Model Details

4.4
Average based on 24 reviews

Great weird car

by from Pensylvania on August 5, 2010

I have a 16 year old who was getting his permit. I was driving a 2003 Camry with a stick shift, and no ABS or traction control. I was also ready for an automatic after 30+ years of driving stick. The Camry was reliable, but treacherous in the snow or heavy rain. i wanted something safer for my son. I also haul kids with snowboards a lot. The Scion Xb is like a Tardis (Dr. Who fans understand), small on the outside, and cavernous on the inside. I'm 6 foot as are my sons; we can all sit comfortably. ABS, traction control and curtain airbags are standard, so I'm very confident that it is safe for my son. The driving dynamics are pretty good, for something that sits as high as it does, it is fun to fly around in. It has enough power to allow for decent acceleration, and a relatively smooth ride for a small car. Although it is only a 4 speed automatic, shifting is very smooth, and it has a rudimentary "tap" shift function which was really nice in the snow. My only complaint with the ride is that it isn't great in strong cross winds, but then it is shaped like a billboard. Performance in the snow is good. I keep constant track of my mileage and I'm getting between 27 and 29 MPG in mixed driving, which includes a lot of 70+ MPH cruising. The standard stereo has an ipod interface, which is ok, but the buttons that control the ipod are fiddly to the point of distraction. the sound is good, though. i have read complaints about the upright driving position, but I really don't have a problem with it. I've driven much less comfortable cars. I have two complaints; the sunroof, or rather the lack of one. My last couple of cars had sunroofs, and I didn't realize how much I appreciated them until I didn't have one. XBs do not come with sunroofs. My other complaint is the gas gauge. It will be on empty, the low fuel light will be on, and the range indicator is at zero. I've yet to put more than 12 gallons in to fill it up. So the gauge is quite pessimistic. Bottom line, if you want a reliable, funky car, that is safe, fun and cheap, this may be the one.

Grandma's Ghetto Bus

by from Valley Forge, PA on October 14, 2011

Oh the nonsense I got when I brought my Scion home. My kids call it Grandma's Ghetto Bus. I love it. I have issues getting in and out of cars, and it's perfect for these old bones. I like its zippy acceleration for my highway commute, but the ride is hard. Spoiled by my old Avalon! Huge inside. Seat is big, doesn't cut off in wrong spot. Backseat is easy to get into, as well. Easier than my daughters expensive SUV. When I replaced the factory tires with high end tires, I got a softer ride and plowed through all the bad PA winter weather. My 6'2" son loves to drive it. Corners well.

Fantastic Cars

by from Rochester NY on February 25, 2011

Worry free driving. Two years owning this car and not one problem. Gas mileage is better than what EPA estimates when you don't rev up too much. Great engine with good power.

I love Toast

by from Rayville, LA on December 12, 2011

I love my Scion Xb. There are many accessories that can be purchased to make this vehicle more custom and luxurious. The leather seat option was not available in the scion that I purchased but Katskin makes a custom leather seat cover that looks factory. There is alot of room compared to a car. The gas mileage could be better I think, but the get up and go is nice. I thought that this vehicle being a 4 cylinder wouldn't be spunky but it is powerful for it's size motor. The only complaint that I have is the fact that the air condiitioner settings are manual, where I was spoiled to my digital setting in my Ford Edge. For the price.. this vehicle is great.

Very Spacious, and Gas Efficient Cute Car

by from Santa Rosa, california on August 25, 2008

Impressive acceleration! Exterior design is soothing to the eyes (in fact very cute), roomy inside. One thing I like too is the height of the vehicle is not to low neither not too high. Another plus is the ease of maneuvering. It is also a parking space friendly vehicle - and saves a lot of space in my garage! It would really look better if roof rack is a standard feature; which will also make the height look a little bit taller. Since, there's enough room overhead, a sunglass holder or a pocket pouch would be nice to have in the center overhead. If I have enough money, I will trade-in one of my old cars and buy another one with a different color.

This has been the best vehicle I have owned.

by from Louisville, KY on July 8, 2010

I have recommended this car to my friends. It is very roomy especially if you are a tall person. It gets great gas mileage.

Fun to Drive

by from Charlotte, NC on September 6, 2008

Currently in the middle of my 2nd long vacation drive, and the car has been a joy to drive. The storage space is great, it is easy to handle, and big hills are no problem. Have been getting 31-32 mpg on the trip, exceeding my expectations.

Scion xB

by from Richfield, WI on June 29, 2011

Absolutely a great vehicle. Sat inside one for the 1st time at the Spring 2011 auto show. We were surprised at the amount of interior space the vehicle had since it does not look that big from the outside. Gas mileage is good - about 29-30mpg in combined city/highway driving. It could use a lower final gear ratio since 70mph is about 2,800rpm on the tach. Great acceleration and it has a tight turning radius. It could also use a bigger fuel tank since the range is about 300 miles between fill-ups. Very quiet inside but it could use some insulation under the hood. We have had the car for 3 months and put about 4,000 miles on it without any problems. Yes, we would buy another one.

Reliable and functional for carrying

by from Macon GA on October 11, 2011

Reliable, 25 mpg combined, seats are uncomfortable, hard ride, but it has no problems, so it is worth keeping for that reason. Rear seat folds down flat so it carries a lot of stuff easily.

Better than I expected

by from Pittsburgh , PA on April 6, 2009

I drive alot ! I put over 12K a year on a car. I just purchased this and took it on an 800 mile sales trip. I loved it. It was very comfortable , easy to drive, and great on gas .. I would buy this car over and over again. I test drove a Camry and this car drives better in my opinion.