Model Details

4.4
Average based on 13 reviews

GREAT GREAT GREAT!!!!!!!

by from NYC, NYC on October 19, 2010

I love My outback, it's awsome in the snow and it rides smooth, I got about 130k on my outback LL bean editions and it doesn't look like it's gonna quit anytime soon, it rides like a horse.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Mixed feelings? Hard to say

by from Upstate, NY on November 14, 2009

My wife bought this wagon from her parents last year ('08). Her parents were told by a dealer, shortly after they bought it in '02, that it had the motor (2.5L) replaced already...really?!?! Whether that's true or not, the car held up it's end very nicely since then. It's not old, but it has 175K and a rust problem (thanks NY!!). I spent a good $500+ on parts this year since her parents didn't want to sink any money into it last year (hence selling it dirt cheap to us). I can say, for the miles, 2 front struts, a knock and camshaft sensor, catback exhaust, rear wheel bearing and control arm bushing, front caliper, pads and rotors all around and a tranny fluid change are pretty good for the amount of miles. The most expensive part ended up being a set of tires; sadly, 1 is almost shot already due to noticing too late that the rear end was out of alignment (control arm bushing loose). The motor and tranny are very smooth and are leak/smoke free. You really have to hit the gas to climb a hill and the car does not have much power, especially with passengers. Very comfortable ride with lots of space front to back! Heated cloth seats are wonderful when -20* outside! Heater and a/c are amazing! Worst con: avg mpg in low 20s with 4 cyl. Car is way too heavy, even with AWD. Best mileage was 26 on hwy trip. The gas mileage and rust holes are making us look for something else likely in the coming spring.

dependable

by from vermont on November 14, 2010

Very dependable in vermont winters, especially on our steep dirt road. One problem I have, and that is with the latch to the trunk. It is routinely very hard to open due to rusting. Other people that I have talked to that own a Subaru outback have also reported the same problem

Best Car ever

by from Hamilton, ON on June 28, 2010

I have owned this car from the begining. I now have 316,000 km and it showes no signs of stopping. since me buying this vehicle I have talked it up so much that 3 of my friends each bought one, and so did my wife and she never listens to me. The car obviously speaks for itself.

I love my car!

by from Tobyhanna, PA on September 22, 2012

I recently purchased a 2001 Subaru Outback and I LOVE IT. It is a reliable car and a great deal for my money. I recommend this car for anyone who wants an all wheel drive stylish reliable vehicle.

First car I've owned in years

by from Apple Valley, MN on March 27, 2012

I've been driving jeeps and minivans. This is the first car I've owned in years. I really enjoy driving it. The mpg is great compared to my last vehicle. Hope to have this for years. The only annoyance I've had is the wind noise in the driver's side front window. There is no frame around the window (which I love when the window is down) but there is wind noise on the driver's side. Don't know if that can be remedied or not.

2001 outback - backin' out

by from Norwalk, CT on October 5, 2010

Not a bad car overall but the wind noise is a pain and we've had to have the brakes done every couple years... but it's safe and mostly reliable

Excellent car- has held up well

by from Boston area on May 1, 2009

Bought new in '01, have 120K miles on it now. Car has been incredibly reliable. We have 4 cyl with 5 speed manual. Had one major issue-- at about 85K miles, the head gasket was leaking. Estimate was $3K for repair-- but it turned out to be covered by a recall- so it was no charge. Pluses: - still very comfy - heated seats are great! - Interior materials have held up well to 8 years of wear. - we have averaged about 24 MPG Minor complaints: - Interval wipers are not adjustable- you can't vary the rate. - keyless entry system has stopped working

Love My Subie!

by from Alaska on March 27, 2009

I got this car 6 years ago and it is just the right size for hauling bikes, kayaks, and camping in the back end (barely but it works!). The only thing I have had to replace is the hydraulics in the trunk...great little car. Hope it lasts me another 6 years.

I LOVE MY CAR!!!!!!!!!!

by from FT COLLINS CO on June 17, 2015

ERIC WENDT WAS MY SALESMEN HE WAS EXCEPTIONAL IN EVERY WAY. HE TOOK CARE OF ME THROUGH THE WHOLE PROCESS. MAY ME FEEL LIKE I WAS PART OF THE DELLENBACH FAMILY. I WOULD DEFINITELY RECOMMEND DELLENBACH TO ALL MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY. THANK TO THE WHOLE TEAM AT DELLENBACH THAT MADE IT HAPPEN .