2010 ForTwo

2010 smart ForTwo

2010 smart ForTwo

3.6

Have You Driven the 2010 smart ForTwo?

Perfect commuter vehicle

by Love My Smart from Houston, TX on Mon Nov 15 2010

My husband and I bought 2 Smarts in 2008, keeping our minivan for the times we need to carry more people. The 2 Smarts and the minivan all fit in our 2-car garage. The Smarts are so maneuverable and fun to drive, we find that we never get the van out. The ride is rough, but it is not a problem because I am not expecting a luxury car ride - and the car is small enough to avoid most of the potholes on my normal route. AC cuts 4 to 5 miles off the miles-per-gallon, but it does keep the car comfortable even in Houston. Cargo capacity is ample for normal shopping, and we have even carried large items by leaving the tailgate open and tying them down. Driving long distances would be better if it had cruise control.

Very nice commuter car

by Always looking for a better car/truck/van from St Petersburg, FL on Fri Dec 24 2010

We've owned our 2009 Smart Passion Convertible for two years, and love it. We ordered ours with every available option. We're getting 36 mpg A/C ON, and 39 mpg A/C OFF in mostly city driving. It's not meant to be a sports car. It's a commuter car. Driving around town in the auto mode, the transmission shifts smoothly. If you like jack-rabbit starts and race-car shifting, look elsewhere. The best car ever for parking in tight spots. Raise or lower the top on-the-go. Best MPG's for a non-hybrid. We own a Sprinter Van and an Outback, but do 80% of our driving in the Smart Car.

WORST OF THE WORST!

by FORMER SMART OWNER from Seattle on Sat Jul 03 2010

I intended my smart car for use as strictly a commuter car for driving here in Seattle. The Smart can't even get that right! For 14k this car was dead last in every aspect except for fuel economy which was about 34mpg. Even 34mpg isn't that great. When commuting, I would always worry about turning into traffic on an intersection because of the pitifully slow acceleration. 0-40 in about 8 seconds. 0-60 somewhere over 13 sec. Whats worse is the powertrain. The poor shifting frankly made me ill along with the choppy ride over the snallest bumps. All this along with the pricetag give me no choice but to rate this "The Worst Car on the Road" It's no wonder that I see so many of these things on used car lots. I traded mine for a Toyota Corolla which cost me the same price as the Smart.

A fun car to drive

by Jesse from Cary, North carolina on Tue Nov 09 2010

I have a 2008 passion. I have personally driven it 22 K both to commute to work and on trips. I have driven it on trips of 700, 1100, and 1300 miles. It never faltered or strained even though I was driving through the mountains of West Virginia. I is very much fun to drive as you fel as though you are part of the car since it is so small. It turns tight and handles very well. The acceleration is not so great but I use the manual shift function so I can wind it out to the next gear. The sound system is really good and the small cockpit acts as a sound chamber. Only problems I had had were (1) seat adjuster mechanism broke on driver's side as plastic license plate got stuck under the carpet (2) Latch on hatchback had to be replaced. Overall - I like the car and prefer to drive this versus my other car. One huge concern though is safety. Although the steel roll cage is very strong - I doubt anyone would survive any crash with a bigger car.

I Feel so Stupid!

by Sill from LA on Sat Jun 12 2010

Me and my girlfriends thought this car was so cute so I ordered a Smart Passion. Now I regret just looking at it! It's so small, I can only fit my purse in the trunk! Shopping with my best friend, Not Happening!!! The mileage isn't that great either not to mention driving this car on the highway is a terrifying experience! I absolutely hate this car. The Smart's cute but it's completely useless!!!

LAME!!!!!

by Eric from LA on Thu Jun 17 2010

I wanted a car to commute back and forth to work so I purchased a Smart car for 16k. I didn't care about cargo space or horsepower. I just wanted something economical and a good daily driver. The Smart FAILS in both respects. Not only is the Smart mediocre on economy, driving it has almost caused me a nervous breakdown. If you are unfortunate enough to own this car, you'll find out real quick that other drivers have absolutely no respect for this vehicle. The Smart is an absolute nightmare on the highway too. Any passing car will cause the Smart to loose stability. Smart? Forget It.

Smart Survivor

by No more awful commutes from Memphis on Mon Aug 02 2010

I bought a Smart Passion here in Memphis for 18k. The fun of this car wears out quickly after a few months and I found out that this car is nothing but a pain in the a**. The Smart can't even manage the smallest of bumps God forbid you hit a pothole. Make sure your chiropractor isn't too far away! The engine is just behind the seats under a small lid. It gets pretty hot in Memphis during the Summer and the heat from the droaning engine leaks into the passenger compartment. The A/C can't even keep up. The acceleration is deplorable with the A/C off. With it on, the Smart will likely reach 60mph in about 25 or so seconds! The only reason anyone would give this piece of trash a good rating is to reinforce the worst purchase of their lives. What a total disaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got rid of it and bought a Toyota Corolla brand new for less money than the Smart.

LOVE IT...LOVE IT...LOVE IT

by Smarter than the Average Bear from Tampa, Fl on Sat Jul 24 2010

With all of the negative reviews on this website, I thought I should put in a good word for the Smart car. Firstly, you have to have a secure personality to really appreciate this marvel of design and engineering for what it really is - a car that puts the fun in functionality. Granted, it does not ooze luxury lke some of the gas guzzling mastodons you see on the road. It also needs a person who can actually drive behind the steering wheel to really appreciate the handling and enjoyment that this diminutive jewel has to offer. I prefer to completely avoid using the fully automatic mode and even to refrain from using the tiptronic paddle shifters whilst flinging 'baby' around the corner - the 'manual' semi-automatic shift offered by the gear lever allows you to change gear up or down whilst turning the tightest of corners, providing the constantly giggling driver with a surprisingly exhilirating experience. I am six feet tall and 210 lbs, but feel just as comfortable in 'baby' as I do in my F150. In fact, I feel far more comfortable when parking or filling up at the gas station. The base models are probably a little disappointing, but, with a few upgrades such as electric windows, alloy wheels, moon roof, a/c etc, the Smart car really does live up to it's name in this day and age. The positive comments from bystanders whenever I park is a plus. Driving many different cars for the last 25 years has never given me so much fun.

What a joke!!!!

by Silesian from Illinois on Sat May 15 2010

I went for a test drive the other day to see if all these reviews I read were true. They're not! This car is not fun to drive whatsoever. The engine drones like a sick dog if you try to pass someone on the street and the transmission is even worse. With the paddle shift automatic, this car just rediculous. If I want to change gears, there's about a one second delay between me shifting and the car shifting. The Smart's roominess is a shame. Grocery shopping? Forget about it. You'll have to go alone, fold the passenger seat down and you still won't fit the groceries inside! Amazing! I would have to buy another car just to run basic errands. The Smart's not cheap either. It should cost around 5 to 7 thousand dollars, but I've seen them at the dealer anywhere from 15 to 20 thousand. What's funny is that people actually pay that kind of money for the Smart car! Maybe the car is "Smart", but the people buying them are pretty dumb. Do yourself a favor, get a Civic or Corolla for the same money.

Love the car

by Teacher from Dallas, texas on Sat Oct 09 2010

had it a couple years, still love it. It is just a happy car, still gets stares from people all the time. We have taken it for long trips, and found it comfortable. We are averaging high 30's for overall use, easily getting over 40 on highway with air conditioner blowing. Only real knock would be road noise is a little high on the highway.