL WHEN YOU ARE AT A STOP LIGHT. THE INTERIOR IS INCREDIBLE FOR THE PRICE AS WELL!

Best value for your money

by John from San Diego on Mon Oct 29 2012

I bought my Astra XR 5 Door 5 Speed with 66,5 on it in 2012. I love this car. The features offered on this car are unbeatable at this price point. The panoramic sunroof, steering wheel audio controls and six CD changer. There are some small annoyances that can be overcome, I installed the after market armrest from Boomerang with great success. I have the opera 40 CD player, while the car has 7 speakers the 7th one is NOT a sub woofer as I assumed it would be, however the stock speakers are pretty good. That being said the stock amp will turn the music down automatically to save the speakers, I'm used to it now and the steering wheel controls make it easy to counteract this. The rain sense wipers are a bit odd, living in SoCal I haven't really had a chance to use them. The engine like most four cylinder engines is slow off the bat and really takes off in higher RPMs, I agree with most reviews that a sixth gear would be nice for MPG but the way it's geared with only five gives it great passing power for a smaller engine. If anyone is complaining about the reverse gear grinding try throwing it in 2nd before reverse. Engine is a BIT noisy but road noise is very minimal especially for a compact. This car is packed full of random ways to make driving easier, steering and cornering is a breeze, braking is a dream with the 4 disk brakes, let out the clutch and the car takes off even up hill and stop and go is an easy process. The turn signals also have a highway passing feature which took me a day to figure out. Overall awesome looking and awesome driving car. I haven't put any money into it aside from washes and oil changes, could not have made a better purchase.

A perfect commuter car

by Astra Owner from St Paul MN on Sun Jun 05 2011

Been driving my Astra for a couple of years now and I'm still impressed with the handling and how much fun it is to drive. Gets good mileage and it looks good. It could use a little more power and should have a 6 speed manual. Torque steer comes into play when you get on it hard but it's not a major issue. Build quality is good despite some rattles that the dealer had to fix. It's too bad they have been discontinued but due to it's Opel heritage parts should be readily available for some time to come.

thrifty fun

by manicmechanic001 from garrettsville, ohio on Sun Nov 27 2011

This car has been good so far. I must admit, the reviews I read prior to purchase all said the car could use another gear, and they're right. 3400 rpm @ 70 mph is not excessive, but not needed. GM should bring this car back to the states again, but this time make the six speed an option. The turrbo' d and cooled 2.0 would be icing on the cake. The car handles very well and pulls strong to redline. The seats are very supportive with lots of side bolstering for support when things get twisty. As far as winter traction is concerned, I don't have experience there yet. The car has uniroyals on it and dry and wet traction are very good. And for fuel economy, it hasn't disappointed either. The last six fillups have netted 31.3-33.7 m.p.g. my one complaint is the base sound system. There is no bass response @ lower listening levels. Even at higher levels, although it improves, there's still no thump. Overall, if someone I knew were loooking for a small, fun car, under $15000; I would suggest they look at the Saturn Astray 2 door.

2008 Saturn Astra XR

by kennethpeplowski from Madison Hgts Michigan on Sun Feb 05 2017

Ive owned my Saturn Astra since March of 09 . When I bought it it had less than 9k on it, it now has 33k. I like the car and have shown it at car shows throughout Michigan. It has taken its class numerous times and every time I show it people come up to me and ask about it. You wouldnt believe the people who have NEVER heard or saw an ASTRA. I am still hearing stories from people who worked on the ASTRA project and people from Britian, Germany&Austriala all positive input. Like I said earlier Ive had my ASTRA since 09 and plan to keep it

Best Saturn I've ever owned.

by thumper769 from Cleveland, OH on Tue Jul 18 2017

This Astra is a truly awesome little gem. I have owned now for 9 years and couldn't have been more happier with a car that is not only very reliable and quite dependable but really fun on the road as well. Thanks GM for bringing this diamond in the ruff over to the States.

Fun and Unique.

by Tyler from Fairfax, VA on Fri Apr 14 2017

I have had this car for over a year (15k miles), and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. I got the manual, so even though its lacking power once your in the right gear it will do just fine. The steering is quick and responsive with good feel, which makes it pretty fun on the twistiest. It has been fairly reliable and I have been averaging 29mpg. It is very practical; I can fit my entire bike with seats folded. The downsides are over hard bumps the moonroof creeks, and the glove box opens. It revs pretty high at highway speeds, turn signals are fixed in place, automatic wipers never quite work right, and parts can be difficult to get. I needed a throttle pedal position sensor and the part was in Lithuania, but after a few calls I found one at a junkyard. Despite these shortcomings it has been a solid little car which for under $4k and under 100k miles is hard to beat.

Saturn Astra XR, one of the most reliable cars

by Jerry from Ambler, PA on Fri Mar 31 2017

I purchased this 3 door, 5 speed stick XR new & have driven it 90,000 miles in combined city & highway driving. I only just replaced the back brakes for the 1st time after 7 years and 80K. The front brakes haven't required replacement and are the originals. Besides replacing the battery, one time tire replacements and a replaced computer module, this car has been a jem. It still looks modern, as it's design was a little advent-guard when it came out in Europe. Yes it's a rebadged Opel designed in Germany & assembled in Belgium. It handles like a 2000-2005 BMW 3 series ( I own one), albeit without the power. In fact, lack of power is probably the only real shortcoming, but this impacts fuel economy positively.

Best car for the money, drives amazing

by D from on Tue Jun 26 2012

The dealership treated me with great hospitality and helped me out in every way they could. Very pleased with this car.

Very Reliable Vehicle

by Charles from on Thu Mar 17 2011

This car has great gas mileage along with a stylish look. I love the handling and the feel. It is one of those cars where you feel like your riding on a cloud but can also drive as a sports car when required

impressed with fuel economy

by broken wing from Boston, MA on Thu Jul 07 2011

I've owned 3/4 ton 4x4 trucks for 30 years, with the fuel prices up to $4, I had to invest in a commuter car, and chose the 08 Saturn Astra 3 door automatic. It has all the bell and whistles of the more expensive cars, leather , heated seats, anti-skid, computer, etc. The Astra, with the 1.8 ltr engine, lacks some power and has a flat spot when passing another vehicle. Its faster than the trucks I've driven and I'm very impressed with the fuel economy of 27-34 mpg of mix use driving.

Fun to drive and great on gas

by Paul from Central VA on Sat Mar 29 2008

This car has more than adequate pep for everyday driving. I didn't even need to downshift going up a 2000 ft mountain pass and I've spun out the front wheels a number of times when accelerating from a stop. The handling is superb, it eats corners for breakfast. This car is so much fun to drive that my favorite part of the day is now my commute. The radio controls are different, but very intuitive once you realize how it works. It has a nifty feature where it can automatically pick out and preset the nine strongest stations available, making for the possibility of radio channel surfing on long trips. The car also has a nifty feature where if you hold the unlock button on the remote, it rolls down the windows to vent hot air. Slightly disappointed by the lack of aux input jack, though. The car is very comfortable. However, some of my friends have said getting in the rear seat is awkward, though it's comfortable once inside. The interior is high quality. It's fairly quiet on the inside, even though the engine revs a bit at highway speeds (3100RPM at 65mph with the 5 speed). First tank of gas was 28.5 MPG in a 40/60 mix of city and highway driving. Trip computer said my average mileage was 37 when driving conservatively on the highway.

Excellent vehicle

by AndreaB. from Jacksonville, Fl on Sun Nov 03 2019

This car has been wonderful for my family, but we are growing and are in need of a bigger SUV. It runs and drives like a dream and has low miles. It has been a great commuter car.

Form a national club for ASTRAS

by kennethpeplowski from MADISON HGTS MI on Sat Apr 29 2017

It seems there are Astra owners like myself that have had their car for quite some time . Maybe we should get together a FORM a club for ASTRA owners nation wide

Great Car

by T-Bone from Urbana, IL on Mon Jul 15 2013

The Saturn Astra is a great car. I accidentally set up an appointment to drive an Astra thinking is was an Aura. This was an oversight on my part. The car was a most pleasant surprise. It handles great! It is fun to drive and gets wonderful gas mileage. My only complaints are that the cruise control functionality is unique and there is no plug for my MP3 player in the car. My favorite things about the Astra are its excellent gas mileage, excellent handling, comfortable interior, and excellent exterior lines. I am happy to have made the purchase.

Best Cross Country Drive to Date

by FirstSaturn from Seattle, WA on Mon Sep 22 2008

This has to be one of the best buys for a car under $20,000, I purchased the 5-door XE automatic and have put about 4,000 miles on it since purchasing it in June. I just finished driving my Astra 2,500 miles cross country and I have to say we went no slower than 75 mph with gas mileage at 35 mpg for the entire trip. The car was fun to drive the entire time and the firm seats were comfortable during a long days drive. I agree with others in that is would be fantastic if there were a place to put a console in the car but that is the worst thing I can say about it. It's a head turner and a good buy for the money.

Small things should've been changed.

by NewCarGuy1014 from Ohio on Tue Aug 08 2017

A basic commuter and daily driver. Could've had a little bit bigger engine put in so it's not so go-kart like. Other than that they should have all came with the 5 speed because the 4 speed auto can be quite slow.

Most Reliable Vehicle

by MsFunnlvn from Sacramento, CA on Tue Jul 03 2018

I have owned my Saturn for 9 yrs. now, it's roomy, gets great gas mileage. Smooth ride, plenty of storage space, especially when you put the backseats down. I really like that I have a cover to close off the view into my trunk area. Comfortable backseat headrests.

Great on gas and just my size!

by SallySaturn from Zanesville, OH on Mon Jan 21 2019

Small enough to be great on gas, big enough to fit all my friends and our stuff in the hatchback trunk! Very minimal blind spots with beautiful moon roof! Definitely a car that makes you unique! I love my sally saturn !

Worse car EVER!😬

by Constant Dead Battery from Richmond, VA on Thu Aug 20 2020

Dead battery & electrical issues no dealer can figure out how to fix. Well, did you try checking loose wires under the hood? Four new batteries in one year is not the answer as a fix. Sad 😠😬😡 worse car EVER!

Wonderful Car!

by Drew from Herndon, VA on Mon Jan 16 2012

I love my Saturn Astra coupe. I am getting better than advertised mileage between 32 and 39 MPG! I enjoy have a rather unique car and am sorry that the Astra has such a short run in the US.

Most reliable, gas saver

by Saturn astra fan from Cassopolis mi on Sat Apr 14 2018

This car has plenty of leg room for 2 dr. Very cool exterior look. 17 inch stock rims. Lots of room in hatch back trunk

Fun car for the money

by I want to enjoy my commute! from Upstate NY on Mon Oct 10 2011

I bought a 3 door Astra XR, it has unbelievable handling with the 18" summer tires, could use a little more power, but with the 5 speed manual, it's pretty fun to drive anyways. Enough cargo room to make it versatile as well!

A European Gem!

by LuvmyCar from Cincinnati, ohio on Tue Jan 24 2012

The 2008 Saturn Astra XR, besides having cool, sleek European style, is a blast to drive. The handling is tight and the power just right. Manufactured in Belgium, this is not your Father's Saturn. Sporty and fun, this little car zips around town. Forget the four-door (b-o-r-i-n-g) you'll be surprised at the roominess inside this hatchback, the back seat is amazingly functional. Sad to see Saturn out of business but happy to get an incredible deal on a sporty 2008 vehicle with 36,000 miles. If you drive this car you will understand why this is one of the best selling cars in Europe.

08 astra

by Len from Pa on Mon Jan 30 2012

What a great little car. Mine is the XR 3 dr coupe and I can tell you that this is no Saturn. It's made by Opel and unlike its only competition, the VW GTI and Audi A3, it is 100% made in Germany. Handleing is superb and it has many features you either pay extra for or can't get on the competion. It is not as powerful as the other 2 but I average just under 30 mpg and have seen 38+ on the highway.At $3.50 gal, I'll take less power. GTI & A3 both require premium gas so there is more savings than just mpg's. By the way, the best mpg I ever got with my GTI was 27 hwy. The Astra 3 dr hatchback looks better, rides and handles just as nice and demands respect. For those who are brand name snobs, go by a VW or Audi. If you know and want a better quality car, check ou the Astra

Complete surprise - a real winner!

by Car enthusiast from Beaverton, OR on Thu Nov 27 2008

Owners seem to love their Astra. I can see why, now that I joined them. The buying experience was wonderful. Even the finance manager was a really nice guy! The Astra has unique styling that gets better with time. The '09 Fit looked good at first, but now it looks like a toy to me. The Mazda 3 looks similar, but I prefer the Astra's Euro styling. The interior has high quality materials, is very functional, and it's understated elegance doesn't get old. The intuitive, informative, and easy to use ?driver information center? is a gem. It works just how I'd expect, and requires very little input to access the plethora of functions. The steering wheel controls can access everything with the same minimal input. I think that deserves an award. This car was designed by smart, pragmatic people. The seats are firm but comfortable. The rear seating will be tight for 3 people, but that's not a surprise. It's a small car, so you know what you're getting into. I chose fabric seats instead of leather for various reasons (cost, maintenance, comfort) although the leather really nice, amazing for the price. I got the upgraded sound system. It sounds great. It has some unique and highly useful functions (e.g. optimizing sound for driver, front seats, or all seats). I also got the panoramic sunroof. It's huge and gorgeous. I can't wait for summer. The performance of this car is impressive. Anyone with common sense knows you can't get something for nothing. The 1.8L engine is perfect for this car. A larger engine would be more expensive (as would a turbo), and would decrease fuel economy. This engine is smooth and has a wide power band. I was wrong thinking only Japanese engines were worth anything. The 5 speed manual is a joy to use. The clutch pedal feel is perfect and the shifter is quick and precise enough. The sport suspension is amazing. It's very firm when you want it to be, but seems to soak up rough roads really well. A great feat of engineering. The brakes are outstanding. The modulation and control is excellent. Just about everything about this car is great, including the dealership experience. Make sure you give it a chance to win you over. The sale price for the 2008 makes it an unbeatable value. Now that I own it, I'd be willing to pay more. America needs a lot more cars like this!

Buying another one!

by Hippydippyluv from Dallas fort worth on Sun Jan 08 2012

We initially purchased a Honda Civic for our teenage son. It was a money pit, and instantly needed a replacement. After months of driving the ailing Civic around we found the Astra for 9,990. I was skeptical, but hopeful it was not another cheap peice of junk. Went to dealership, and test drove and was surprised by it's old school VW like drive. We purchased it, and never looked back. Right now, the teen and I share it. I use it during the day for a small maid service and average 27 miles to gallon in mixed driving. On road trips I have averaged 32 on the automatic tranmission. I will be permantely handing it over to son in May and I really wish I did not have to. The car note is cheap, and it drives better than my "luxury" kia borrego. The interior is basic, but the seats are top notch. I have back issues and have driven long trips without an issue. If you are reading this review b/c you are unsure if you should buy one, do not hesitate. This car runs like a luxury german car, without the high price tag. How many cars will you find with traction control in this price range??? I am searching for one now, so that when I hand the keys over to him I have my own set for my new Astra. That's saying something. I am very hard to please, after all I am a woman. ;)

Fun car

by JagXKR from Detroit on Sun Feb 21 2010

3dr, XR, auto, prem sound-The manual is the way to go (4 sp auto is dated) and the prem soyund is no worth the extra $$ what so ever. Handles great!!, 33mpg hwy (at 70+mph), great brakes, nice styling, lots of std. equipment. rides well considering the XR sport suspension is lowered and stiffer, engine and power is OK (could use about 20 hp more), be aware it has cam belts (not chains) and solid liters (not hydraulic), so ther is more maintence $$ in the engine ($700/every 75,000 miles for this). I got it new for $12,000 (MSRB $20,500) after all the rebates, etc, etc. For that price it was worth it, maybe $17,000 worth it, but not more. I would think when these give-away cars hit the used market, they may go pretty reasonable. A very fun handling car is it best features.

Great Car!!!

by Astra's Fan from Stockton, CA on Sun Oct 19 2008

I bought the Astra 3-door XR manual transmission two months ago and I just absolutely loved it. The only reason I bought this car because it's an Opel Astra (German Automaker) and it's being selling under Saturn in US. I know Opel cars are really really good and I get the European car feeling while driving this car. I would recommend buying this car with manual transmission rather than automatic because the engine gives better performance in manual than automatic. Pros: Great drive, handling, looks, interior, and styling. Cons: No auxiliary and the mp3 audio in car doesn't support multi session CD's, the engine feels little bit underpowered.

One of the best vehicles I have ever had

by sasquatch from Peterborough Ontario Canada on Mon Aug 17 2015

I bought a 2008 Saturn Astra XE 4door hatchback in 2012. When I got it it had 67000Kms on it and the asking price was less the 20,000. I put a lot of mileage on my cars and this one was no exception. Until the Radiator came apart recently I had no significant issues with it. At almost 242000kms I have no complaints. When you put on 175000kms in 3.5 yrs that is alot for any vehicle. It had great fuel economy, great handling and tended to make you feel like you were in a bigger vehicle then you actually were. The headlight sensors were great but the rain sensor sometimes didn't swipe enough or swiped too much but that was easy to overcome. I loved the traction assist as I had to used it periodically, just don't leave it on while driving it consumes a lot more fuel. The traction control worked beautifully as did the breaking assist when going down steep hills. I loved this car and will miss it. Will definately recomend it to other drivers!!

Best compact car in it's class!

by Brett from California on Mon Jan 21 2008

There is a reason this is the number one selling car in Europe. Valleydrive does not know ,he drove a preproduction model. The saleable units just got on the lots. Some of it's excellent features include: superb handling, spacious well designed and well built interior, very cool stereo system, huge dual sunroof, beautiful exterior, Onstar, nice shifting transmission(drove a manual) full safety features, good gas mileage. My one and only complaint is that the engine could be more powerful. For most people it will be fine, but they should add the turbo and desiels from Europe. If you want a compact car, buy it.

So far so good.

by THE BEAR from SE, Pennsylvania on Thu Aug 14 2008

We just got this car last week. We noticed the ASTRA actually by accident. We were really considering the PONTIAC VIBE. But after we found out it was made in Europe we gave it a second look and decided on buying the XE version. It seems to be very well built, with a good sounding door slam and nice solid ride. I wish though it had a more powerful engine, but we were looking for economy anyway and I feel as though it is fine for our driving needs. After all it is not a Corvette. The buttons on the dash are a little quirky and so are the turn signals but, we will get used to it. We did go for the aftermarket armrest, and believe me it was well worth it. But, pay the price and let the dealer install it. It was well worth it. It is not an easy install for the mechanically challenged. The car really has a lot of features for the money and hopefully the gas milage is as good as they say. It only has a 12 gallon tank, so hopefully it is true. We got it in black and the color is really sharp. If you look at it in the sunlight it seems to give off a purplish tint. A nice touch. The seats are comfortable and you really don't feel as though you are in a small car. The dealer was very nice, but they tried to sell us some useless aftermarket warranties and protection packages. You dont need any of it. I am lookng forward to many good years with the car. If anything else does develop you can be sure I will write again. But for now, so far so good.

Excellent value for the money

by Gauhog from Wilmington DE on Mon Sep 08 2008

My car is a 3-door XR 5-speed. Most of the reviews and road test coments were right on the money. The car is well made and solid feeling. The fit and finish are very good. The only problem with the car so far was with delivery. I wanted Silver, with 18" wheels, 6-disc CD player, and leather with a 5-speed and I had to wait 31/2 months. I missed the initial dealer encentives and after taking delivery GM then introduced Employee Pricing; I missed both. I have had the car on a few long trips and the gas mileage is always over 35 mpg at 65- 70 . I don't drive too much faster in cruise because the Ecotec gets a little buzzy. The car also gets quite a few looks because there are not too many on the road. I am very pleased so far.

Great tradeup from a Toyota Corolla S 2005 model

by Rick from Oxnard on Wed Oct 21 2009

I traded up to my Astra from a 2005 Corolla S which has been the best car decision that I've ever done. The 2005 Corolla was cheaply made, bounced all over the road, and had a poor ride and safety overall. In contrast, my Astra holds the road excellent, has a smooth ride for a small car, and the doors have a solid thud every time you shut them. It's very quite as well. This car is built my the German car company Opel. You get German quality and engineering in this car. I owned my first one in Australia where they are very popular models. I will never own another low quality Toyota again after this car.

Why Americans do not like hatchbacks?

by B&H Astra from California on Sun Aug 22 2010

I owe Astra XR 5 door since Aug, 2008. I still enjoy my car very much but I do have mixed feelings about features, performance and generally ownership of my Astra... PROS: exterior styling, this car is all about looks, one of the best sellers (as Opel Astra) in Europe for years, features (one touch windows down, real automatic "daylights"), leather seats, reliability... CONS: GM management, Saturn brand is dead - Astra's feature in this country is dead, engine - not refined enough, ONLY 5 speed manual transmission - needs 6th speed, no aftermarket parts!

1995 ford contour

by Ellie from Vermont on Sat Feb 16 2008

the saturn is a great car, good milage and handles well. really hugs the corners. the snow mode is a nice addition and helps a lot. My only complaint is the cup holder. There is one that is almost in the back seat and you have to be somewhat of a contortionist to reach it while driving. Maybe this isn't a problem for taller people but us short folks it just doesn't work. It has a nice sounding steroo system and a surprising amount of room for its size. Mine is a four door, well I guess they call it a five door, with the sun roof with sun screen. except for the cup holder it is a fine car and I would recomend it to others if they want a dependable car that is realy good on gas.

Saturn Astra yet another poorly made German car

by Mitt from Fort Thomas, Kentucky on Sat Jul 25 2020

As someone who has done all my mechanical work on my vehicles over the last 40 years, this car is VERY POORLY engineered like MOST ALL German made cars. (Greatest lie ever told is that German made cars were well made/engineered)What a mistake I made in purchasing this car. Too many problems to list. Underpowered, no planning in design of engine components, etc.

Saturn Astra

by Rulex94 from Lyndhurst, OH on Tue Aug 01 2017

This car's interior was very well kept! Exterior was also in great shape. I didn't like how jerky the breaks were and I didn't feel comfortable driving this vehicle. I didn't want to take it for a test drive on the freeway because of the way it felt driving.

1965 Chevy Nova

by ValleyDrive from Los Angeles, CA on Wed Dec 05 2007

Got a chance to drive the car at one of the Saturn 'early introduction' events. Not a bad car, but I was expecting it to be a bit more exciting, with some pizzazz. While there's the novelty of a European car being imported to the US, it's nothing more than that. If you're going to bring a car over from Europe, I think you would want to make some accommodation to the American market. So, I was disappointed to note that a few 'standard' features on American cars haven't been added - I'm not talking about expensive things, but 'convenience' things. For example, the cup holders are mediocre, in fact it's 'a cup holder' for the two people in the front seat. I know this is a European/American thing, but it can't be that difficult to adapt a feature like this. There's also no driver's side arm rest for the driver's right arm. I'm guessing that for Europeans most models are sold with standard transmissions and this isn't such a big deal. But here in Southern CA where this car is going to be purchased with an automatic transmission and we sit in a lot of traffic, you want to be able to adjust your body and lean to the right. Lastly, call me whiny, but there's no input for an iPod or other MP3 player. I'm driving a Honda Element now and it came with an iPod input. (I know not all cars do; I'm surprised that my wife's Lexus 330 doesn't have one either.) These are just three things that struck me as a lack of attention to detail or localization. And while I imagine these things would add to the cost of the vehicle, I can't imagine they would be thousands, let alone hundreds, of extra dollars. When I took a look at the Mini Clubman at the LA Car Show the Mini people said there was either a simple iPod input for 'free,' or as an add-on, an input that would use the Mini's installed sound system to stream the band/song info. That's cool!

Solid, safe and fuel-eficient-- I like it!

by TDsmile from Twin cities, MN on Thu Dec 06 2018

This car is a wonderful car for a practical person who has a variety of needs for transportation. I can put on my bike rack and go, or pull a trailer full of leaves or the snow-blower for repair. It holds 3 people comfortably, and 4 if the driver and passengers are of average size. I love the durable exterior and the convenience. It is safe and practical.