2000 Subaru Outback

Good reliable vehicle. Never had big problems.

by from MI on August 23, 2017

Had this vehicle for about a year and only had to get one wheel bearing and the breaks fixed. It was reliable and my daily driver.

Really its better then it seems

by from Geneva, NY on August 3, 2017

This car is a 1997. However, the drop down bar wouldn't go that far in years. I have owned this car now for six years and before that my father owned it for 14 years. It has been amazing to drive it all over the country and even off the road a little. Turns amazing during the winter and has no problem commuting.

Uses car for Transportingfamily

Most reliable car that I have owned

by from Sleepy hollow, New York on July 25, 2017

This is car is very dependable, nothing like the awd system in the snow, the car is very comfortable even for its age. Overall just a wonderful car

Goes the Distance

by from Spring Creek, NV on July 14, 2017

I have 234,000 miles on my Subaru and it still gets 27 mpg. Hard to argue with the longevity and fuel economy. Also goes great in the snow.

Best car I've ever owned.

by from Broomfield, Colorado on May 6, 2017

I love my 1997 Outback and have been exceedingly happy with it for the last twenty years!!! I had to choose "2000" because you didn't offer "1997."

I own a 2004 Forester and needed another auto.

by from Florida on February 8, 2017

I loved the Subaru I own and bought the 2000 Outback for that reason. The price as right and the Outback meet all my expectations.

12 years and going strong

by from Rhode Island - Ohio on April 28, 2012

I bought this car new and it has been great. I chose it for the look, handling and the AWD for New England winters when I was commuting quite a distance to work. It never failed me. I have had to do some minor repairs on the exhaust system and a torn CV boot and replaced the brakes and the hydraulic hatch opener thingies, but other than those smallish issues it has been smooth sailing. Complaints: the interior has way too few cupholders (yeah I know, that's crazy to focus on but it actually has been an issue); the driver's side mirror basically fell off pretty early on so there are some issues with the quality of the interior construction; the car holds on to moisture (it can fog up *on the inside* sometimes, which is weird- but it's only happened a few times), but on the whole the car has been everything I wanted. It drives through deep snow like it's nothing; it can haul a ton of stuff; passengers have loads of legroom; I can parallel park it with ease. It's actually a really big (roomy inside) vehicle but it drives like a much smaller one - very manageable. The minimal (almost lack of ) "blind spot" is also great. I love my Subaru and will hate to sell it...hope that day doesn't come for a while!

Best In SNOW

by from Traverse City, MI on January 31, 2012

This is my second Subaru, I owned a 1991 sedan, which was very small. I live in the Michigan snow belt and NEVER got stuck in snow with either vehicle. Repairs are a little high, but this car is worth it.

Cost me thousands of $$$ for head gasket repairs

by from Vancouver, WA on August 15, 2011

This was my first new car, and I enjoyed the driving experience-- until the head gasket started leaking and needed replacement at around 60K. After that, the replacement seals leaked and needed replacement every other year to the tune of around $600 per replacement. This occurred three times until the gasket blew and wasn't noticed until the block had cracked-- after the original + 3 replacements = four gaskets. It died at 120K, which is "fair" for any car but I had certainly expected a much longer lifespan for the vehicle, which was otherwise running and was maintained fine. The only other criticism was the placement of the drink holders: the dual holders pop out above the climate and radio controls: When you have a drink being held, it is impossible to access either of these.

Good used car to buy

by from Framingham, MA on August 5, 2010

I have had it for about 2 mos. and have no complaints. It drives smooth. Not too shabby mileage for the age of the car. It gives me around 23 in city. Haven't driven much on highway. Looking forward to another decade on this vehicle.

Our Expert Review: 2000 Subaru Outback