2004 4Runner

2004 Toyota 4Runner

2004 Toyota 4Runner

Have You Driven the 2004 Toyota 4Runner?

Most reliable car Ive ever owned

by V84runner from Coeur D Alene, Idaho on Wed May 29 2019

Fun to drive & super reliable. Nothing not to like. V8 is super smooth & quiet with plenty of power. I will always drive Toyotas.

Toyota 4runner

by Joey P from Colombus, Oh on Sat Jul 14 2012

I have owned 2 Toyota 4runners. My 2004 4runner was my favorite. I NEVER had any problems with it. Only thing I had to do was change the oil, battery, and tires. Very reliable vehicle!! Performance was great also! It's obvious why Toyota vehicles, especially the 4ruuner, retain such good retail value!! Theses vehicles are made with the highest quality and engineering. Tototas will easily last over 300,000 miles!

Best car I've ever owned

by Missslucrew from Kingsburg, Ca on Fri Apr 17 2015

I bought my 2004 Limited 4X4 V8 with 88k miles on it. That made me nervous thinking I would be turning 100k soon and I wouldn't own it that long. But after having it for a few years, I don't even remember it has 130k on it! The transmission is the smoothest ever, the power is there when you need it and it looks awesome inside and out. The V8 has towed everything my husbands Chevy Diesel has (not as fast maybe!) and on the sand dunes, I was keeping up with lifted 4X4s all day! I will drive this car until it dies....but that doesn't seem to be anytime soon. So maybe when my toddler is ready to drive, I will go ahead a buy a new car.

Best SUV in America

by Toyota Girl! from Stafford Va on Mon Nov 07 2011

I LOVE the Toyota 4Runner, its good on gas and very reliable. It also helps she looks good too! I had a 1998 and gave that to my son, 258,000 miles still runs good. I love and highly recommend cars.com very user friendly and have purchased several cars that I found on here. You Cars.com Cookie

New owner impressions - Toyota 4Runner

by Country Gentleman from Maryland on Tue Nov 07 2006

We just traded a 1997 Ford Explorer V6 4WD for a 2004 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD. I know it is difficult to compare across model years, because of changes, but here are comparison impressions anyway. The cars are similar enough that I think the comparisons are valid. We need a truck-based SUV for a variety of "country living" activities, including light hauling and occasional off-road driving, but it is our primary "trip" vehicle, so it needs to be comfortable. The primary initial impression is that the 4Runner ride is smoother and significantly quieter. Performance is nearly the same, but the 4Runner doesn't seem to strain and "thrash" quite so much when reaching highway speed. My wife, who is the principal day-to-day driver, says the 4Runner takes a "lighter touch", which she likes. Interior room and comfort seem about the same, except the back seat in the 4Runner is more comfortable. We didn't rate reliability because we haven't had the car long enough. Toyotas are notoriously reliable, so we will see. The Explorer wasn't bad; over 200,000 miles with one major engine repair (timing chain idler), one transfer case repair (broken gear), and a transmission seal replacement. If the Toyota is as good or better, I'll be happy. I liked the 5-speed transmission in the Explorer. The 4Runner has a 5-speed for the V8, but the V6 has a 4-speed. Nevertheless, shifts are smooth. 4th gear seems very high; engne rpm is only 2100-2200 at 70 mph, whereas the Explorer was around 2500 rpm at that speed. I understand gas mileage for the 4Runner is not too good. We haven't had enough experience to know

best car I have ever owned

by cowboy from cincinnati ohio on Sat Aug 22 2015

I have been driving for over 50 years and the best thing I ever did in January is buy my 2004 Toyota 4-runner limited V8 4.7 liter engine. It had 18 miles on it when I bought it. It has now 304,000....same engine same transmission. It is the best car I ever had. It turns on a dime hauls anything I ask it to do with no strain or complaint. I love it as much as my horse...and that says something. Sad note I had some minor work done at the dealer and looked around and the current 4runner is under powered no more v8 engine. It is not the same. I do not know what I will do when I have to look for another car. Hopefully I wont have to as I am trying to get to a half million, wish me luck. don

The one thing I can rely on

by Satisfied original owner from San Antonio, TX on Wed Oct 03 2012

I bought the 2004 SR5 Sport new, that was almost 9 years ago. It only has about 55,000 miles on it because I have a short urban commute but it's my only vehicle so I need for it to go wherever I want. And it does. Whether on my short urban drives or cross-country trips, this car has never failed me. I chose it originally because of the truck chassis, high clearance, and decent gas mileage. I've kept it because it hasn't cost me trouble or money. It gets routine maintenance. Other than that, both components of the catalytic converter were replaced under warranty. The one structural problem is that the sunroof somehow drains into the cabin. Twice the dealer temporarily "fixed" this by cleaning the drain, then suggested that I keep it out of the rain. Overall, I am very pleased with this vehicle. It feels safe and I know it is reliable.

2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited (Black)

by Face Doctor from Brookfield, WI. on Wed Jan 02 2013

I was upgrading in vehicle features and not model year due to price and payment per month needed. I had a 2004 color Silver 4Runner base model but was looking for the color Black and with more interior features. So I purchased a 2004 Black 4Runner Limited. This is my 4th Toyota 4Runner in the last 12 years and all of them were purchased used, why take the new car price hit. The interior features are incredible, comfort unmatched in my opinion. The heated seats, V-8 engine and leather interior is incredible. I bought a one owner vehicle at a dealership in Illinois that was really taken good care of. I bought it with 100k miles on it and was a bit skeptical to begin with due to the miles, but it's a TOYOTA and they just keep running with little or no problems, just normal brake pads and rotors. Very very happy with my new purchase off cars.com website which led me to the dealership I bought my 4Runner at last month. Thanks CARS.COM !!! The Face Doctor.

Love this truck

by NY guy from New York, ny on Sun Jan 13 2013

We bought our 2004 4runner limited V8 with 74k on it to upgrade from our 1994 4runner sr5 (which still ran like a top with 150k on it, but i wanted airbags). I love this truck. It looks great and it handles and accelerates (with premium gas in it it's a monster) as well as my old BMW. I love the pull of the V8. It feels sturdy as heck in turns- ours has the gas suspension that was an option new. It really adds to the stability. The truck barely has any body roll in tight turns at speed. I am now at 100k which I know is no sweat for these trucks - i just keep changing the oil and the brake pads and this thing is as good as new. Lots of cargo room for our dogs and a great sounding stereo. My next truck will be another 4runner if this one ever dies.

Rusted out from the East Coast

by Toyota for the long haul from South Carolina on Thu Sep 07 2017

Still looked good and drove fine. I crawled under the car after the test drive and rust was shredding the frame. One of the front tow hooks had been completely dissolved from rust.

out of 5 starsReliability