2006 Highlander Hybrid

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Have You Driven the 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid?

2006_HiHy_Great_MPG_Nice_Acceleration!

by LUV_My_HiHy from Tacoma, Wa on Tue Jun 05 2012

They say on the label that the Highlander Hybrid AWD is rated at 33/30, MPG. I am very pleased to be getting an average 27 MPG in a very hilly area. I tow a utility trailer on occasion and have a family of 6. We all fit, (Car seats included!) I can fit 7 adults with no trouble. When I am the only one in the vehicle, I can truly get the rated 0-60 in 7.1 seconds. I have no concerns about getting on the freeway, and the traction control keeps it tight to the road. Even in this wet North West climate, I don't slip. It is a 2-seater pickup, a 5-seat sedan, and a 7- seat SUV all in 1! I love this SUV.

Tree hugging suv

by Shameless Cub Fan from New Rochelle, NY on Sat Feb 13 2010

I bought a Toyota Hylander Hybrid in 2006, the first year they came out. Being risk averse and a little nervous about the longevity of the hybrid battery system and related unknowns, I purchased the extended warranty. Overall, I have been very happy with this car. I should let you know that I am hardly unbiased: my wife and I are long-time Toyota loyalists, the current horrible press nonwithstanding. We have bought 4 Toyotas since 1984--and nothing else (84 Tercel, 94 Camry Wagon, the Highlander, and a 2009 Prius); in addition, my business car is a 2010 Highland Hybrid. Our 2006 Highlander has 60,000 miles on it. It has plenty of power, handles beautifully (including snow and rain), has plenty of room for us and our 2 kids and mutt. Toyota also has a lifetime warranty on shocks, which came in handy when our front left one had to be replaced recently. Toyota also fully covered a defective left strut. The only drawbacks: 1. It cost a bundle. We paid $40k for it and because it was in demand (6 month waiting list, hybrid), dealers would not give us a break on the MSRP. 2. Fuel economy is not as great as advertised. The sticker in the showroom said 22-26; I'd say we get between 20-24, primarily suburban and highway driving. I notice that even in the City, mileage isn't much better than that (which should not be the case). However, compared to a traditional Highlander, mileage is probably 2-4 mpg better. Bottom line: if you are going to justify the purchase b/c you expect to save $ on gas, forget it. 3. Getting back to the extended warranty, it was a good thing we purchased it! After about 50,000 miles, the on-board ECM (computer) crapped out. It took the dealer about 4 hours to diagnose, they had to remove the dashboard, and if we hadn't gotten the warranty, it would have cost us $2000. All in all, if I had to set the clock back to 2006, I would still have bought the Highlander. It is a wonderful car.

We REALLY Like This Car

by JHW from Pittsburgh, PA on Wed Oct 27 2010

The day I bought this car, we drove it on a 2,000 mile round trip, and it was great. It's been great ever since. It has lots of room inside, rides very comfortably, has every feature we need, though not every feature we'd want, and is just a pleasure to drive or ride in. And the gas mileage is great for car that can seat 7. It's really a home run. The things we don't like or would like.... I wish the stereo had USB inputs, AUX inputs and Bluetooth inputs. It has none. And you can't in practical terms upgrade to aftermarket because it's integrated into the stearing wheel and electronics in the dashboard. Like a lot of cars, the driver window automatically goes all the way opened or closed on command. It could be a LOT easier to stop it in the middle than it is. The cup holder in the console is really stupid. Good luck holding one beverage well. Forget holding two. The illumination from the headlights is rather ordinary. I'm used to high discharge bulbs from our other cars, even the Acura RL this is replacing. The navigation is really the pits, just as all factory nav systems invariably are. The rest of this vehicle is exactly right. Exactly.

Love it!

by Hybrid Enthusiast from Wauwatosa, WI on Wed Nov 21 2012

Just recently purchased the 2006 Limited (2 weeks ago), after looking at them and contemplating buying one for over a year. I paid a little less than $15k for a loaded model with just under 90k miles and one owner. I absolutely love driving it - a step up from the plush minivan that I had been driving. I got over 400 miles on my first tank of gas with mixed driving - an average of 27 mpg for November in WI. I like the way it looks, both inside and out. I am looking forward to taking it on a couple of long winter trips next month!

Wonderful, fuel efficient SUV with 3 rows of seati

by ThriftyT from Fishers, Indiana on Mon Dec 26 2011

When it was time to replace our 2004 Honda Odyssey LX, we knew we wanted an suv with a 3rd row of seating for our kids' friends, if needed. My top choice was the Buick Enclave, due to it's remarkable styling and amenities. However, it's not rated very well on Consumer Reports. The practical side of me kicked in. I purchased a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hibrid for $18k with 80k miles on it. Leather interior, heated seats, a sunroof, 3rd row seating, perfect condition all appealled to me. I must say that I am very pleased with the car. The ride is smooth, design is great, and it's roomy enough for my family of 5. I would rate it all 5s but I don't think that the mileage is quite as good as promised. The dash message says I'm getting 25.6 mpg, but I think I'm getting more like 22 mpg, which is 6 mpg better than the Odyssey and 8 mpg better than the Enclave. Also, I don't love the way the car feels when it shifts out of gas and into the battery. . . to me it should be seamless.

Awesome Highlander Hybrid

by Satisfied Owner from San Diego, CA on Mon Aug 20 2012

Bought it new in 2006 when it first came out. Never had any problem for six years now. Drove it in the snow a few times with great traction on a mountainous area of Washington state. Went on a long multi-state drive with ease & comfort. I love the acceleration, keeps up and faster than some sport sedans. MPG is in mid-low 20s but because I drive it like a sports car and still better MPG than any other AWD SUVs.

Unexpectedly Surprised

by da fishman from PA on Fri Sep 17 2010

In an effort to do something about fuel consumption in today's world, I decided to investigate hybrid vehicles. I researched them, and then purchased a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Other than the fact that it does not get the factory advertised mileage of (27 hwy/33 city), after driving for about 3,000 miles now, I am absolutely ecstatic about this vehicle. It is large enough for hauling, well built, well designed, very comfortable, safe, and loaded with the quality extras that I have come to enjoy & demand. Everything works perfectly, as this was a well maintained used car. I avg. between 25-28 mpg around town (dbl. my past vehicle) and I can't say enough about the amazing Synergy hybrid system. INCREDIBLE! I can already see myself buying another used Toyota Hybrid. (since the cost of new is extremely HIGH) My wife, who could really care less about a car, as long as it gets her around, really likes this one, and is now talking about looking into getting a used Prius hybrid for herself. If only everyone drove one of these, we could cut our nations oil dependence drastically, AND clean the air as well. Of all the cars I have ever owned, even used, this may be my favorite one ever. I love this car!!!

164896 miles and still rolling along just fine

by eric95014 from cupertino ca on Wed May 10 2017

we have had our hybrid highlander for nearly 11 years and it is working great. We get an average of just over 26 MPG. Only major repair was covered under the toyota warranty early on -- the inverter needed to be replaced. Other than that, it hasn't had anything other than scheduled maintenance. Now for the issues: The AC blows hot sometimes (just need to adjust the temp control and it is fine), the radio volume control is erratic (need to play with it to get the volume you want), the driver's arm rest cushion is totally flat (I sewed a pillow on top of it), the paint is starting to look like it is ten years old (well, I am starting to look like I am 70). And, you already know this, seats 6 and seven are really small.

Best car I have owned (and a hybrid, too)

by Environmentalist driver from Washington, DC on Wed Mar 12 2008

This is a wonderful vehicle. It handles like an automobile (it is based on the Toyota Camry), has space like a SUV, and consumes gas like a hybrid. It has a very gentle ride, great suspension, very comfortable, turns with ease. I can't say anything bad about it, except that I wish Toyota would lower the price (and that more companies followed Toyota's example and came out with hybrid models). This is also the fourth hybrid I have had (the others being the Toyota Prius - also an incredible car!)

298,679 miles and still dependable!

by Janie girl! from Annapolis, MD to Maine! on Tue Mar 20 2018

Hybrid battery original . No major repairs, just oil changes and belts every 100,000miles. This vehicle is made to run!! Trying for 400,000 miles! Looks like new! Love it!!

1 2 3 4