2005 Toyota Avalon

An all-around great car

by from Binghamton, NY on February 1, 2012

Overall, the best car we owned over the past 55 years. Quiet and comfortable as a Buick, but handles like my old BMW 325. The most roomy back seat of any sedan we know of, a plus because we frequently carry lots of passengers. There were several recalls, but all were handled expeditiously. No significant problems for 106,000 miles, and we traded it in for a 2008 Avalon.

One of the best cars I have had

by from Greenville, NC on November 14, 2011

Have had this car six months now. It has been a great value, with over 30 mpg on long trips. Would recommend it to anyone.

Excellent highway vehicle

by from Cincinnati, OH on August 19, 2012

Highway MPG is great for a car this large, avg 32+, city is low 20's. This is my second Avalon and hope to get another 200K plus on this one as well. Would recommend to anyone looking for a comfortable highway car.

Great Car For The Price

by from on November 30, 2010

This is a larger car that surprisingly provides great power with highly respectible gas mileage. Very comfortable and quiet. Everything you look for in a higher end vehicle.

Great car for the money

by from atlanta, ga on March 2, 2009

This is a great car for the money. I've owned it for 2 years now and everything is great. They have 60K warranty on drivetrain, and I never had any problems with mine. I'm not a car freak, but I do keep up with my maintenance, so everything is great.And parts are cheap for this car, so it helps. Anyways, car runs great,very decent on long trips and very stable, interior has looots of room!!! I love it!!!

Impressive

by from Kansas City, MO on November 14, 2009

I have my avalon for almost a year now and I am loving every minute of it. I bought a used a XLS Avalon with the Blizzard Pearl Paint and I think it is one of the sexiest cars on the road. I have done but routine maintaince. They guy that owned it before traded it in for a new corvette a local chevy dealer was pretty particular about his cars. He had all service records from new and the window sticker in the glove box. This car is fast for how big and heavy it is. Toyota is claiming 0-60 in 6.0 and I believe it will do it. The great thing about his motor is they test in the desert for 2 years before putting this motor into production so you know its right. The car is quiet and handles great and on a straight highway run i'm getting between 32 and 33mpg. What a nice a car. There are a few things that I don't like about the car. The intermediate shaft has a design flaw and toyota wants $350 to replace with the redisign one. It bothered me at first with the steering wheel clunking a little bit but know that I ahve gotten use to it, I don't notice it anymore. The other problem I had with this car was the mushy brake pedal. Every toyota I have driven up until this one had a really touchy brake pedal and this one never did. Come to find out the brakes that are on the car were actually desinged for and share the same componets as the 03-06 Camry's. I solved this problem by purchasing a set of drilled and slotted rotors and a nice set of cermaic pads from the pars store and it solved all of problems Great car and will buy another one

best car i have had

by from North Carolina on February 9, 2012

I own a 2005 Toyota Avalon and i love it. Smooth ride roomy cabine and it will also get up and go. Great on gas into town and out on road love this car.

Exceptional Vehicle

by from Kansas City on January 25, 2009

Excellent car. Typical of Toyota's history of excellence. For a full size, luxuriously appointed vehicle, it offers fuel economy, great acceleration, comfort, style and features. There doesn't seem to be a car on the market that offers as much as the Avalon. There is a reason they are hard to find and command high resale - their drivers keep them.

Top Gun

by from Pittsburgh, PA on October 9, 2009

now, having over 40,000 miles and not one single issue with the car. i've changed tires since the originals have worn out. i have the Limited model with all the options. i like the adaptive cruise control, heated/cooled seats, and navigation setup, although the navigation system could be better in the software side. as far as fuel economy goes, i've never gotten below 26 mpg and when on long distance trips on the interstate i always get over 31 mpg. on a trip from Nashville, TN to NYC, i averaged 72 mph getting 32 mpg, only stopping for fuel. about the only thing i'd improve on are the outside mirrors, there's a huge blind spot on the driver's side and the seats could use some side bolsters on the backsides and contoured edges on the seating surfaces. it's a great touring car.

A1 Very good value

by from North Carolina on December 20, 2009

Normal maintenance is all it has ever required. Gas milage: town 24 to 28;highway 32 to 35 depending on speed.It is a joy to drive on long road trips and is very comfortable. The separate heating and a/c for driver and passenger is great. One thing that would be very nice to have is automatic driver seat adjustment for two.

Our Expert Review: 2005 Toyota Avalon