Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2009 ForTwo

2009 smart ForTwo

2009 smart ForTwo

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2009 smart ForTwo?

smart is for the right audience

by Performance Driver from Rockford, MI on Mon Jul 27 2009

The smart is the vehicle journalists love to hate. That's why I suggest it is a vehicle for the right audience. Perhaps the reason it took 10 years to get them in America is that the manufacturer was right, most Americans won't understand the smart. If you are a driving enthusiast, like to drive a manual through the gears, and prefer total control over your driving experience, you will love the smart. My passion cabrio with its paddle shifting (automated clutch) is pure fun to tool around in. If you are an automatic based get me from point A to point B driver looking for ultra-high mileage, you'll hate the smart. It's not meant to be driven like an SUV. Think of a smart being to an SUV what a jet-ski is to a pontoon boat. Two different vehicles for two different purposes and experiences. After you gain experience with its unique transmission, you'll find you are more often the lead vehicle off from a stoplight and because it sits so high, you'll notice the larger SUVs on the road look smaller than they do from a sedan. You should not purchase a smart for mileage, but its 38-41 mpg certainly doesn't hurt. You should not purchase a smart as a family car as it has only two seats, but for a two seat car, it has a wealth of space. Probably more leg room than what you're currently driving. Where beauty is in the eye of the beholder, safety is not. A vehicle that looks safe may place you in high danger; always consult the various safety crash centers' reports to know how a vehicle fares in crashes. When you do, you may be surprised to find that a smart is safer than many vehicles on the road when hit by an SUV sized vehicle, especially in the most common forms of accidents. Lastly, the smart is in a class of its own. The other small vehicles often compared to the smart are in their own class (4-seats, more cargo space, etc.) and do better for their purpose. There will be more smart-class vehicles coming in the near future to compare to, so consider a smart because you want a reasonably priced fun vehicle. Its a great starter vehicle for those who want to get into learning to drive a manual without the learning curve of how to use a clutch (because there isn't one) making it a whole 45 second learning investment.

Awesome!

by Sam from Abingdon, MD on Tue Oct 11 2011

i love the car. The brakes are not has hard as people stay and you just have to get use to the transmission. But going 80mph on the highways is still as smooth as silk. I recommend it to anyone outhere looking for a small car with good mpgs.

Most fun and economical I'v owned

by smarty from Atwater CA on Fri Mar 04 2011

A great LITTLE CAR it has more power than most mid size cars ,handles well and on the freeway you don't feel like your in a small car and at the gas station you can smile 40 to 45 MPG in town and hiway driving ave. Love it.

Great for Me

by Susan from Dallas on Fri Oct 09 2009

I have had this car for nearly a year, and I love it! Smart is a perfect second/third car for our family which includes a Suburban that we drive only when hauling a load, and a Camry hybrid. This is the car I take everywhere, since my life is 90% commuting to work, doing errands, and traveling around the metroplex. In the drivers seat, I love the roomy interior space, the high eye level position vis a vis other cars, and parking flexibility.There is surprising space for groceries, golf clubs, etc. It is still a bumpy ride on bad roads, and high winds on a lonesome highway are a challenge. It is a city car.

great car for it's purpose!!

by Spud from Tuscaloosa Al. on Fri May 01 2009

I have had the car 3 months an now have 5000 miles.I drive 80 miles a day to work and have never had any problems.The car has limits such as high wind days or large trucks but I am getting 45 Mpg highway so I will take the good with the bad.Fun to drive an always have to answer questions anywhere I go!!

Nice car for the money....

by 2smart from Sidney, Il on Tue Jul 28 2009

Since I own 2, a pure w/ac and a Cabrio let me set the record straight on some previous comments. Yup the Pure is a stripper basic car a/c optional roll up windows, radio optional but just add a/c and after market radio and you're still under 13K. And power steering? Is not needed, really total stop I can turn the wheel lock to lock with 1 finger. And don't know where you all live but mine goes up a hill at 70mph+ no problem. We put over 2,000mi a month on each of ours and have no problem or fear driving next to or passing a semi might want to check your tire pressures if you have problems. Tata is not making the same car for 3k any normal intelligent person can see that. Has more leg room than most cars I've owned (I'm 6ft) and plenty of cargo area for the grocery run I can get 6-bags without stacking 8 with some creative positioning. Average 42-mpg (city/highway mix). We've had the Pure for 14-months and the Cabrio for 7-months. And these are our ONLY cars. Not a car for everyone but if you don't mind odd quirks then it might just be a fun car for you!

Love this car!

by Becky from Plymouth Indiana on Wed Oct 07 2009

We bought our Smart in August, 2009. ABSOLUTLY LOVE THIS CAR!! We have driven form Plymouth IN to Indianapolis several times on the main highway, our smart handles wonderfully. We have no problem staying around 70mph with the other traffic. Passing is not a problem. the car handles well in and out of traffic, braking is terrific even in heavy rainstorms. No hydroplaning, nothing. We have driven in the extremely high winds for the last week and our Smart handles as well as our caravan. Matter of fact the caravan tend to sway in the high wind...now while we can feel the wind in the Smart it stayed right on course and never once did we feel it wasn't adequate for the drive. We are so comfortable in it we drive it every where. I can get quite a few bags of groceries with no problem 10 paper bags easily. As for mileage we are getting 42 MPG in town in stop and go traffic. Premium is preferred but regular unleaded is okay also. this car is fun fun fun to drive! The handling is perfect !!! It has traction contro so I look forward to driving in the snow. If you are looking for a small car that handles great, gets good gas mileage and you want it for running around not toting kids and hauling lots of big stuff this is the car for you!! We can't wait to be able to get our second one!!! We have a dodge caravan for family times and a Dodge Neon for other times but we love to drive the Smart Car most!!!

First car in years that I could say is FUN

by High Performance from Los Angeles, CA on Wed Oct 07 2009

I've had my SMART Passion 4 2 for about 6 months now - and I still love it. I wasn't sure about it prior to the purchase because I've always loved high performance cars - we used to build street-legal drag racers and I drove them at the strip - but once I got used to the handling and the size - I LOVE this car. I'm getting about 33 mpg in town - and 45 mpg on the freeways - it handles well at relatively high speeds (I've tested it up to 93 - though they told me the governor would hold it at 90). I'm not sure I'll like it if there's a high wind - but everything else it seems to do fine with!

cute, fun, practical

by smart consumer from Ann Arbor MI on Tue May 26 2009

I love everything about this car except the lack of cruise control. The 2009 transmission is improved from 2008. Well designed, handles high speed well, comfortable for people over 6 feet. My large dog fits easily in the hatch. Very worth the money. Love the moon roof in the passion coupe model.

6,000 miles and I still love it!

by Ozzie from Miami, FL on Tue Jul 28 2009

I first saw the car on a New story here in South Florida, I went to a dealer and they didn't have any for me to test drive, and it was a 10 month wait after I placed my order to receive delivery. I left and kind of forgot about it, Fast forward 12 months almost to the week and I was driving along in another state and drove by a dealership that seemed to have several outside. Pulled in and Test drove one that afternoon. I ended up buying the top of the line hard top model and have loved every minute of it since. I've had big Luxury Imported SUV's and also have classic American cars and for the money, this little car has everything I need. It took a few days to get used to the shifting characteristics of it's transmission, but that's the only thing I'd change in the car if I could. I've added several things like Cruise control, fog lights, cold air intake, etc.. and There is nothing I would change about the car. In the last 4 months of owning it, I've driven it over 6,000 miles, even a drive from Washington DC to Miami, FL and it was a pleasure. In the rain, in Hail and even in the snow, the car does what it should. I will say that it is a small car, and like ALL small cars, if your driving 70 on the highway and a Semi passes you at 85, you will feel the wind push you, but you get used to it after a few times. I feel safe enough in the car to use it all the time as my main form of transportation. Thankfully I can afford alot of the cars out there, but why pay for parts of the car I personally don't use. I fit 2 weeks worth of groceries in the car, and that's enough for me. Love it.

Our Take on the 2009 smart ForTwo

Considering that the leading concern about small cars is safety, I initially thought I might be the wrong person to review the Smart ForTwo, which is the only microcar sold in the U.S. Perhaps because I have a good record behind the wheel, I'm never nervous driving anything, regardless of size or style — from a featherweight 2000 Honda Insight to a medium-duty tow truck. As it turns out, this is exactly why I'm the right person for the job of reviewing the ForTwo. I've ridden motorcycles, I log many miles in my Mazda Miata and I even own a 30-year-old Fiat — and driving the Smart ForTwo scares the crap out of me.

Though there's something to be said for size and... Read More