2009 ForTwo

2009 smart ForTwo

2009 smart ForTwo

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2009 smart ForTwo?

best car

by kim from boaz,al on Mon Apr 22 2013

i want to say that russell sconyers was awesome, he knew his product and was good at what he does. he asked great questions and listned , who does that anymore

100 % reliable

by JD from North Shore, MA on Mon Jul 05 2010

No, this car is not a Cadillac, so don't expect it to ride like one. No it's not an SUV or station wagon or pickup truck, so don't expect it to perform like one. Even though it's a 2-seater, don't expect it to perform like a Corvette. I didn't, and now I'm completely thrilled with my smart fortwo. Had it for 7 months, 6000 miles. No problems. Averaging 38.5 MPG (which includes all winter with snow tires, mostly around town driving. Have gotten 44.53 MPG. Uses 91 octane, which costs 20 to 30 cents more per gallon, so it costs me about $1.00 to $1.80 more per fillup -- I can take that. Bumpy roads = bumpy ride, smooth roads = smooth ride. Lots of smiles from everybody I see.

Great car

by Justin from Florida on Thu Dec 23 2010

I picked up the 2009 smart new in december 2008. I drive ALOT because of my business. Coming from a Lexus SC to to the smart car is a hug difference but not in a bad way. The car has saved me quite a bit of money for example... 46.8mpg on my last fill up! I got rear ended @10mph and also got backed into in a parking lot on the drivers side door and NO DAMAGE! not even a scratch! The doors do not dent easily at all, if that was my lexus the repair bill would be $500+ I take it on the highway all the time at 70-80mph and the only time there is a little instability is if the wind is blowing 20+moh. The only thing I think they should improve is.. 1. offer regular gas option 2. bring diesel to the US 3. cruise control (dones not come with, but you can get it) 4. number of available smart centers in the US, I do all the work myself but it would be great to have one thats closer than a 2.5hr drive away. Overall the car has saved me a ton of money on gas and repair bills/maintinance bills. Solid car.

Super fun to drive.

by Smart 1 from Washington, DC on Tue Feb 14 2012

I drive a few miles to work each day. The gas economy is excellent. I have the cabrio an I like that I can drop the top when I am moving down the road. Very fun car to drive. The wind will blow it around on the highway if it is a windy day and you have to watch following a semi truck because you will be blown around by the wind coming off the truck. But for city driving it is a lot of fun. The cargo area is plenty big enough for groceries and light shopping.

smart is bigger than you think

by smart fan from Washington DC on Thu Dec 09 2010

I like how comfortable the smart is to drive. Lots more room than I thought. Performance is excellent in the urban environment.

I laugh at the gas station

by My Smart Car's name is "Bieber" from on Mon Dec 19 2011

I love my car! It gives me great gas mileage and its truly comfortable to drive in. I just took it to my 1st road trip and it was awesome! I drove 349 miles on 1 Full Gas Tank!! The only bad thing I'm still not comfortable with is how much people stare at me when I'm driving it.

There are better choices

by Jay from Tampa on Fri May 22 2009

I was one of the first to make deposit and bought one, thinking it would be the perfect commuter from the suburb to the city. Wrong! Driving this toy in bumper-to-bumper traffic has shortened my life by a few years due to the nasty transmission. The behavior of the dumb transmission alone warrants changing this car's name. It's only good for running the the grocery store and back. Oh, I forgot: you can only carry a few brown bags. I gave the bug to my niece, who only cares about the attention she's getting from driving it.

Does not recommend this car!!

Smart car is a gold mine

by Smart Car Buyer from Ft. Myers, FL on Fri Jan 18 2013

The Smart line is due for a new body style in 2014 utilizing a body made of carbon fiber and solar cell film in the roof. No idea what it will cost. 2009 Smart convertibles can now be purchased for less than $10,000 with 5000-20000 miles on them. This car is safe. It gets over 50mpg. The sticker says 41 but that was done to appease regulators after test vehicles in very hot climates with the air on full got 41 or higher. Insurance is $300-500/year full coverage. This car is a bargain and never needs maintenance.

Buy something different

by Ted from Long Beach from long beach, ca on Sun Jul 19 2009

I bought this car thinking it would be fun to drive, cheap, etc. I was wrong. Cheap: Even for a stripped down version - it will cost 13k.....15k+ if you want "conveniences" like a/c, power steering and a radio...etc. The car gets 43...44 mpg highway (maybe) but you have to buy premium gas....so if you think if it in real terms the reality is that it gets 38-39 mpg in regular gas (factoring a 10-15% higher price for premium) Driving - Uhhhh.....it may have the protective cell...but realistically it seems unsafe.....forget about wind or driving next to a speeding truck....or going up hill w/o falling to 45 mph the reality (myself included) is that th only reason to buy this cars is that it is cool/unique....but the novelty wears off in about a month. Tata motors is making the same car for 3k.... Spend 15-16 k get a car w/ no power or cargo and gets good but not hybrid mileage....or spend 21-22k get a hybrid get 50 mpg.....be able to haul stuff...drive w/ regular gas....have more features....no brainer.... It's cool to drive....but the first grocery shopping makes you reconsider....

Does not recommend this car!!

My Plan

by Sky from Nashville, TN on Fri Apr 08 2011

I Like This 2009 Smart And Planning To Get It It's Great With The Gas Mileage And I Think It's Fun To Drive !

Our Take on the 2009 smart ForTwo

Considering that the leading concern about small cars is safety, I initially thought I might be the wrong person to review the Smart ForTwo, which is the only microcar sold in the U.S. Perhaps because I have a good record behind the wheel, I'm never nervous driving anything, regardless of size or style — from a featherweight 2000 Honda Insight to a medium-duty tow truck. As it turns out, this is exactly why I'm the right person for the job of reviewing the ForTwo. I've ridden motorcycles, I log many miles in my Mazda Miata and I even own a 30-year-old Fiat — and driving the Smart ForTwo scares the crap out of me.

Though there's something to be said for size and weight in an automobile collision... Read More