2013 Camry Hybrid

4.4 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.8 out of 5 starsReliability

Superb Comfortable Ride and Great Fuel Mileage

by MegaChubbie from North Georgia on April 23, 2013

Traded in a 2012 Elantra that handled horribly, but wanted to keep good fuel mileage and get something bigger and more comfortable. The Camry Hybrid was the perfect choice, ride is incredibly smooth and with the Michelin MXV4 tires, this car will coast forever. Overall quality is great with a quiet ride and MUCH better handling than the Hyundai/KIA crowd. Just a few minor quibbles. The GOOD: Smooth quiet ride, excellent fuel economy (AND ACCURATE!), JBL stereo is good, comfortable interior with lots of rear seat leg room. Torque is good when combined with the electric motor, Backup camera and peripheral/blindside package works great, especially when you are backing up and you hear the warning of traffic coming from either side that you can't see. Really like the keyless entry and swiping the door with your finger to lock the doors. The BAD: Ok, c'mon guys, switch to Lithium Ion batteries!! MUCH lighter and much better than NiMH. Don't care for the CVT, wish they would have offered the 6-speed AUTO tranny. May just be me, but I like to control the A/C-heater fan with a knob and not a tiny rocker button. Regenerative braking takes a lot of getting used to and just doesn't stop as well as standard braking. Voice activation for phone is extremely difficult to use if not worthless. The $199 Alpine I put in my truck destroys the Camry. Not excited at all about Entune subscription-based BS. Overall navigation is decent though. OVERALL: Worth every dime IMO. Smooth ride, great gas mileage, comfortable seating, great reliability, what more do you want in a car? Just make SURE when you put new tires on the Hybrid that you go with low rolling resistance tires or your gas mileage will drop by about 2-3 MPG. I highly recommend the Michelin MXV4's as we had them on our 1997 Accord and was glad to see Toyota use them on the Camry. I have also confirmed with two tanks of gas that the on-board computer is exactly correct with the fuel mileage (the Hyundai we bought was off by 2-3 MPG on EVERY tank). Buy one, you won't regret it. My wife and I have already decided that we will never buy another car/SUV/truck that is not a hybrid. I did a LOT of research before buying this car, and the Camry is currently the best out there if you are looking for room, comfort, and decent power along with an affordable price tag.

Best Camry I've ever had - am very enthused!

by JDiver in Roseville, CA from Roseville, CA on September 23, 2013

We've had this 2013 Camry XLE Hybrid since early July 2013, and have put about 2,000 miles on it in most conditions possible. We enjoy the comfort - very quiet (especially after owning a Prius 3 years) and much better road ride, and the mass of the car means less wind gust sensitivity. We drove it during quite a storm (rain, winds) 21 Sep and it was a relative joy to drive. Steering has generally been soft on Camrys, but this one is quite manageable. Visibility is great (no major Prius blind spots, and the side mirror and backup warnings plus rear view cam with guidelines are really great. I'm 6'4" / 193 cm and large, so the seat is important to me - it's quite comfortable overall, and the heat built in is convenient. The seat bottom of the leather seat can get feeling a bit flat after a couple of hours, is I'll likely get a thin, high-density foam cushion for it. The HVAC has worked well even when temperatures have been in the 100's. The moon roof works flawlessly - we used it on a lovely central California coastal highway / CA 1 trip and it's completely easy and watertight when closed, a breeze (literally) when open, letting in air but not huge blasts. The trunk and back seat passthrough are slightly smaller than the normally powered Camry - the battery does take up some real estate, but it's not that much - the trunk area still has good capacity for two of us with gear and suitcases. Gas mileage is spectacular - I am used to manufacturers fudging fuel stats, so I am very happy to be getting 42 MPG on short commutes with stop lights and 42- 45 MPG on longer highway trips. Using tips from my Prius when I was trying to get high averages I have been able to get 46-48 MPG on some highway and up to 53+ MPG truly hypermiling it. Presumably the 17" wheels / tires reduce fuel efficiency, but not that I've noticed - and they do keep the front air dam from scraping on sidewalk lips and the like, which was common with the Prius. The nav system takes a bit of getting used to after previously owning an Avalon and Prius - no standardization, of course! - but it works quite well once one puts a bit of study into it. Audio is also a bit more complex, but getting to know how to use it all is worth the effort - I quite like my XM Sirius and the Entune-enabled services, though it took a bit of work to get it all up and talking to each other (the newest Sep ~20 Entune app seems to work much better on my Android-OS smartphone). In my opinion, this is one well thought out and designed car, and both of us (my wife and I) dearly love it. I'd buy again in a trice, and feel quite comfortable recommending this car to others.

Best combination of fuel economy and performance

by Fuel Economy Enthusiast from Ellicott City, MD on September 17, 2013

I have been driving my new 2013 Camry Hybrid for three weeks now and I am still amazed by the excellent combination of fuel economy and power it offers. The 200 HP combined gas and electric power is more than adequate for merging into fast moving highway traffic and I routinely get 45 miles per gallon on my 30 mile drive to work. The car is very quiet and has a solid feel that I have come to expect from Toyota. The blind spot monitor is a very useful option to consider. My only complaint is that the audio system is very complex and takes too much of my attention off the road to adjust.

2013 Camry hybrid XLE Super car

by Randy from Colorado Springs, Co. on March 9, 2013

I bought my new camry XLE about a month ago. I must say I am totally impressed with it. I have owned 8 canmry's before and had become disenchanted with camrys lately. The last one I had was a 2011 camry XLE. I was very disappointed with it. I looked at the 2013 Camry very hard in every way before buying it. It passed all my concerns so far. It rides like a dream. The milage is even better than I had hioped for. and the quality most of all is back. This car i can own and enjoy a while.

Camry Hybrid

by Gene from Seattle on April 2, 2013

I only have 800 miles on this car, but so far it is getting 40 mpg hwy and city and the performance of the hybrid drive train is seamless.

Excellent car

by jvp from Aberdeen, MD on August 2, 2014

I bought this 2013 vehicle since Thompson Toyota in Edgewood, MD was giving an excellent discount. So far I am not disappointed because this car is performing exactly as advertised. I am getting 40-42 MPG each fill up and I live in Maryland where we had the worse winter last year. I've had the vehicle now for 6 months and it handles everything that nature or I throw at it to drive on. Cornering is great, safety electronic system functions really well, and driveability and rideability is like a dream. Sure the car is quite expensive but you do get what you pay for, and the 2013 Toyota Camry Hybrid I believe is such a good value. My previous vehicles were Nissan but driving this vehicle has sold me back to Toyota and I am no longer a skeptic. So far so good and I think this vehicle will give me at least 10 years of its life.

Most Comfortable, Quiet Car I've Owned

by Classy Car Rider from California City, CA on April 9, 2013

This car is quiet on the road; literally glides. Its autolight, cruise control, and automatic lock and unlock when driver is outside the door and has key in his/her pocket or purse, are user-friendly. The HD sound is awesome.

Overall, very pleased

by First time Camry from Newburgh, IN on May 7, 2014

I've had my Hybrid Camry now for two weeks, 500 miles or so. The weather is mild here (May) so little need for A/C or heat. This lets the engine run less, so I'm seeing great mileage. Like around 39 mpg around town and 42 on the Interstate, holding a steady 70. I like everything about this car EXCEPT the GPS. The section of I-69 from Evansville to just short of Bloomington has been open for more than 18 months. This is part of a major Canada/Mexico road, and it still is not shown on the Camry GPS. Every GPS program on my iPhone has shown this road for more than a year. Likewise, there are many other missing roads. Toyota GPS is a huge disappointment and NOT worth the money. Use your phone and save the money.

2014 Camry Hybrid a good car for the money.

by KGCommuter from West Suburbs of Chicago on January 20, 2014

Value is good. The electronics standard with an LE model were a very pleasant surprise. The blue tooth connection is awesome, hands free telephone and hooks up to the ipod flawlessly. Disappointed with overall millage. I'm only getting 36 average driving in city and did see 38 mpg once. I expected to 38 to 40 always like many of the reviews are saying. Could be the cold Chicago weather as we are still in January and the car has only 2k miles on it so far. I'll not nit pick on this yet. To improve mileage you can drive like a Gramma. And that will improve mpg by a 2 or 3 mpg but driving like that in Chicago will get you killed. Seriously! You have to keep up with traffic at all times. Other little things. The front window post combined with the drivers mirror seems to block a lot of vision There is no dash light in or around the USB or power connection terminals area, so you can't see to plug your USB in at night. Plus, so far I can't seem to get my USB working. Not detecting devices when plugged in and will not charge a device either. Lastly, the center arm rest and the door arm rests are not at the same height. So resting your elbows on both of these makes you slightly tilted. For people who hold their wheel up high, It probably doesn't matter.

getting to know you

by Toyota fan from Central Pa on June 1, 2014

Attracted by MPG of hybrids but felt v. awkward in Prius w such an intrusive dash and small back window, my husband and I were initially "stuck" for a hybrid solution in Toyota or Honda make that we could find used. The Camry Hybrid has been around, though, and seems to have improved in it's MPG and hopefully in glitches we may not have, heard abt. Still wish this car did not have such a low front grill/bumper and the steering is "floaty" feeling so that you have to adjust, but so far (5wks) have been happy w mileage and w performance.

1 2 3 4